(Another) Star Note Question

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Skippy Topaz, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Been organizing my Star Notes lately (I just save them whenever I find them) and now just have too many of them...

So my question is... Which would be the better notes to hang on to, the Low Print-Run Star Notes (from 128k up to 640k Runs) regardless of condition or the High Print-Run notes (1-3 million etc) that are in perfect condition?

My instinct would be to hang on to the lower print runs (even if they're kinda worn) and just spend the higher run ones (though I might hang on to an older note from the 80's etc even if it's a high print-run) but not sure which would be more prudent

Anyway...just trying to reduce the collection and can't decide :-/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I keep all, because today they are of a high run, but how many will survive? I have been collecting since about 1993. That's when I noticed the "Web Press Notes". Then later I found a 1928 Gold Cert $100.00 from my local bank. Later found many new star notes over time. So I now have many "Stars" From Silver cert, Federal Cert, National Bank Notes, and a North African war note. On the Web Notes I could not find the only Star note and did not buy it either.

4. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Well, I don't want to keep them all because I'm not sure it makes sense to have $100 Star Notes sitting in a drawer if they'll never really be worth more than face value so I'm trying to decide if I should keep the higher denomination notes in great condition or the lower print run notes even in low grade

5. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Wow.. that was liberating (if not exhausting) .. spent the last few days going through all the Star Notes and circulated Oldies I've been squirreling away for years that I find in circulation and decided just to keep the Low-Run Star Notes and only a few of the Oldies... and maybe one or three of the ones in really nice condition

I would just save any small head note I found, some from the 70's up through the 90's even if not in great shape (have such a hard time spending them) I doubt they'd ever be worth more than face value (and really don't have any interest in selling them off one by one to make a few bucks) and with all the Star Notes I just kept putting the the drawer have freed up a pile of over a thousand dollars. Either gonna just deposit them in the bank or check and see if any dealers might be interested in buying them at least at face value or maybe a few dollars more..

Either way, gonna put them all to good use and hopefully will have something to post in the New Acquisitions thread soon :)
    notes.jpg

BoonTheGoon likes this.
  6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

i would hang on to the mint condition ones if given a choice
    As even some what rare notes in poor condition, would not
    Bring a premium as gem.

7. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

A lot of the Mint Condition notes I have are the current ones from the 2000's, I can't imagine they'd ever be worth much.. probably be better off using them to invest in the stock market.. more likely to get a much higher return..

8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

depending on how bad the condition is of the rarer notes would be
    The key factor.

9. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Hmmm.. maybe I'll look through them again... Just saw this note on ebay for $60.. Is there something about notes printed in Atlanta that bring a higher premium?

It doesn't seem to be from particularly low run (960k) so can't figure out why it would priced so high... I actually have two of these notes in my pile.. maybe I should keep them..

Atlanta5.jpg

10. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Was $60 the asking price or “sold” price ?

Either way, this $5 Atlanta star is a keeper in my world.

11. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

So, what's the deal with the Atlanta facility?? Are they the lazy location, always knocking off early creating these short Print Runs?? Are all the short runs from Atlanta? What make Atlanta notes so desirable?

12. SteveInTampa

Notes are printed in either Washington DC or Fort Worth Texas. This note was printed in DC. Short run star notes can come from any and all Federal Reserve Districts depending on the series and denomination.

13. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Thanks, but why then is the $5 Atlanta star a keeper in your world? Are Atlanta notes more desirable to collectors (or just your favorite)?

14. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

15. SteveInTampa

The $5 star note posted appears to be uncirculated with decent margins, so if I found it in the wild, I would keep it. I would keep it regardless of the district.

16. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

It's not a matter of Atlanta stars always being desirable; it's a matter of the 2009 $5 Atlanta star in particular being fairly scarce (only one run printed, and that a short run of 960,000 notes used as replacement sheets, which means no full straps of stars exist).

If you want to know which stars are going to be pricey, you have to consider the length of the print run, whether other runs exist for the same district/series, whether the run was released as full straps or as individual notes in regular straps, and sometimes even how the run was printed (LEPE replacement sheets have been a lot harder to find than COPE replacement sheets). There's no simple shortcut like "Atlanta is always good", sadly....

17. bugi1976

bugi1976 Member

wow - just found 2 of these...

with a miscut also...

18. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I've been tucking away any star notes I've found, and a couple of $100 star notes I bought from a fellow CTer. I've been wondering if there is an identifiable inverse relationship between denomination and number of collectors: e.g., as the denomination increases, do the number of collectors fall off drastically?

Steve

19. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

I am just wondering if they ever change the look of currency , to get all illegal paper money out of the system. I guess a lot of people would go crazy trying to find ways to convert into new paper money. What would all the drug dealers do?

20. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Skippy Topaz- Why spend the 1988A $5 at the end of your stack? List it on eBay. I'll give you twice it's face value.

What are the years of the $50s and the $20, by the way?

21. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Absolutely. Fewer collectors on high denomination notes, because so much of the value is tied up in face value of the note since they are still monetized.

Stevearino and Legomaster1 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted