Another newbie question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by blueshound, Jul 11, 2006.

1. blueshound

blueshound New Member

When a coin says "clad" what does it mean? In the case of the 2006 Proof Kennedy half, are all the proofs clad, or only a small percentage? Would a
    2006-S 50C Clad PR70 Deep Cameo NGC have more value than a PR70 that is not clad, or is that the standard proof? Any idea what would be a good price to acquire the described coin?
    Thank you all for all of the help you have given me in beginning my fledgling collection! (or should I just buy a few more 2006 Mint Proof sets instead?)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

I'll take a shot... and more knowledgable folks please feel free to jump in.

"Clad" generally means that a metal has been "bonded" to a core of, usually, another metal. (I can't think of an example where it's the same metal, but you know what happens when you assume.) For example, the circulation quarters are copper-nickel clad over a core of copper.

If a coin is "silver-clad" that means that silver is the "outside" metal. Those are only being made for proof sets these days (and only some of those sets). The example you note (2006-S Clad) should have noted whether it is silver clad or copper-nickel clad. The value depends on the usual factors not the least of which is the number minted of silver-clad vs. copper-nickel clad.

4. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

George is right.....
    No one knows what one will be worth more or what one would be better.....some people like to guess but there isn't any way we can know for sure.
    My suggestion is to buy the one you like.

Speedy

5. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Actually "silver-clad" refers to Kennedy halves minted from 1965 to 1970, as well as quarters, halves, Ike dollars minted for the Bicentennial uncirculated set in 1975 and 1976, and Ike dollars minted from 1971 to 1978 especially for collectors(Ikes made for circulation are copper-nickel clad). Silver-clad coins have a core that is 20% silver, 80% copper, with clad layers that are 80% silver, 20% copper. Overall they are 40% silver by weight. They haven't minted any silver clad coins since 1978; silver proof sets minted since 1992 and various commemoratives now minted are a solid alloy that is 90% silver, 10% copper, the same as was the standard for dimes, quarters, and half dollars prior to 1965.

Most clad coins are copper-nickel clad; these have a core of pure copper with clad layers that are 75% copper, 25% nickel (overall they are about 92% copper, 8% nickel by weight). Dimes, quarters, and half dollars from 1965 to the present have this composition, as did Ike dollars from 1971 to 1978 and SBA dollars from 1979 to 1999.

Sacagawea dollars are also clad; the have a pure copper core with clad layers of manganese brass, which is 77% copper, 12% zinc, 7% manganese, 4% nickel.

In answer to the original question... a 2006-S Kennedy proof would either be copper-nickel clad, made for normal clad proof sets, or made from a solid alloy of 90% silver, 10% copper, for the silver proof sets. Kennedy half dollars haven't been minted in silver clad since 1976. If the 2006-S is described as clad, it means it is the copper-nickel clad made for the standard proof sets as opposed to one made for the silver proof set.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Short answer. Until 1965 our coins were a solid alloy. Since 1965 they have been coppernickel "clad" or bonded to a pure copper core. Usually you only specify "clad" if they also come another way that same year. Since 1992 they have made proof sets with all the coins of the regular circulation composition, and sets where the dime quarter and half were made of a solid 90% silver alloy. Normally the silver issues are worth more. Your 2008-S half is labeled Clad so that we know it is not the 2006-S 90% silver proof issue.

7. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

Thanks for setting me straight, Troodon!

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

All true.

Clad is coming to refer to only cu/ ni clad but some still use it for 40% silver or silver clad.

Clad proof sets are differentiated from silver proof sets but the nickel will be cu/ ni and the cent copper plated zinc. The clad dollar has a somewhat different alloy.

9. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Correct. Usually the term "silver clad" is used only when it's needed to make a distinction between other coins with different compositions, such as distinguishing silver clad Kennedys (1965-1970) from silver Kennedys (1964, and silver proofs 1992 to the present). A lot of times they'll just call it "silver" or "40% silver" if the date makes it obvious which composition it has. Don't see it used a lot otherwise.

Silver proof sets (minted from 1992 to the present) have the dimes, quarters, and half dollars minted in 90% silver, 10% copper alloy which until 1965 used to be the standard composition for these coins. The nickel is still 75% copper, 25% nickel, the cent copper-coated zinc (about 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper by weight) and the Sacagawea dollar (included in both silver and clad proof sets since 2000) still manganese brass, composition mentioned in my first post. The normal clad proof sets have the same composition as is standard for business strike coins for circulation.

Draft saved Draft deleted