Another self-slabber at it?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by The Half Dime, Feb 12, 2024.

1. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

If you have seen the first post of the same name, an error was present. I have seen a coin on USA Coin Book that looks like it's been self-slabbed. It's an 1891 Seated Liberty Dime graded by PGS at "VG-10, Corrosion". PGS apparently stands for Professional Grading Service, and I wonder why it wouldn't say VG-10 Details.

What makes me suspect it is that the slab appears to be not sonically sealed, possibly a BCW coin slab. They did list it as corroded, though. If you have any information on this grading company, please let me know as I am looking to learn as much as possible about grading services.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Here are the coin photos.

PGS.jpg
    PGS2.jpg

I tried looking up the website, and it is likely a website for another company, or it is not a real website as it took too long to respond, and it redirected the address to www.igsgrading.com.

4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Be very careful!

5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

One of around 20 companies using the old NumisTrust shell. Mostly they pop up for a while, sell coins on semi-shady auctions refencing PCGS price guide, and disappear.

-jeffB likes this.
  6. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Do these self-slabbers still grade today? Most of the ones I've read about are from around 2003-2013. It really fascinates me because I've been collecting coins since only November 2022.

7. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I would suggest that this most certainly still happens; anytime there is an opportunity to take advantage of ignorance, there will be a scammer to do so!

"Real" collectors/accumulators are quite leery about self-slobbers (see what I did there?)...Read: any slabs other than the big 4.

Always be vigilant of a deal too good to be true!

8. Burton Strauss III

Five, Steve, five

ANACS, CACG, ICG, NGC, PCGS

As for the NumisTrust slab, you see a lot of ANI and IGS still. NTC - with their distinctive colored insert - of course. NTCII may still be in business. And every few months some new slabber shows up (or the same people with different initials). Often at Gold Standard Auctions or the like. After a few months some leak for resale at fleaBay.

PlanoSteve, -jeffB and psuman08 like this.
  9. Burton Strauss III

Here's the latest... PCGS price guide comps... bogon grade

upload_2024-2-14_12-28-11.png

10. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

That's a little strange if they are a fake grading company. I've actually seen a gold eagle graded MS69 (I'm pretty sure it's 1986 1/2 oz).

11. Burton Strauss III

Why? It's probably MS60 or MS61, maybe AU with some rub. That makes it mostly gold value, $2500 +/-. MS66 is $4250 price guide.

12. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Honestly I haven't checked it out. I believe it's $4,320, which is a little ridiculous for that if it could even be AU. Then again, I have seen a circulated gold eagle (on PCGS Photograde there is one in F-12).

13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Should be a POS grading. I pay almost no attention to these bottom tier graders. I will say the old pci was quality and often conservative

14. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

What label color did the old PCI have? I'm wondering because I have one of theirs in a gold label.

15. Burton Strauss III

Gold label coins are junk graded.

The original green with 10 digit serial #s and two codes are the good ones.

Mainebill and psuman08 like this.
  16. Burton Strauss III

Since I had it in my hands, here is the "collection" of self-slabbers using the NumisTrust slab:

NTC Slabber Collection.jpg

-jeffB likes this.
  17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This was in an old ACG holder as PR-64. PCGS gave it PR-66 RB and CAC gave it a green sticker. I always take the time to look at what is in the holder. It has paid me well over the years.

275560510.jpg

18. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

That's quite a few coins! I wish I could buy some of those off of you.

19. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

You mean Accugrade actually undergraded? That sounds like.... uhhhh.... very weird lol. I have never owned an Accugrade coin, but I might get one soon if I can examine its grade and verify it.

20. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I love the explanation of what "PCCS" stands for.....Prestige Coin Grading Service.

Back to Alphabet Basics Class.

-jeffB likes this.
  21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The marketing surveys for Prestige Coin Con Service didn't return the results they were hoping for.

charley likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted