Another scoop of Byzantine, please!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Theodosius, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I was talking to the owner of my local coin shop lately, showing him a few of my latest ancients. He told me the following story. His family lived in Istanbul (Constantinople) in the early 1960s. His father used to take him down to the market on the weekend to shop for various things. At the end of the trip, his father would take him to the antique dealers, and for 3 or 4 dollars, you could get a coffee mug scoop of ancient coins, mostly Byzantines. He became quite an expert in Byzantine as a teenager having access to so many coins, so cheaply. When he became a dealer, he sold most of his personal collection.

This story had me drooling for a scoop of chunky, eastern Roman successors of the Sestertius and other odds and ends:

Byz Scoop 1a.jpg
    My wife of course had to ask if I knew what each coin was and which flip it belonged in. Doh! Of course, I know...not really. :)

Byz Scoop 2a.jpg

Please share your interesting coin shop, coin show, or other coin stories!

John

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Really fascinating story, John! Thanks for sharing it with us! :) That mug of Late Late Romans look delicious! I especially love the one with Jesus Christ in the bottom right of the 2nd picture. I am yet to purchase a Byzantine coin. :)

Theodosius likes this.
  4. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

How do you identify these?

5. Theodosius

Many of them have the emperor's name on the obverse. Some do not.

I use David Sear's book about this series, and Harlan Berk's book "Eastern Roman Successors of the Sestertius", which has some helpful keys for decoding their inscriptions.

I will admit being a newbie in this area and have not even tried to figure out what half of these are.

:)

Alegandron and SorenCoins like this.
  6. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

If you ever felt like making a deal on that chocolate-toned Justin to the upper right, I will be all ears :D

Makanudo and Theodosius like this.
  7. Theodosius

Hey, I think I just identified another one!

:)

Gavin Richardson and SorenCoins like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Cool coin scoop! That anonymous follis on the right ins't to shabby either!

I'm going to a coin show tomorrow, I"ll let you know if anything cool happens!

Theodosius and SorenCoins like this.
  9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very cool! I'd love to get a mug of coins.

My local shop bought a collection of nice ancients that were glued into a frame. After they got them all out and the glue off, I helped i.d. and price them. They gave me a sweet deal on a few afterwards. They let me take nice Corinthian stater home once just to show my mom. When I got enough money to buy it buy it, it was gone but they gave me a good deal on some other coins.

10. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

That is a nice Justin... decent portraits are not that easy to come by!

Theodosius and Caesar_Augustus like this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice grab of a mugful of coins with some delicious examples in there. I've got about 15 Byzantine coins so far ranging from 40 nummi pieces of Anastasius to the late trachies of the Comneni. I can't find any local dealers that sell Byzantines or even Romans, which is a bit strange. But coin shops are relatively rare in the Bay Area. Seems like most of the commerce in coins is online these days.

dadams and Theodosius like this.
  12. Theodosius

I went back to my local coin shop to check out what they have and to get another scoop of Byzantine coins before they were all gone. I decided I would bring my biggest beer stein to use for the scooping instead of that wimpy coffee mug.

Stein.JPG

They laughed, and were like, no I don't think so. You can use one of our regular beer mugs if you want (they serve beer, mostly Belgian ales), though it will cost more. I gave it my best scoop and this is what I got:

Mug O Byzantine a.jpg
    They charged me something like $3 per coin for the scoop and threw in a free beer. :) :) :)

I also picked up a copy of David Sear's "Byzantine Coins and Their Values" to go along with Wayne Sayle's and Harlan's books that I already have. I love how Byzantine coins are full of little details that can be decoded: inscriptions, valuation marks, mint marks, officiana, regnal or interdiction year, portraits, clothes, globes, books, etc. A little study and they start to make sense.

John

13. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Oh my, that looks so delicious!!! I also bought a copy of David Sear's book! :) I got it used off of Amazon. I am glad I invested on that book, and I've already stuck my nose in it to research the 2 Byzantine coins I have.

Those little details are beautiful. I noticed a few interesting details in my 2 coins. My Justinian follis ends with an AUI, instead of an AUG, and I'm not sure why! Sear's book says its "AUG", but the pictures he has shows an "AUI", did the engraver run out of space, for the entire duration the coins were being minted? I also have a coin of Maurice, it's beautiful. But its obverse legend ends with an AUT, and I have no clue why. Really interesting. Also, the variations with mints and officina as you mention it is very cool to study.

Wish you actually was able to use that hunk of a mug there, haha!

Theodosius likes this.
  14. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

What a nice collection of Byzantines! There are several delicious coins in there that I won't mind getting ;). I'm all ears :D

Theodosius likes this.
  15. Theodosius

Well, I hate to revive an old thread, but this holiday season I had time to go back to my local coin shop and see if I could score another scoop of coins. ;););)

Fortunately, they were open and had several urns of ancient coins available. I brought my beer mug hoping for a big haul, and they were like "No, you can get a scoop, but you can only use a shot glass!!!"

I thought, ok, I can play that game, and I went to the urn with the smallest coins and dug my shot glass in deep:

Shot Glass2.jpg
    Well, how many coins do you think I could get in one shot glass sized scoop?

Shot Glass1.jpg
    How about 164! They were not too amused, but a deal is a deal. I was hoping for a larger proportion of little Byzantines with cool monograms. I got a few, plus a bunch of coins with a small "x" on the back(?), and some late Romans with small portraits.

These will take a while to go through...

John

16. Theodosius

I was thinking of making this a new thread, with the title, "My favorite 164 coins of 2018"...

Numisnewbiest likes this.
  17. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Nice. This reminds me of what came onto my desk today. Here is a small portion, but they certainly werent as cheap as yours!

IMG_6108.jpg

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Dang! What city? I want to scoop too! :)

Theodosius likes this.
  19. Theodosius

When you are visiting we will go down there with a 5 gallon bucket each.

;)

Alegandron and TIF like this.
  20. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Wow! I wish I was that lucky. I think I would die if I had a chance to do that.

Caesar_Augustus likes this.
  21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I’m glad you revived this thread... I missed it the first time around. What a fun story, and I love the pics of those scoopsful of Byzantines. :)

Theodosius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted