Antiochus II Theos Tetradrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Magnus Maximus, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Spurred on by my fascination of intertwine microbiology and history, I tried my hand at an Alexander III Babylon tetradrachm recently but came up short in the bidding. Alexander likely died of either typhoid fever( Salmonella enterica spp) or Malaria (Plasmodium spp.): dying of either would not be pleasant.
    To make up for the loss of that coin, I got one from one of his successors: Antiochus II Theos the King of the Seleucid Kingdom who ruled from 261 to 246 BCE.
    I may start dipping into Seleucid coinage, possibly getting one of Antiochus I or III.
    Feel free to post your Seleucids.
    261-246 BC, Seleucia on the Tigris
    Denomination: Tetradrachm
    Weight: 16.910
    References: SC-587.4a
    Details: Obv: Diademed portrait of Antiochus II r., Rx: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ Apollo, slight drapery on r. thigh, seated l. on omphalos, testing arrow and resting l. hand on bow, control marks in left and right fields.
    Fine+
    images.asp.jpeg

images-1.asp.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

Nice coin, I reckon Alexander was poisoned but I guess we will never know :(

ominus1 likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great capture, @Magnus Maximus ! Very nice Tet.

Here is a Seleukid of mine; a little AE to mix it up:

[​IMG]
    Seleucid Seleukos I 312-280 BCE AE 20 Athena-Elephant Spaer 129

5. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congrats on the awesome tet of Antiochus II @Magnus Maximus you picked up a nice coin. The tetradrachms of Seleukos I thru Antiochus II are quite plentiful and can be had at fairly low prices. This is my favorite tet of Antiochus II in my collection.
    [​IMG]Antiochus II Theos AR Tetradracm 261-246 BC Seleucia on the Tigris mint.
    29mm 17.05g
    Obv: diademed head of Antiochus right.
    Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ / ANTI−OXOY, Apollo seated left on omphalos, examining arrow with right, resting left hand on grounded bow, monogram outer left, monogram outer right.
    Houghton-Lorber 587

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..very nice silver tet...me, i'm like me good friend @Alegandron and have went the little bronze way of old Antios ll Theos(i think his is Antios lll?)..they minted some fine coins Pardon the Nero, i got them as a set:snaphappy::pics::rolleyes: Nero SPQR   Antiocus ll lyre apollo 001.JPG Nero SPQR   Antiocus ll lyre apollo 002.JPG

David@PCC, Johndakerftw, TIF and 2 others like this.
  7. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Certainly possible.

I was thinking it was typhoid based on this article. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15081504/

To me, I feel it would be quite ironic that the man who conquered the known world was possibly conquered by microscopic organisms he couldn’t see.
    318384FE-88A0-4038-A86B-CBCCC2A7AA1A.jpeg

TIF likes this.
  8. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Won this tetradrachm at Ancient & Medieval Coins Canada, in December 2018: the head is Antiochos I Soter, looking very much like Antiochus II :confused:

29 mm, 16.81 g
    Seleukeia on the Tigris, 263-261 BC; monograms 97 and 139 in "Numismatica Hellenica - A catalogue of Greek coins"

Ref.: Houghton-Lorber I SC 379.6c; HGC 9, 128g; Newell ESM 166; SCO 482;
    Ob.: Diademed head of Antiochos, right, border of dots
    Rev.: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY Apollo Delphios seated left on omphalos, slight drapery on right thigh, holding arrow, resting hand on grounded bow; monogram 97 (primary control symbol) outer left, ∆/ΩP (secondary control symbol) right

upload_2019-9-28_0-31-52.png

9. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

1743F1E6-DC3C-4935-B0F9-90BC0550FE81.jpeg

Antiochos II Theos, 261-246 BC. Tetradrachm (Silver, 30 mm, 14.99 g), Seleukeia on the Tigris. Diademed head of Antiochos II to right. Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ - ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ Apollo seated left on omphalos, holding arrow in his right hand and resting his left on grounded bow; to left and right, monograms. SC 587.1d.

10. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Tetradrachm of Antiochos II Sardies Obv. Head of Antiochos I Rv Apollo seated left on omphalos SC 518b 17.05 grms 30 mm SKantiochosII-1.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted