ANS membership

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, May 8, 2020.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I encourage serious collectors to join the ANS (American Numismatic Society) and support its good work with their dues. I have been asked, what are the benefits of membership? Until recently, I would say my dues have been largely in the category of a donation. I get their glossy magazine four times a years and my subscription includes the American Journal of Numismatics yearly issue. That is a very good academic journal with maybe a dozen articles per issue, but the chances of one of them being something you really want is not high. (But, I have the whole run back to 1948 and use them frequently.) Also, the journal can be often found on the secondary market for much less than the cost of the dues.

So, why join? Well, primarily you should join to support serious scholarship and on-line resources that the ANS promotes. Go to their site and you will find marvelous high-tech sites on Seleucid coins, Ptolemaic coins, Greek coin hoards, etc. (So far, the Greek sites are more developed than the others.) Obviously, that costs money to create and they get their money from donors and membership dues.

But now there is another good reason to join. They have begun to use Zoom to live stream talks and "Long Table" discussions, and they are open only to members. Last week Friday I attended a "Long Table" on slabs with interactive interviews of David Vagi, primary ancient-coin authenticator, and Mark Salzberg, head of NGC. The whole authentication and grading process was discussed.

Today (Friday, May 8, 2020, 1:00 pm Eastern time) I attended a "Long Table" discussion of on-line resources at the ANS. It is amazing what those sites (like the Greek Coin Hoards site) can do. You can find hoards that include such-and-such a type. You can see of map of where they were found. You can pick a hoard and see a map of the cities represented in the hoard. You can click on the city and see hoards that have coins of that city. You can pick a city and denomination and type and chart the average weights compared to some other group described another way. The site can do many things you would not think of without either someone telling you or a great deal of playing around on it.

I think formal talks are likely to be once a month. The two Long Tables have been described as something like meeting colleagues around a table and talking about recent projects. I don't know it they can keep it up every week, but they have been at 1:00 pm Eastern time Fridays the last two weeks.

So, now I have a better answer to "What are the benefits?" If you are a member, you can remotely attend ANS talks on Zoom (which is easy to use).

Their web site is here with a "membership" link

http://numismatics.org/

The cheapest membership level is $100 a year (with 40% off for students).

I loved the talks I have attended, but I belong because I want to support such a fine organization which generates so much information about ancient coins. The talks were a super bonus. It's a lot cheaper than traveling to New York City!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great stuff. I'm thinking of joining. I particularly like Zoom sessions and have been using them more and more (and some of the other competitive services.) So there may eventually be a few benefits out of the whole COVID-19 mess, because folks are having to think outside of the box.

4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

I am wondering how many others at ANS think like the old executive director though.

Dr. Ute Wartenberg has recently stepped down as the executive director of the American Numismatic Society; but not before submitting a letter in support of restricting coins from Turkey.

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DOS-2019-0043-0079

Here is a particularly ignorant line --

"Although it is hard to know what exactly is being dug up by looters, it is certain that coins play a significant role, which is clear from online auctions, eBay or Amazon where looted coins from Turkey are offered by the thousands on any given day"

So, according to her, there are thousands of looted coins for sale each day. I think that she has done a huge disservice to the ancient numismatic community.

For 4th century LRB collectors, imagine restrictions on coins from Constantinopolis, Cyzicus, Heraclea and Nicomedia.

It seems especially egregious that she says "The views expressed in this letter are my own and are not meant to be representative of the American Numismatic Society," but she still uses ANS letterhead.

5. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I have attended these past 2 "meetings" as well. They were pretty informative, in my opinion. The bad part is that once I go back to working in my real office I won't be able to do these.

6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I have been seriously considering joining lately, and this may push me to finally do it. However, is there anyway to view a recorded version of these sessions after the fact? Like @Chris B, I may not be able to attend in the future (and at the moment teach a class from 12.30-2.30 anyway...)

7. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Actually, she submitted this letter AFTER she stepped-down, as the title below her signature makes clear. I don't think an acting ANS Executive Director could get with such a letter, because the organization depends on the kindness of collectors. The fact that she submitted it on ANS letterhead was totally shocking to me, as it implied imprimatur of the organization. In the letter she states that she is not writing in her official capacity - THEN WHY USE THE LETTERHEAD?? It didn't make sense, and I frankly wonder if she was encouraged to use the letterhead or if there was some other motivation.

The fact that this was done with letterhead that I effectively pay for with my donations has made me reconsider my support of the organization. I will continue to pay basic annual dues so that I get the excellent publications and can watch Zoom lectures. However, I don't think I will be giving additional funds like I have done in years past. This left a very bad taste.

In the past the ANS was careful not to cross this line in either direction. They should have stayed neutral.

Broucheion, DonnaML, akeady and 4 others like this.
  8. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

I'm an ANS Life Member. I have really enjoyed using their resources and I had always thought they were a wonderful organization. I also think their new Zoom presentations are great.

I found Ute's letter, however, shocking and offensive. I never had any idea she held such opinions, which is frankly fine that she does as an individual, but to put them on the ANS letterhead was completely unacceptable in my opinion. I don't know why dealers still showed up their Gala in NY this year. Perhaps they will find attendance and financial support difference in 2021.

There is no place for politics with the ANS and it has tainted my opinion of the organization. I don't think I would stroke the check for a life membership today until their position supporting collectors and dealers was made as publicly as Ute's letter against them. So disappointing and sad.

Broucheion, DonnaML, akeady and 4 others like this.
  9. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Yes, indeed.

I believe the same way...it's a betrayal.

10. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Apparently she received a permit in 2019 from the Turks. Those don’t come easy.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Carausius likes this.
  11. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

The ANS YouTube channel is at https://www.youtube.com/user/ANSCoins/videos . The monthly Saturday "Money Talks" Zoom presentations are there. (You may be able to see me briefly ask a question in "Coins and Computation".)

I haven't been able to attend a Long Table weekly Friday Zoom yet. I believe those are informal and don't know if they will make it online or not.

Broucheion and FitzNigel like this.
  12. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Yesterday they explicitly said Long Tables were not being recorded. I suppose that could change.

Broucheion likes this.
  13. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

They might fear recording would impede the open discussion and exchange.

dougsmit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted