Another whale (Constans horseman)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Oct 4, 2018.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Though not as rare as my unpublished Constans FH from Rome, I was very happy to score this one of Constans, from Arles. I didn't expect to find one (let alone one I could afford) though listed only as rare in RIC.

IMG_4478.jpg

Constans
    4,14 g, 22 mm
    D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, pearl diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right/
    FEL TEMP RE-PARATIO, soldier spearing fallen horseman wearing Phrygian helmet, forwards on hands and knees. SARL star ? in ex
    Arles 103
    Rare

I can't make out most of the ex, but there is no doubt that it is Arles 103.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Very nice score with a strong strike! That particular type was the one that got me hooked on FH.

Roman Imperial: Constans (337-350 CE) AE2 Follis, Arles (RIC VIII, Arles-103var)
    Obv.: DN CONSTA-NS PF AVG; pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: FEL TEMP-REPARATIO; soldier spearing fallen horseman who is kneeling left on ground, wearing Phrygian helmet; SARL ✶ in exergue

[​IMG]

Roman Imperial: Constantius II (348- 350 CE) AE2 Follis, Arles (RIC VIII, Arles-102var) Obv.: DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG; pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: FEL TEMP RE-PARATIO; soldier spearing fallen horseman who is kneeling left on ground, wearing Phrygian helmet ; SARL ✶ in exergue

[​IMG]

4. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Glad to see you got another 'whale' Randy!

randygeki likes this.
  5. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Great find......

randygeki likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Congrats, Randy.

Constans' bug-eyed slack-jawed portrait is funny. He looks utterly appalled about the carnage shown on the reverse :D.

randygeki likes this.
  7. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I take it all back, these FH types are the real roaches of the ancient world. Plentiful and in all sort of little varieties to spend three lifetimes collecting it all.

randygeki and GerardV like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Congrats on the latest addition.

randygeki likes this.
  9. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Nope. You're wrong. These are:

Roach.jpg

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

If I were betting on the high count, I'd go with the 2200+ estimated FH coins. I am of the opinion that 2200 is a low guess because it came from people who were only starting to appreciate the hair and attire of the barbarians and said nothing about the shields, boots, horse rears/tails and other things Randy will discover before he gets halfway to the number. I may underestimate the two soldiers since I really have not studied them at all.

11. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

It wasnt meant in the sheer numbers of types/variations, but of how they are all around just like roaches. And disliked as well (by some anyway)!

12. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

Nice score - these are addictive...no doubt about it.

randygeki likes this.
  13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks all

Both sweet coins!

Draft saved Draft deleted