Another Rare Domitian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Jun 29, 2015.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Certain denarii struck by Domitian in 88-89 bearing his 14th consulship can be rare. Those with TR P XVII are rare enough to be of note.

D656sm.jpg
    AR Denarius
    Rome mint, 88-89 AD
    RIC 656 (R), BMC 147, RSC 246
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P VIII; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: IMP XVII COS XIIII CENS P P P; Minerva adv r., with spear and shield (M1)

Domitian did not take the consulship in 89, so this rare denarius is dated by TR P VIII between September 88 and September 89. The date can be further narrowed down by the 17th imperial acclamation. A military diploma dated 7 November, 88 records Domitian as IMP XVII, so this issue must have been struck briefly at the end of 88, perhaps just a month or so due to the rarity of the acclamation number on the denarii. Domitian's imperial acclamations were piling up fairly rapidly during this time period due to increased military activity along the Danube.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015
    randygeki, TIF, John Anthony and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Beautiful coin and very interesting history lesson.

David Atherton likes this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great coin ...

Does anybody want to see my Domitian? ... anybody? ... anybody? ... Bueller?

domitiana.jpg domitianb.jpg

randygeki, TIF, Orfew and 4 others like this.
  5. David Atherton

I do. :)

stevex6 likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

who me?

:woot:

"Jazz hands"

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Squirrel.jpeg

9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I was reading a reference that indicates, at his death in September AD 96, Domitian was in the course of his TR P XVI...(RE: Zander Klawans)----- and his COS XVII.....his last IMP XXI dated during 88 to 89 AD as well as his TR P X

So my denarius must have been struck just prior to or during 89 AD

Anyway, here's my sole Domitian:
    DSCF0391.JPG DSCF0392.JPG

randygeki, TIF, zumbly and 3 others like this.
  10. David Atherton

Rome mint, 90-91 AD
    RIC 721 (C2), BMC 181, RSC 264

Domitian did not assume the consulship in 91, so this coin is dated by the tribunician title from mid-September 90 to mid-September 91.

Nice example!

11. Mikey Zee

Thanks for the clarification---I was confusing myself LOL

12. David Atherton

You're quite welcome. Only a Flavian geek like myself would be OCD enough to help.

13. I sent my standing Minervas to my friend for his birthday. This is the favorite of what I have left.
    Domitian Altar Denarius.png
    Domitian Denarius 80 AD (Under Titus) - CAESAR DIVI F DOMITIANVS COS VII, laureate head right / PRINCEPS IVVENTVTIS, lighted & garlanded altar
    19.1mm
    3.55g

randygeki, TIF, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  14. Mikey Zee

Absolutely stunning coin!!

15. David Atherton

A wonderful example! The altar reverse has always been one of my favourite "pulvinaria" types struck for Domitian.

16. Thank you, sir.

17. I remember pulvinaria from botany; had to look up the application of the word toward ancients. Awesome.

18. David Atherton

The pulvinaria types coined by Titus and Domitian are quite mysterious in meaning. Traditionally they have been attributed to a lectisternium held in the aftermath of the Vesuvian disaster of 79. More current scholarship attributes the series to a ceremony held for the opening games of the Colosseum (see RIC II 2007, N. T. Elkins 2006).

Mikey Zee, TIF and iamtiberius like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted