Featured Antioch in Pisidia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nicholasz219, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Justin Lee, Several years ago I scored a handsome bronze of Septimius Severus from the ancient Thracian city of Augusta Traiana (modern day Stara Zagora, Bulgaria), that is strikingly similar to your coin from Antioch in Pisidia, see photos below. Augusta Traiana, as the name would imply, was named after emperor Trajan. The center depressions on my coin would indicate the planchet was lathe turned. The reverse figure on my coin has been identified as Homonoia (goddess of concord, unanimity, & oneness of mind) sacrificing over an altar. Dimensions are: 28 mm, 15.51 gm, 6h.
    4100535-024 obv.jpg 4100535-024 rev.jpg

Marsyas Mike, TJC, TIF and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Need a little help here :confused:

Have this common Augustus Dupondius, RIC 528, and I am trying to figure out what the letter A (or inverted V) on the obverse means.

26 x 27 mm, 18.08 g; Antioch of Pisidia, ca. 5 -12 AD
    Ob.: IMP AVGVST•TR• POT• Laureate head of Augustus to right

The lettering on the left clearly starts with TR• POT and on the right IMP AVGVST starts about 1 o'clock, ending at the base of the front part of Augustus' neck.
    Unfortunately numismatics.org has no pictures for RIC 528.

Rev.: S•C in linear circle and wreath with 8 leaves, tied at the bottom

Any ideas or references where I can look up the A (or V)?

upload_2019-4-20_22-55-39.png upload_2019-4-20_22-55-51.png

4. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

This is actually not Antioch of Pisidia, but rather the Syrian Antioch. Antioch in Syria should be considered Roman Provincial, so I'd suspect it shouldn't appear in Roman Imperial Coinage (RIC) but Roman Provincial Coinage (RPC) instead... I'm actually not even sure why RIC 528 is in there listing Antioch of Pisidia.

Here are the 2 of mine:
    [​IMG]
    Augustus, 27 BC-14 AD
    Antioch, Syria, AE26

Obverse: IMP•AVGVST• – TR•POT, laureate bust of Augustus right.
    Reverse: Large SC within laurel-wreath of eight leaves fastened at top with pellet, between inner and outer borders.
    References: RPC 4247, McAlee 206b
    Size: 26mm, 14g

collagemaker_20190107_210320042.jpg
    Augustus, Ruled 27 BC-14 AD
    AE30, Syria, Antioch Mint

Obverse: IMP•AVGVST• – TR•POT, laureate bust of Augustus right.
    Reverse: Large SC within laurel-wreath of eight leaves fastened at top with pellet, between inner and outer borders.
    Notes: Reverse is slightly double-struck, which is typical of this early issue (per Butcher, Coinage in Roman Syria).
    References: RPC I 4247, McAlee 206b
    Size: 30mm, 18.0g

(your's is double struck in the reverse like mine is here ^^^ too)

Also, more specifically, the V you're referring to is actually a Roman U, as thier alphabet didn't include a U or J, but they used V and I instead of them, so you'll see AUGUSTUS as AVGVSTVS and TRAJAN as TRAIAN.

5. cmezner

thank you so very much for the attribution Antioch in Syria. I was completely wrong. I didn't even realize that the reverse is double struck.

I still don't get why there is a V or Roman U because AVGVST ends with a dot - it doesn't seem to be part of "AVGVST" unless they wanted to struck AVGVST•V and realized that the S wouldn't fit?:confused:

6. cmezner

LaCointessa and Justin Lee like this.
  7. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Oh I guess I didn't notice that previously at the bottom of his bust. In looking at Butcher's Coinage in Roman Syria, it appears you have coin type 54a.
    20190421_005934.jpg
    20190421_010055.jpg

Edit: Nice sleuthing!!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    LaCointessa and nicholasz219 like this.
  8. cmezner

Yesssss!!! you nailed it! Thank you so very much!! :):)

Justin Lee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted