Another white whale landed

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

This one is very special. With all of the denarii of Domitian that I have acquired one might think that I should have a few of the impressive Cistophori struck for Domitian. Until the last day I had none. I do have a Cistophorus for Titus but until now one for Domitian had eluded me. The reason I have avoided buying one until now is because I was waiting for the right one. Well this one fits the bill perfectly. I have seen many of these coins cross the block. Some have had the standards reverse and some with the reverse featuring the temple to Capitoline Jupiter. I really like the temple reverses for Domitian. On the denarii the temple reverse are quite rare and are also very expensive. A temple reverse denarius for Domitian in okay condition would have cost over 1000 USD before the pandemic. Currently these denarii go for about double what they did before the pandemic. These denarii are sought after for many reasons including the fact that they do not show a Minvera on the reverse.

While I have seen a number of Domitian Cistophori I was waiting for a rare one. On the reverse of this coin is a temple to Roma. This is much rarer than the type with the temple of Jupiter. I actually think that this coin went very cheaply. I have found that with the Heritage auctions if the coin does not have the magic letters au or ms, the coins quite often go under the radar. I believe that this one did so. In fact I won this coin for the price of 3 ordinary common denarii of Domitian in the same grade range. I find this interesting of course because a Cistophorus was worth 3 denarii when struck. This was a bargain I could not refuse.

I am thrilled to have won my first Domitian Cistophorus. I absolutely love the coin itself. The portrait is very good and the reverse is excellent IMHO. I never thought I would have the opportunity to own one of these and I am very glad I spotted this one. It is listed in RIC as R2 (very few examples known). I find this to be quite accurate. They do not show up in trade very often at all.

Please post your coins with temple reverses.

Domitian AR Cistophorus 95 CE
    (26mm 6h)
    Obv: laureate head of Domitian right; IMP CAES DOMITIANVS
    Rev: Distyle temple inscribed ROM ET AVG containing figure of Augustus, standing facing, spear in right hand, being crowned with right hand by female figure of Roma (on right), cornucopia in left hand
    RIC 854
    2020 September 9-10 Wednesday & Thursday World & Ancient Coins Weekly Online Auction #232037 Lot #62175

D854 Heritage.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

What an amazing reverse. i really like to imagine what these old temples used to look like in their heyday. If this reverse is any indication. it held some truly colossal cult statues. Neat.

finny and Orfew like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Many congrats, Andrew. Gorgeous Denarius! Weight and diameter?

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks Brian. Much appreciated. The diameter is 26mm but the weight is unknown. Probably around 10.5g to 10.75g.

finny and Alegandron like this.
  6. Alegandron

I always liked the Cysto, interesting as a TriDrachm.

finny likes this.
  7. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Speaking of your metaphor --sorry; wish I could stop myself in time-- did you read the whole book? Knew maybe three people who claimed to have, present company conspicuous by its absence.
    ...Right, and the coin is cool, too.
    (Seriously, the original Hollywood adaptation, with Orson Welles as the preacher, incorporates Scads of dialogue right from the book.)

8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great acquisition.
    Temple reverses, huh ?

[​IMG]
    Augustus, Denarius - Colonia Patricia mint ? ca. 19-18 BC
    CAESARI AVGVSTO, laureate head right
    SP - QR on either side of a domed terastyle temple, in which is a chariot with aquila.
    3,66 gr
    Ref : RSC # 279, RIC # 119

[​IMG]
    Volusian, Antoninianus - Rome mint AD 252
    IMP CAE C VIB VOLVSIANO AVG, radiate and draped bust of Volusian right
    IVNONI MARTIALI, Juno seated within a distyle shrine, * in right field
    3,60 gr
    Ref : RCV # 9750, Cohen #45

[​IMG]
    Maxentius, Follis - Aquilea mint, 1st officina, AD 309-310
    IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG, Laureate head of Maxentius right
    CONSERV VRBS SVAE, Tetrastyle temple, Roma seated left, a foot on captive, giving a globe to Maxentius standing right. She wolf suckling Romulus and Remus in pediment. AQP at exergue
    6.55 gr
    Ref : RCV # 14992 (100), Cohen #42

[​IMG]
    Romulus, Posthumous follis under the reign of his father Maxentius - Ostia mint, 1st officina, AD 309-310
    DIVO ROMVLO N V BIS CONS, Bare head of Romulus right
    AETERNAE MEMORIAE, Temple with domed roof surmounted by eagle, M OST P at exergue
    7.35 gr
    RCV # 15050 (550), Cohen #6, RIC VI # 34

Q

eparch, dlhill132, octavius and 15 others like this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Wow, @Orfew ! That's quite a cistophorus! No wonder you're proud to have acquired it for your collection.
    After his wife Faustina's death in AD 149, Antoninus Pius decided to build a temple to the deified empress. The temple was dedicated in AD 143. These two coins were issued to commemorate the dedication.

The first bears the inscription, DEDICATIO AEDIS ("the dedication of the temple"). It comes in two bust types, one bare-headed and another with a veiled bust, known from only a handful of examples: the Paris specimen cited by Cohen and Strack, and an example in a private collection cited by Temeryazev & Makarenko. An example in the British Museum (1937,0708.26) with a veiled bust wearing a stephane is considered to be an ancient forgery made of base metal. My example is, of course, the bare-headed version:

[​IMG]
    Faustina I, AD 138-141.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.44 g, 18.7 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, AD 143.
    Obv: DIVA AVG FAVSTINA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: DEDICATIO AEDIS, hexastyle temple on stepped podium, above, a quadriga, Victories as acroteria.
    Refs: RIC 388; BMCRE 306; Cohen 191; Strack 426; RCV 4596; UCR 434; CRE 127.

The second type, also issued in AD 143 for the dedication of the temple, bears the reverse inscription PIETAS AVG (BMCRE 319-321) or PIETAS AVGVSTI (BMCRE 322-323). The former is also known with a veiled bust from the collection in Vienna and cited by Strack (432). I only have the PIETAS AVG version with the bare-headed bust type:

[​IMG]
    Faustina I, AD 138-141.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.55 g, 17.4 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, AD 143.
    Obv: DIVA AVG FAVSTINA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: PIETAS AVG, hexastyle temple on stepped podium, above, a quadriga, Victories as acroteria.
    Refs: RIC 396; BMCRE 319-21; Cohen 253; Strack 432; RCV 4599; UCR 435; CRE 129.

The shell of this building still survives in the Roman Forum, enclosing the church of San Lorenzo in Miranda. You may see photos and read about it here. Here is what remains of this temple:

[​IMG]

10. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Nice catch @Orfew ! Two temples to share:

0.5.png

20.4.png

11. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Congrats, Orfew - that is a terrific-looking coin. I had no idea Domitian issued cistophorii.

Not Domitian, but a temple did come my way recently in a lot I got on eBay, on a little AE from Tarsus, which I now have an excuse to post:

Tarsus - Pseudo-Auto temple lot Aug 2020 (0).jpg

Pseudo-Autonomous Æ 19
    Cilicia, Tarsus
    n.d. (2nd Century A.D.)

ΤΑΡСΟV Μ[ΗΤΡΟΠΟΛЄ]OC Tyche turreted, veiled & draped bust right / Decastyle temple, with eagle in pediment and ΚΟΙΝΟC ΚΙΛΙΚΙ on architrave, A C across field.
    (4.67 grams / 19 x 17 mm)
    RPC III 3305; Ziegler 670-1; SNG BN 1435-6; SNG Levante 1007 var. (obv. legend).

octavius, Ryro, +VGO.DVCKS and 9 others like this.
  12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

M. VOLTEIUS M.F.a1.jpg
    M. VOLTEIUS M.F. ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS VOLTEIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Jupiter right
    REVERSE: Temple of Jupiter Capitolinus with closed doors; thunderbolt on pediment; below, M. VOLTEI. M. F.
    Rome 78BC
    3.60g, 18mm
    Crawford 385/1; Sydenham 774; Volteia 1
    Volusian 2.jpg
    VOLUSIAN
    AE30
    OBVERSE: AVTOK K G AFIN GAL OVEND OVOLOCCIANOC CEB, radiate and draped bust right
    REVERSE: ANTIOXEWN MHTRO KOLWN D-e, SC below, Tyche seated facing within tetrastyle temple, the river-god Orontes swimming beneath her, ram leaping right above
    Struck at Syria-Antioch, 251-253 AD
    17.1g, 30mm
    SNGCop 295
    Salonina 5.jpg
    SALONINA
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: SALONINA AVG, diademed and draped bust right, resting on crescent
    REVERSE: DEAE SEGETIAE, statue of Segetiae or Ceres, nimbate, standing facing in four-columned temple, both hands raised
    Struck at Lugdunum, 258 AD
    3.1g, 22mm
    RIC 5

13. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Really nice acquisition - very nice!

Here is the only coin I own with a temple reverse.

upload_2020-9-11_10-36-44.png
    Obv: IMP PROBVS P F AVG; Radiate bust left wearing imperial mantle and holding eagle-tipped scepter. Rev: ROMAE AETER; Roma seated left within hexastyle temple; R-thunderbolt-Delta in exergue. 20mm, 3.8gms,

14. +VGO.DVCKS

Um, these are medieval. Please don't throw anything too ripe. And the pictures...just never mind.
    Carolingian empire, Louis I (814-840), 'temple' denier; unknown mint (although stuff has been done recently to identify them). COINS, FRANCE, CAROLINGIAN, LOUIS I, 2ND EXAMPLE.JPG
    Rev. Temple, XPISTIANA RELIGIO (Incorporating the Greek beginning of 'XPICTOC').
    Obv. +HLVDOVICVS IMP.
    ...As copied by Richard I, Count of Rouen /Normandy (942-996): denier of Rouen. COINS, FRANCE, RICHARD I, REV.JPG COINS, FRANCE, RICHARD I OBV 1.JPG
    Rev. Temple, "X" in center. +ROTOMAGVS (Rouen).
    Obv. +RICARDVSI.
    ...Right, Louis's prototype had to be Roman. In the case of the pennies of AElfred, at least (and from memory), the obvious parallels run to issues as late as the 4th century. ...What was likely thickest on the ground; go figure. However hypothetically, it would be fun to hear if anyone had any guesses along those lines.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  15. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I'm so glad you were able to land one of these Andrew! It's certainly one of my favourite types struck for Domitian on the cistophori.

Here's my example of the type and the little blurb I wrote for it my Forvm Gallery (note my example has a 'control mark' in the exergue).

D855c (2).jpg Domitian
    AR Cistophorus, 10.28g
    Rome mint (for Asia), 95 AD
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: Temple with two columns, inscribed ROM ET AVG in entablature, enclosing Augustus. stg. front to l., with spear, crowned by Roma to r., with cornucopiae; G in exergue
    RIC 855 (C). BMC p. 352, *. RSC 407. RPC 875 (2 spec.). BNC -.
    Acquired from Emerald Imports, eBay, May 2018. Formerly in NGC holder 4278229-001, grade 'Ch VF', strike 5/5, surface 4/5, 'Fine style'.

A small issue of cistophori were struck by Domitian in 95. The style and six o'clock die axis point to Rome as the probable mint. Interestingly, K. Butcher and M. Ponting's recent metal analysis of the series reveals it was struck from a different stock of metal than contemporaneous denarii, possibly from recycled republican and early imperial pieces. This rare reverse features the temple of Roma and Augustus at Pergamum copied from the cistophori of Claudius. The temple was erected in 29 BC and was an important centre of the imperial cult in the region. No archaeological remains have been found of the structure, only the coins hint at how it may have appeared. RPC speculates the 'G' in exergue may be the mark of an officina, although, why the Rome mint would use a mint mark on the cistophori and not on any other issues is quite puzzling.

16. finny

finny Well-Known Member

Here is my only temple coin so far.

Caracalla and Julia Donna
    212-217 AD
    Marcianopolis, Moesia Inferior
    Bronze Pentassarion
    Tetrastyle temple, statue of Hygieia feeding snake

IMG_20200911_131736.jpg IMG_20200911_131803.jpg

17. Alegandron

TEMPLES

These are probly my only 2 Temples... just much of a buildings kinda guy...

upload_2020-9-11_15-33-50.png
    Roman Republic Volteius 78 BCE AR Den Jupiter Temple S 312 Cr 385-1

upload_2020-9-11_15-34-43.png
    RI Philip II 244-249 Nisibis Mesopotamia-farthest EAST Temple Tyche river god Mygdonius - sinister left

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  18. +VGO.DVCKS

All of these Roman ones are great. The diversity of the motifs, as begun in the 1st century and perpetuated by the provincial issues into the 3rd, is remarkable. Getting it why you guys are so into this stuff!

Roman Collector and finny like this.
  19. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Beautiful cistophorus! I hope someday to get a matching set of Domitian and Domitia cistophorii... someday.

My Claudius is the same type, same temple
    Claudius Cistophoric tetradrachm ROM ET AVG COM ASI.jpg

Roman Collector, finny, Ryro and 5 others like this.
  20. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Spectacular new Domitian Temple aaand off the rails thread. Eye candy all the way through:artist::bucktooth:
    Though far from my area of collecting, I can easily see myself galloping gleefully down that slippery slope.
    Shoo I'll do thr best I can:smuggrin:
    My latest Dom bomb has no temple (unless I can get you to believe that table isa temple with a pretty roof. In which case, have I got land to sell you... but when the heck else am I gonna post it??
    share2193189950894139617.png
    Domitian, as Caesar, 80 ADSilver Denarius, Rome Mint, 19mm, 3.1 gramsObverse: CAESAR DIVI F DOMITIANVS COS VII, Laureate head of Domitian right.Reverse: PRINCEPS IVVENTVTIS, Helmet on throne.RIC51. Ex: Timeline
    (any corrections are appreciated)

Now it, also, might not be what you asked for, buuuut Carus did have the largest "temples" out of all the Roman Caesars... since Caesar:woot:

20200411_195225_IMG_5500.PNG
    CARUS
    282-283 CE Antoninianus. Rome.
    Obv: IMP C M AVR CARVS P F AVG.
    Radiate and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: VIRTVS AVGG / ΓKA.
    Mars standing left with shield and spear.
    RIC 45.

21. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

It's beautiful . I am planning to get one of these cistophorus coins. I specially love cistophorus of Claudius.

Orfew likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted