Another tiberius denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

So, in the course of assembling my 12 Caesars set I decided I did not want a Tiberius tribute penny. I instead bought a quadriga reverse.
    tiberius combined.jpg

Well, just a few minutes ago another one popped up on Vcoins for a price I could not resist. So, yes I bought another. In some ways the second one is worse in some ways better. I was still lucky to stumble across it.

Please post your coins of Tiberius

Tiberius. AD 14-37. AR Denarius. Lugdunum (Lyon) mint. Struck AD 15-16 3.42 g.

Obv: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS, Laureate head right

Rev: TR POT XVII, Tiberius, holding branch and scepter, driving triumphal quadriga right, IMP VII in exergue.

RIC I 4 (R2); Lyon 122; RSC 48
    tiberius ric 4.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I only have the Imperial Tribute penny.
    Tiberius 6.jpg

And some provincinials
    Tiberius 5.jpg Tiberius 1.jpg

4. Orfew

Nice coins Bing.

ancientcoinguru likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Saw it listed, knew you'd buy it. I almost did but bought PCGS US $2 1/2 indian gold instead.

That tiberius was a good price.

[​IMG]
    Tiberius (14 - 34 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    EGYPT, Alexandria
    O: [TI]BERIOS KAISAR SEBASTOS, laureate head of Tiberius right; LID (date) in right field.
    R: QEOS SEBASTOS, radiate head of Augustus left.
    EGYPT, Alexandria Mint, year 14=27/28 A.D.
    13.43g
    23mm
    RPC I 5090; Milne 54; Emmett 61

dlhill132, Andres2, zumbly and 12 others like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have an As!
    I have to check for my Denarius...

upload_2016-4-17_13-36-47.png
    Tiberius, AD 14-37
    Ae as, 11g, 28mm, 6h; Rome mint: c. 22/23 AD - 26.
    Obv.: DIVUS AVGVSTVS PATER; Radiate head of Augustus left.
    Rev.: Altar enclosed with double panelled door, uncertain ornaments above; S - C // PROVIDENT
    Reference: RIC I Tiberius 81 (p. 99).
    Captured from @John Anthony

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  7. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Nice coin and great idea to find a more interesting Tiberius AR.

My Tiberius AV and AR are both of the "tribute penny" style, and while they're great coins, they're also boring...

8. Orfew

Thanks IoM, but I would never say any of your coins are boring. I love the 12 Caesar sets you have shown here.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. Orfew

I love that Tet. Great portraits Mat.

10. Orfew

A very expressive portrait. Nice coin.

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Alegandron

Thank you. I really like your Tiberius Quadriga style. Reminds me (and I am sure that is why they had minted them), of the older Republican Bigas and Quadrigas (and of course the 2 styles of Trigas).

Orfew likes this.
  12. Orfew

Thanks Alegandron,

It is also reminiscent of an Augustus denarius with quadriga reverse.

Alegandron likes this.
  13. Alegandron

My mistake! Had another Tiberius As, I was thinking of my Augustus Denarius
    upload_2016-4-17_15-49-46.png
    upload_2016-4-17_15-50-15.png
    Roman Empire
    Tiberius
    14-37 CE
    Rome mint 35-36 CE
    27mm, 9.9g
    Obv: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVST IMP VIII, Laureate Head l.
    Rev: PONTIF MAX TR POT XXXVII S C, rudder vertical in front of a large banded globe, small globe below r.
    Ref: RIC I 58; BMCRE I 117
    Captured from @Mat

dlhill132, Andres2, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  14. Alegandron

WOW, glad you reminded me! I have a BUNCH that I need to catalog and picture. This was one that I had in the book, but cannot find any pics or email files on!

Orfew likes this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Since the theme of this thread seems to be the 'not-so-boring', I'll show what I consider my least boring Tiberius types but, honestly, he has never been my idea of a thrilling ruler.

Before the death of Augustus (13-14 AD) we have this two headed fourree denarius with Tiberius Caesar. I really should swap sides with these making Augustus the obverse. These Lugdunum denarii are much more scarce than Tribute Pennies and high grade, well centered, well struck ones seem harder to find making the average one offered lower in price than most two headed coins. This one came to me in 1991 making it the most recent acquisition of the three coins shown here; the other two came in 1988. Despite the fact of it being fourree and the damage, it remains my best portrait coin of Tiberius.
    re0900bb0534.jpg

Perhaps slightly earlier (c.12 AD) is this Lugdunum as in the name of Tiberius. The exact coin is available with legends of Augustus and, in my opinion, the portrait here has a lot of resemblance to Augustus.
    re0950bb0175.jpg

Last is my favorite coin of Tiberius - a denarius from India. It has been shown on CT more than once before and has its own page on my site. Coins of this genre are something you either love or would never touch. I love it.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/f44.html
    CNG has sold a couple of them in the time covered by their online records. Neither has brought as much as I might have expected. I remain of the opinion that all 20 or so I have seen come from one find 30+ years ago and the ones we see are resales from those of us who bought them then.
    re0940bb0088.jpg

dlhill132, Sallent, Andres2 and 12 others like this.
  16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

And I am indifferent with that coin. It's neat and amusing looking for what it is, but if I had it in my album, I would just gloss over it.

17. Orfew

Doug, I like your fourree best.

18. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

As for the Tiberius imitation I bowed out of an auction crossing the $400 mark.
    Fail!

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I missed seeing that auction. Because I have had the thing for so long, I like to see them when they come up. CNG offended me making one part of a two coin lot in Triton X (with a Septimius aureus yet) and making it impossible to tell how much the Tiberius went for. Mine will go with my estate but I like to follow things I have had for that long when they come up.

Mikey Zee and Ancientnoob like this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice, Orfew ... that's a sweet OP-Tiberius (congrats)

Wow, I like your idea of straying slightly from the straight-path (it looks good on ya)

Ummm, if you really want to get crazy, then perhaps you could add one of these Tiberius examples as well, eh?

SPAIN, Emerita. Tiberius, Æ Dupondius
    14-37 AD
    Diameter: 35 mm
    Weight: 23.85 grams
    Obverse: Laureate head left
    Reverse: City-view seen from aerial perspective: city wall with five T-shaped crenellations fronted by main gate consisting of two arched bays flanked by two multi-story crenellated towers, each with arched window; gate inscribed AVGVSTA/EMERITA and decorated with four T-shaped crenellations
    Reference: ACIP 3407a; RPC I 41
    Other: 9h … Good Fine, black patina
    Ex Archer M. Huntington Collection (HSA 1001.1.21689)

Tiberius Emerita.jpg

TIBERIUS AE As
    Tiberius – Caesar 8-14 AD
    Tiberius – Augustus 14-37 AD
    Clunia, Spain
    Diameter: 28 MM
    Weight: 13.9 GRAMS
    Obverse: TI CAESAR AVG F AVGVSTVS IMP, laureate head right, countermark of bull rushing right on Tiberius' neck
    Reverse: L IVL RVF T CALD CON T POMP LON P IVL NEP IIII VIR, Bull facing left, CLVNIA above, countermark of eagle's head on bull
    Tiberius Counterstamp.jpg

21. Orfew

Thanks Steve, I like the first one. the reverse is interesting.

stevex6 and Ancientnoob like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted