Another Mohur!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Mar 18, 2016.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

AV Mohur AH 1130 year 3 (1722AD) Khujista-Bunyad Mint struck for Mughal Emperor
    Muhammad Shah 1719-48

John john photos 1 014 (Medium).jpg john photos 1 016 (Medium).jpg john photos 1 015 (Medium).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

interesting

panzerman likes this.
  4. panzerman

Yeah, the Mughal Empire controlled most of india/ like the Dehli Sultanate they conquered, when their armies destroyed the Dehli army at Panipat in 1526. Babar the Mughal commander used cannon/firearms to win vs the foces of Ibrahim Lodi of Dehli. The Mughals made the most massive AV coins in history 1000/500/200/100 Mohurs to the tiniest the 1/64 Mohur Fanam 1/2 Fanams. Also the fabled Zodiac Mohurs were struck by Emperor Jahangir.

5. Kellen Coin

Kellen Coin YN With MANY Coin Accounts

I really like the design.

panzerman likes this.
  6. panzerman

I agree, Indian coins have some of the most interesting designs, certainly not boring.

7. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

That is a very nice grade. I don't think NGC kept a population record of grades for these coins, which is really a pity. The highest grade I have is an MS 66, struck by Shah Jahan's son Aurangzeb (17th Century) but have no idea of finding out if it is there amongst the highest graded.

panzerman likes this.
  8. 1934 Wreath Crown

9. david clark

david clark Member

Sweet
    ! I've been buying India coins for 30 years, one rarely encounters gem mughal gold!
    I'm seeking choice ancient era India these days....

panzerman likes this.
  10. panzerman

Nice coin, excellent quality! I have a Mohur 1640 Surat mint ex: Akola Hoard, issued for Shah Jahan I john photos 1 013 (Medium).jpg

11. 1934 Wreath Crown

I think a lot of these high grade coins were actually from the Akola Hoard. Quite a few have surfaced suddenly.

Like this Shah Jahan Mohur which I recently acquired, very similar to your coin Panzerman and the same mint Surat.

Shah Jahan year 2.jpg Shah Jahan Year 2 Rev.jpg

12. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Greeat coins. I don't collect Indian gold, but love to have fun with the bronze and silver issues prior to 1900 or so. Great bargains and a way to induce one to learn the Arabic alphabet and how it is used on coinage. Thank God for Richard Plant's book, Islamic Coins and How to read them. There are many good sources on line as well.

panzerman likes this.
  13. panzerman

The Mughals were famous for their "zodiac Mohurs". I like even better, the fact that they produced the tiny 1/64 Mohur to the massive 35 pound 1000 Mohur! In a1983 auction, both the 1000 and the 500 Mohur were featured, both remained unsold.

14. 1934 Wreath Crown

The Zodiac mohurs were during the reign of Jehangir, the fourth ruler of the Mughal Dynasty. I think there are only 5 known complete sets, if I'm not mistaken. One being with the British Museum. The others in Berlin, France and Thailand with a full set having been recently found in India. OK lets add that to the wish list....NO not the full set, even one will be good enough :).

I think the complete set will run into several million bucks in mint condition.

it is interesting that his son had them all melted down and banned their use, as they bore portraits, which is forbidden in Islam. Hence the rarity of these coins.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted