Another Roman Emperor In The Bag!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikjo0, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

In my neverending quest to aquire one coin of each Roman Emperor,I have finally nabbed the last one from the 3rd century (201-300 AD).
    There were about 30+ in that century and I've been trying to find Tetricus and now he's mine.haha....and he was only $15:smile a cheap emperor.There were actually two guys on the throne at the time,skirmishing back and forth and eventually Tetricus was exiled,but not killed,by the next ruler, Aurelian.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Mikjo0,

Congratulations to you. Although I'm not into Ancients or Medival ......I really like your posts. There're always informative and very interesting. :thumb:

and you never know I might just have to pick up a few. After all I went from the liteside to the darkside.
    Of course GOLD would be my desire!!!! (Dang, Doug.. see what you've turned me into !!);)

4. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Thank You,
    So maybe I shouldn't post pics of my 7th century Byzantine gold or my celtic gold staters from 100BC.Wouldn't want to corrupt you.;)

5. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Yep, you know your ancient stuff :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Nice coin too :)

B

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah but you'll thank me in years to come :D

7. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

I would like to see pics of celtic gold staters and of course the associated history lesson !!!:whistle:

8. Hoody

Hoody New Member

How would I go about starting to understand coins enough to begin to make a collection like that(all emperors)?
    I think there could be alot of fakes on ebay and im too new to know the difference.
    Any books I could read, or suggestions people?
    Hoody

9. Marianne

Marianne New Member

"In my neverending quest to aquire one coin of each Roman Emperor,I have finally nabbed the last one from the 3rd century (201-300 AD)."

Congratulations! Your posts always inspire me. Based on the coins I have now, I might be able to put together a decent series called "Rulers with Unfortunate Facial Hair."

10. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

11. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Or how about "Bad Boys of Rome"?

(Caligula, Elagabalus, Commodus...)

12. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

tcore is absoloutely right.Sayle's book is great and it is the only book on ancients I own.Here it is,with an example of a typical couple of pages,with maps and all.

Attached Files:

13. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

And just when I was feeling a sense of "completeness" I went into a shop,looking to maybe start working on the last few 4th century emperors when I spotted this.At first I thought it was an incorrectly labeled coin of emperor Carinus but it turns out it was his dad who was the big cheese for about a minute (7 months to be exact) barely enough time to crank out his own coins.
    The coin is somewhat scarce and was originally layered with a silver wash over bronze.You can still see remnants of it in places.
    Live and learn...

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted