Featured Antioch in Pisidia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nicholasz219, Dec 21, 2018.

1. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Hi everybody! I missed you all and am glad to be back.

@nicholasz219, I have a Septimius Severus which is one of my two most favorite coins. Here it is:
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS - AD 193-211 SYRIA - HELIOPOLIS.png
    Both of my favorite coins happen to be Syrian - but not from Antioch. They were both gifts from a person whose identity remains a delicious mystery!

My Septimius Severus which you see above is from Heliopolis and the Trajan (below) is from Beroea (now called Aleppo).
    TRAJAN.png

This is a great thread and I enjoyed seeing everyone's coins.
    Merry Christmas, everyone!

Marsyas Mike, TJC, randygeki and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

WELCOME BACK, @LACOINTESSA !

T
    hose are superb coins! I can't make up my mind which I like better—the patina is beautiful on both of them.

4. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Thank you, Deacon Ray, for the "welcome back"!! Thank you very much! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Hi, @LaCointessa ! I've wondered where you've been!

TIF, LaCointessa and Justin Lee like this.
  6. Monte Venier

Monte Venier New Member

nicholasz219 likes this.
  7. Monte Venier

Monte Venier New Member

Nick,

I have many contacts still living in Turkey today. I have a family who lives in Tarsus, the famous biblical city just 15 miles east of Adana where Saul (Paul) was born. The history in Asia Minor (Turkey) is insurmountable: Mt Ararat (Noah's Arc), the fall of Troy which occurred between Istanbul and Smyrna (Izmir), Saint Nicolas (The real Santa Claus) who lived near Antalya, King Midas from the Greek empire (From the fabled "King Midas" story), the Armenian empire, the Hittite empire (The first empire in modern day Turkey) then of course the Lydian, Rome, Greek and Byzantine empires (Of course Byzantine period was a spin off from the Roman empire after the battle of Manzikurt in 1471 I believe. Anyways, my main interest in coins are U.S. large cents which most of them are encapsulated and rest are in 2x2s. My best ones are the 1793 and 1794 Flowing Hair cents. Have all the large cents except for 5 of them ranging from 1793-1857. Silver halves are # 2. I'm missing about 8 of them from 1793-to present. There are a lot of variations in the earlier years of these coins. Your presentations may encourage me to start collecting ancient coins ! Anyways, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and I hope we can stay in contact !
    Respectfully, mv.

nicholasz219 likes this.
  8. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

@Monte Venier: Thank you for providing further insight into the area with your experience. It is fascinating. I actually am a big fan of US large cents as well. I think I have about 20 of them. All circulated and only going back to 1802. It is a collection I would like to work on more. I need to learn a lot more to do so honestly.

Ancient coins for me are a real passion now. I have a pretty large Russian imperial collection too but it has sat dormant for years because everything even minor copper is so expensive. Ancient coins still pack a lot of affordability into a very historically relevant coin. Also too, you can find absolute rarities and get them for a bargain for various reasons. One of my Probus coins I bought because I knew it was scarce and I needed it for my collection turned out to be the second known example. I would be lying if I didn’t say that that fact makes me pretty excited and proud.

I hope to see you more on here. Please direct message me anytime.

Nick

TJC likes this.
  9. VDB

VDB Active Member

That’s a great coin for $180!

10. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Julia Domna. Augusta, 193-217 AD. Antioch. Pisidia. (Æ 33. 24.26 gm). Obv: Draped bust, r. Rev: Julia Domna standing, facing r., clasping hands with Emperor standing, facing left. S - R across field. Unlisted in major references, nor on-line sources. Apparently silver plated in antiquity. Silver evident on her forehead, hair, and letters of her name. A unique special presentation issue? Dark black patina.
    JuliaDomnaAntiochSilverPlated.jpg

Marsyas Mike, TJC, randygeki and 5 others like this.
  11. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Gordian III. 238-244 AD. Antioch, Pisidia. Æ 31mm (22.07 gm, 6h). Obv: Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. Rev: She-wolf standing right, head lowered left, suckling the twins Romulus and Remus; fig tree to left. Krzyźanowska dies IX/37; SNG France 1225-7 (same dies).SNG von Aulock 4953. Near EF, attractive glossy black patina. Interesting portraiture. Like CNG Coin Shop #863262 (same obverse dies and possibly same reverse dies).This coin much better in both wear and patina. GordianIIIAntiochWolfAndTwins.jpg

Marsyas Mike, TJC, randygeki and 6 others like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Gordian inherited the type. I have not researched how many rulers issued it. This is my Severus Alexander AE33.
    pn1875bb2919.jpg

Marsyas Mike, TJC, randygeki and 6 others like this.
  13. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Good to know.
    Thanks Doug.

14. Monte Venier

Monte Venier New Member

15. Monte Venier

Monte Venier New Member

Thanks Nicholas,

My internet and e-mail skills are weak but I'm trying to get better. My email address is: venierm@outlook.com. Please feel free to drop me a line anytime. I was overseas too long and missed out on a lot of the internet age.

Respectfully,

Monte

nicholasz219 likes this.
  16. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

"I'm interested in learning more about the coins and the area. It seems that the information in general about Roman Provinces is not exactly put together in the same place. I may be missing some important resources. If that is the case, please point me in the right direction."

Do you know "Cities of the Eastern Roman Provinces" by A.H.M. Jones ?
    Its old, but has lots of interesting information

17. nicholasz219

@eparch

I have seen the book on Amazon but I have not bought it or read it yet. I just ordered some books that might help me out here. When I get them and have a chance to look at them I’ll make mention of it.

18. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I was doing some detailing for my IDs today and I think I found a double die match to a coin on ACSearch:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4855027
    [​IMG]

Marsyas Mike, TJC, randygeki and 5 others like this.
  19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coins all. When I saw "post your coins of Antioch..." I got excited and ready to post a bunch of horseman FTR's

LaCointessa and nicholasz219 like this.
  20. nicholasz219

randygeki likes this.
  21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

:D

antfh.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted