Another of my old poot questions.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GUNNER63736, Oct 18, 2020.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

I have seen the expression, "Buy the coin, not the holder". Ok, I am a bit confused, which is not uncommon for me. Does this expression mean that I am wasting my money when I purchase a certified PCGS, etc. coin? My coin collection consists of mostly newer silver coins that are certified but I also collect uncertified raw older silver coins. The older certified coins are a bit out of my comfort zone because of the higher prices. Thanks for your help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

No, it merely means that you need to focus more on the coin than what the label says, because there are substandard coins in TPG holders too.

The slab helps answer some questions like authenticity and grade, but is not necessarily an indicator of a good quality coin.

Focus on the coin's attributes first and foremost, and learn to judge for yourself, is all that maxim is saying. Don't lean too heavily on what the holder says.

But on the other hand, don't totally ignore it either.

"Buy the coin and the holder," I say. The coin is what counts, naturally, but what a holder says is an important consideration as well.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Oldhoopster, tibor, JeffC and 3 others like this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I believe it means to do what you have been doing. Buy the coin that grabs your fancy regardless of what the label says.

JeffC likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Would you rather have a nice graded coin or a graded coin with a fancy label?

Draft saved Draft deleted