Another PCGS restoration - ok, I guess?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fiddlehead, Jul 28, 2016.

1. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

PCGS removed the PCV residue from this coin and put it in a new holder with the same grade. The coin looks OK, but is pretty bright. Since it was a likely victim of an earlier cleaning anyway, I suppose it's better off than it was. Original is on bottom, post restoration on top. Different photo sources, so it isn't exactly apples to apples ....

What do you think?

1840 $1  post restoration by pcgs.jpg

1840 p $1 Seated Liberty Dollar composite.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Looks like they removed more than PVC. :(

spirityoda, Paddy54 and Omegaraptor like this.
  4. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think so too. Some of the dirt on the shield is still there - some seems to have been lost.

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

They over dip a lot of coins and make you wait 3 months for their "expertise."

fiddlehead likes this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

All they had to do was acetone soak it and it would have been fine. Do you think they used dip instead??

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Does anyone here know who (?) does the "work" at PCGS and their qualifications (?) and experience (?)? Does anyone know what equipment that place uses? For example, they have a fume hood and use a deionized water setup at NCS.

Also, is the reason people choose PCGS to clean their coins because they are worth more in a PCGS slab no matter the result?

There are ways/chemicals that remove PVC w/o stripping the coin :bucktooth::arghh: in a dip!

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I've been told over the phone with customer service that David Hall does every single restoration himself.

BigTee44 likes this.
  9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Whoa, I like the BEFORE pictures better, looked more natural IMO.

PVC is simple to address. Why didn't you do it yourself?

10. Insider

:facepalm: YIKES! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! You are kidding me, right? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: That's a good one.

Hey, this is true, no kidding, there are a few coin dealers who know some really good stuff and have become very proficient at their craft. I guess we call them "coin doctors." There are some "professionals" (I'll use that term loosely here as I'll include myself :bucktooth:) who learned a few things from them that I would absolutely classify as proper conservation.

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I'm not kidding. David flipping Hall. I was told he is the ONLY one who does them. (Maybe I should have said David Dipping Hall?)

12. Insider

I will NEVER believe that unless he tells me himself and I SEE him conserving coins for a few hours a day! It's a good bet that he has "played" with coins for decades which takes care of the "experience" part of the equation (experience at anything does not guarantee competency); but, PCGS must not be getting many coin submissions. If that's the case, I wonder why?

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'm sure the told CBD that on the phone just like they've told so many people their orders are almost done lol. In all seriousness I doubt that, I believe their awful customer service said it but I have my doubts that wasn't just them not knowing what they're talking about. Him having to approve the final product could be true but one person doing every single coin very unlikely

Insider likes this.
  14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Maybe it's what he likes to do insider. Ever think of that?

15. Insider

That should certainty make a good guess :facepalm: :rolleyes:. Allow me to enlighten you a little so your next guess may be more thoughtful. :kiss:

Do you have any idea of how BORING conservation can be? Do you have any idea how much time of the day conservation (of EASY coins) takes with any amount of submissions?

I DO :cigar:. The last time I was near the NCS lab, they had three full-time conservators plus a lab head (who now also helps with grading/authentication) that did the really expensive coins. If Hall does all the conservation...either they have very few submissions or... It's no wonder that ...:muted:

BTW, I just posted a question about what @C-B-D was told over the phone on the CU forum.

MKent likes this.
  16. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I don't like the new coin at all. It looks pale, overdipped, and in no way original. I would take the old coin in a heartbeat, give it an acetone bath, and then send it in.

But hey, maybe a dimwit collector will buy the slab and you'll get your money back.

Insider likes this.
  17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Again, maybe he enjoys doing it. Who the hell knows and who the hell cares anyway.

18. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

To quote Fats Domino " Ain't that a shame"

green18, spirityoda and Paddy54 like this.
  19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Oh about the op coin. What a shame. A quick soak in acetone would've removed that smidgen of pvc without the deplorable results you received. What the crap balls did they do to your coin?!

Paddy54 likes this.
  20. Insider

:facepalm: Did you read this thread yet :confused:; or are you :sour::grumpy: today? Did you have your lunch? o_O

It seems a member here is disappointed with the cleaning his coin got from a "professional (?) conservation service. I'm interested in who did the "job." Are you?
    Now please stop :troll: so someone can post something of value here. :happy:

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Speechless ....... that's horrible !

Draft saved Draft deleted