Another newbee question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Ruthlankford68, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Ruthlankford68

Ruthlankford68 Active Member

I was looking at a coin site that has videos about what they say are rare coins. And one said that a 1959d penny was rare. Is something this simple true?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

1959 was the year they changed the reverse on the cent from wheat stalks to the trolly car (memorial reverse.) Coins struck in the year in which a new design element should appear but instead the old element appears is a transitional error. If you find 1959D with a wheat stalk reverse, that's authentic, you might get rich. Don't waste too much life looking for one.

https://www.pcgs.com/News/The-Mystery-Of-The-1959-d-Mule-Lincoln-Cent

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  4. Ruthlankford68

Thank you.i knew I had a 1959d penny but... Only with what I thought was a building. Lol I appreciate the info. Since I have you on here I hope you don't mind another question about a 2009 penny a site also said was rare. I have a few with different pictures on the back. Are they rare? Or something I shouldn't spend?

5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I never heard anything about 2009's being rare. But I don't follow modern Lincolns. I hate everything about them.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Diogenes Diaz and Inspector43 like this.
  6. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Different reverse designs ere made in 2009 for the bicentennial of Lincoln's birth. None of these are rare. You have to be really careful with any coin collecting videos, while there are some very good ones, many are full of false information.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

8. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Something most people don't know is that the 2009 copper versions from mint sets each had a lower mintages than the 1909-s VDB.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There has been a lot of hype over the years about doubled dies on the reverse of the second design (Lincolns formative years, also called LP2) and some people try to hype those as rare. Problem is there is something like 100 DIFFERENT doubled die reverses known for the LP2.

10. Ruthlankford68

I appreciate all the info. Sorry I didn't thank you before now. To have been getting ready for the curfew and didn't realize that I hadn't until now. But thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I doll appreciate it.

Draft saved Draft deleted