Another that got away.....

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikey Zee, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Of all the coins I have lost at auction since I returned to collecting back in January, 2015 this has to be the most disappointing of all. It was offered by ROMA and was estimated at 300 pounds and sold for 550 pounds. This coin not only spoke to me, it was SCREAMING at me:(

I have copied the sellers info and photo.....
    db_file_img_151115_544x262.jpg
    Severus Alexander BI Tetradrachm of Alexandria, Egypt. Dated RY 12 (AD 232/3). A KAI MAP AVP CEV AΛEΞANΔPOC E, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right / Zeus seated left, holding patera and sceptre; at his feet to left, eagle standing left, head right; L IB (date) to upper left, palm frond to right. Emmett 3146. 11.99g, 24mm, 12h. Good Extremely Fine. Lustrous. Arguably one of the finest known.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I understand your loss Mikey! Nice coin, great reverse!

This one was a frustration for me. I had all intents and purposes to set my high bid well above the hammer price. I had the price in the bid box, and was ready to pull the trigger. Received an expected business phone call that lasted for 2 hours... and I STILL knew to pull the trigger. The call went so fast, and I was jumping from screen to screen on my PC. Forgot to pull the trigger... AAargh... Oh, well: NEXT!

I hope the winner enjoys this wonderfully coveted coin!

upload_2016-9-29_10-3-56.png

dlhill132, Eng, Mikey Zee and 6 others like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm watching Roma right now and have one bid in. I should know shortly whether I won but I'm not holding my breath.

I hate prebidding but with the high BP plus extra fee for live bidding, it was incentive enough to bid ahead of time.

There are many unsold lots, some selling for under estimate, and a few selling for considerably higher than expected.

So far, the Award for Most Inexplicable Hammer Price goes to this Tyrian shekel:

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=1652&lot=366
    [​IMG]
    Phoenicia, Tyre AR Shekel. Dated CY 135 = AD 9/10. Laureate bust of Melkart right / Eagle standing left [on prow], palm frond behind; to left, PΛE (date) above club; to right, KP above monogram; Phoenician letter between legs. BMC -; RPC I 4654. 14.24g, 25mm, 1h.

Estimate: 250 GBP

Hammer: 5000 GBP.

Five thousand GBP. Seriously?!! Yes, the estimate was low-- these abundant shekels are wildly popular with bible enthusiasts-- but five thousand GBP?!

Maybe there's something extraordinary about this particular coin. I certainly don't claim to know the series. It seems like an absurd price though.

dlhill132, chrsmat71, Bing and 5 others like this.
  5. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Unfortunate i can not watch as guest indont know why

6. Okidoki

@TIF what did lot 436 and 439 do?

7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Wow. That's a terrific coin. I feel your pain.

I too had to let something go in this auction once it went past what I was willing to bid. Lot 709.

D188.jpg

This denarius issue of 84, IMHO, produced the finest portraits in silver of Domitian's reign. Alas, I only have one denarius from it.

[Edit] Sold for £3,029!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2016
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Sorry you missed that one, Mikey. It's definitely a great coin :(

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Pity that one got away, Mikey. Outstanding coin, but hey, the cash that stays in the wallet today is going to be good for your next upcoming targets. The next auction is always just around the corner!

I've lost out on three in Roma so far today.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

436 Hadrian drachm, Emmett 1069.14, "extremely rare" per listing, rated common by Emmett. Other years in the series are rare, and perhaps it is rare in this condition. Hammer 850 GBP. I really liked this and several other Roman Egyptians in today's auction but the bidding levels were higher than I wanted to go prior to the live auction.
    [​IMG]

439 Hadrian drachm, unlisted reverse type. I looked long and hard at this coin but ultimately was uncomfortable with the reverse and so didn't bid (plus, it went much higher than I would have bid). Hammer 800 GBP.

[​IMG]

11. Okidoki

Thx TiF
    Then i won them both :D

12. Okidoki

Last one is extreme rare this coin i could not find.

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Really? Wow. The Zeus-on-eagle is very nice :)

Have you talked to any Roman Egyptian experts about the second coin? I'd be tempted to ask Keith Emmett what he thinks of it.

Okidoki and zumbly like this.
  14. Okidoki

Yes i will and or Andrew Burnett

TIF likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Mikey, that's a nice looking coin. Sorry you didn't get it but please explain to me why Zeus is teaching an Eagle to play Frisbee. :)

Volodya, Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  16. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

LOL.....I imagine even a deity gets bored....and I often play frisbee/fetch with my 'pets';)

I just noticed some of my bids are still active 'live' but I can't seem to access it even with a new registration...

Oh well, I'll just have to try again elsewhere.

Like TIF, some of these estimates and bids totally confound me:confused:

17. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I was hoping to bid on that one as well but it went a bit above my budget. Luckily I was able to win two others. I was actually in a meeting at the time(that of course was running over by over half an hour) with my laptop connected to the projector screen so I had to sneak out my phone and place my bids.

18. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

MZ, I can see why you wanted that coin.
    My near miss -
    shell art ast.jpg shell art ast 2.jpg
    Aes Premonetale.AE cockle-shell, 5th-4th centuries BC.AE.g. 10.56mm. 24.56 Earthy green patina. Cf. G. Fallani, Numismatics witness to history, IANP Publication 8, 1986. This interesting example has the weight of a cast Semuncia of Roma/Roma series.
    I bid just over 2X estimate and just missed by one bid. No telling what the buyer would have paid tho.

Johndakerftw, Alegandron, TIF and 2 others like this.
  19. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

RBW had at least 10 of this "very rare" coin. This isn't the first one offered, but I doubt it'll be the last one either. Be patient; I'm pretty sure you'll get another chance!

Alegandron and red_spork like this.
  20. Alegandron

Thank you. I noticed the same on ACSearch. Agreed, I do not see it as Very Rare, or even Rare. I am not worried, I just liked the variety.

21. Alegandron

They are cool Gene, I have a couple...
    upload_2016-9-29_11-52-39.png

Draft saved Draft deleted