Another one to report.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

:dead-horse:

The back of the bar says "in clad we trust"

4. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

Well it does say clad in the title

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

True, and its in the clad listings. I still HATE when they sell clad bars stating ".999 Silver 1 troy ounce". It would be like having something on the box stating "100% American made" and you open it up and there is a "made in China" sticker on the item.

Still grossly misleading to future owners. Btw, "in clad we trust" is there, but not very prominent on the reverse. :(

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Not disagreeing, and think the person buying this will be fine. I just hate to think who will inherit it. :(

8. Detecto92

The buyer is ok....but imagine this...

15 years from now, the buyer dies, so they have an estate auction. He has 10 of these bars. The buyers pay full price, because they say .999 Silver Troy ounce.

Although not deceiving, but highly annoying are those copper rounds/bars that say "bullion" in the title.

Bullion means "struck from precious metal" Copper or nickel is not a precious metal.

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yes, it does.... READ before you post.

Intentionally misleading, yes.. but you cannot stop this. Instead of wasting time trying to save everyone else, why not invest in bettering yourself? Obviously the world does not appreciate your unselfishly valiant, yet attention-gaining efforts.

10. rickmp

Just don't go to that estate sale.
    It'll just be attended by greedy hoarders anyway.
    Two birds killed with one stone.

11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It says "clad" right in the title. READ!!! Misleading--yes. However, anyone who doesn't read an auction post gets what he/she deserves.

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

So if the "buyer is okay", on what grounds are we to report the item?

I am sure the buyer will rest easy at night knowing they have your blessing.

13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I agree, ebay should warn this seller that they are walking a fine line and put an end to this mis-leading pattern. nuff said.:T$:

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Although you may not realize it, some of you are just making the same type of decision from the other side of the post. As BooksB4Coins said

I think you guys could be putting your time and knowledge into answering more astute and challenging threads than just contributing to wasting time trying to convince someone to change. As long as a post is within the rules it will be allowed, it is up to the rest of the forum members to decide if the post is worth answering or not. If posts are not answered, they eventually pass. Just let it go, or answer specifically without character judgments as those may eventually invoke reaction. If you have played refereed sports, you know it is usually the response that gets penalized rather than the initial action.
    Jim

15. Detecto92

Actually we can stop this. One report will not have these listings removed, but many reports from CT members will. I've seen fake coins posted here, and enough of us reported it, the listing was removed, and the seller was "presumably" chastised.

In the past two years, these types of items have quadrupled or more in listings on eBay.

While we should worry about ourselves, it is up to us to put a lid on this type of stuff, as eBay could care less.

16. Detecto92

Now this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-OZ-OUNCE-GERMAN-NAZI-SWASTIKA-999-PURE-24K-GOLD-3RD-REICH-IRON-CROSS-WWII-BAR-/180920408482?pt=UK_Coins_Bullion_Bars_SM&hash=item2a1fb259a2#ht_2936wt_1270

T
    his bar does not have any marking that it's clad. It says 999/1000 gold.

Even more odd, it says "item location, Chicago,IL"

However, this seller is from the UK and the item is shipped from the UK.

How can it call itself the "US Mint". I would think this would be infringing copyright on the actual US Mint.

17. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Hey.......forget these guys.

I wanna know what happened to the Franklin Collectors Mint since they are still selling their error coins??

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Actually, no , multiple reports from CT or any other forum will not stop this. They have not violated any eBay rule. Don't agree, don't like it, but bullion is exempt from eBay stock photo rule, eBay counterfeiting rule, eBay replica rule, etc. I still report the replica/copies when I see them, but they do not pull them. So, good luck!

19. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

As previously stated, there is little that can be done about these misleading auctions, as eBay's rules for selling bullion are somewhat lacking.

20. rickmp

Super heroes only exist in comic books, Tim, and I've never seen your name on a comic book cover.

Why do we have to police ebay sellers? Let ebay do it as they see fit. If you don't like the product being offered, you are under no obligation to bid.

21. DM1

DM1 Active Member

Since that particular ebay listing has been brought up, there's no swastika on that bar either.

Draft saved Draft deleted