Another mixed group off to PCGS/NGC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by britannia40, Dec 28, 2015.

1. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

You and me both, my friend. I like to complain about PCGS, but most of what gets poor or details grades was a bit of a gamble sending in anyways, in my experience. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised. I just got back a fairly rare Civil War token that I bought as a Fine from a leading dealer - I agreed with his grade. PCGS gave me a VF30 - I'm thrilled with that!

britannia40 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

I think from the group my favorites are the

1. 1808 10 cash hard to find in nice shape I have a AU details shipwreck 20 cash. I bought them both raw same seller like 10-20$ 8-12 months ago.

2. 1797 lan 6 I bought for 5$ had some corrosion around cap I was able to get off gently with toothpick and olive oil.

lastly the 1901-03 10 cash. Full dragon. disappointed on the grade

4. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

My next Civil War submission has a coin I tried a conservation technique on, to gently get the verdigris off. I'm curious to see if it comes back problem free. Nothing I'd try on a mint state gem, but for a VF+ coin, it's worth trying, I suppose.

5. britannia40

first 2 are the seller pictures that show the corrosion. around cap and letters and some other areas.
    1797e.jpg 1797e1.jpg

this is after I was don't with olive oil and toothpick.
    1797m.jpg
    1797m1.jpg

JPeace$ and jester3681 like this.
  6. britannia40

I've do this with probably 25-30 coins never had one body bagged. I did get impatient twice and scratched 2 coins. the dirt gets on the toothpick and then when you rub to hard puts a scratch on the coin. you live and learn. I have used MS70 to get crude off the silver coins. never had a problem with it. I used on the 1889aE 8 reales I submitted this time. before it had bad dirt and crude around the letters I used MS70 and toothpick very very gently.

7. britannia40

8. britannia40

The didn't photograph the 3 japan pieces yet.

1889.jpg 1899.jpg 1902.jpg 1905.jpg un sou.jpg

JPeace$ likes this.
  9. britannia40

You can check now.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. britannia40

I got lucky it wasn't the shipwreck coin like the 20 cash (AU details) I got from the same seller.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted