Another Veiled Bust Faustina I -- I just can't get enough!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's right! I just can't get enough!

This middle bronze of Faustina I was likely issued in AD 150/51 as part of a massive issue to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Faustina's death and consecration.* It was issued with two bust types, a more common bare-headed and draped bust, right and a scarcer veiled and draped bust, right. This particular reverse design only appears in the sestertius, dupondius, and as denominations.

Post anything you feel is relevant!

Faustina Sr CONSECRATIO Vesta dupondius veiled bust.jpg
    Faustina I, AD 138--140/41.
    Roman orichalcum dupondius, 11.73 g, 25 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 150/51.
    Obv: DIVA FAV-STINA, veiled and draped bust, right.
    Rev: CONSECRATIO S C, Vesta, veiled, draped, standing left, sacrificing out of patera in right hand over altar left and holding long lighted torch, vertical, in left.
    Refs: RIC 1187 B; BMCRE 1594; Cohen 164; RCV 4652 var.

~~~

*Dinsdale, Paul H. Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius Caesar AD 138-161: Antonine Coinage. Leeds, Paul H Dinsdale, 2018, p. 216.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great coin @Roman Collector . The veiled bust portrait is very cool but I unfortunately don’t have one. Instead here is my favorite Faustina I.
    8563EF0E-0E80-433B-8888-A7BD1E9D12C9.jpeg

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's lovely! I still don't have a DEDICATIO AEDIS in my collection, which was issued AD 143-144 to commemorate the dedication of the temple to Diva Faustina.

thejewk and Curtisimo like this.
  5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

6. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice veiled bust of Faustina I, @Roman Collector.

Here are 2 of mine in her "regular" hair style.
    FaustinaI AE.jpg
    IMG_2902.jpg

7. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Just love when one can see the details of her diademed head ornament, like the awesome ones shared by Curtisimo and happy_collector.

Have this posthumous issue, struck under the authority of Antoninus Pius:

Denarius, Rome, after 141 AD
    16 x 17 mm, 3.71 g
    RIC III Antoninus Pius 381 B a; Cohen (RSC) 159;

Ob.: DIVA AVG FAVSTINA, Bust of Diva Faustina, diademed, draped, to right; hair elaborately waved in several loops around head and drawn up and coiled on top
    Rev.: CONCORDIAE, Antoninus, on the left, standing to right, holding roll and clasping right hands with Faustina on the right, standing left and holding scepter

upload_2019-11-5_2-8-4.png upload_2019-11-5_2-8-53.png

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice coin, @Roman Collector ! And I ALMOST forgot that song, until you posted it! LOL

Well, I only have ONE Faustina I, so you "just can't get enough" of this one as I will post it AGAIN!!! :D

upload_2019-11-5_8-9-39.png
    RI Faustina Sr 138-140 CE after 146 CE DIVA AR Denarius m Antoninus Pius 17.4mm 3.2g Ceres torch fold RIC 362 RSC 104

9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..that's a nice'un RC....heck, no wonder we ain't got any(to no a'veil':p)...YOU'RE buyin'em all up :D Faustina l dupondius 002.JPG Faustina l dupondius 004.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted