Another misattributed Chola coin- or is it?!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, Aug 21, 2020.

1. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

So, in one of my previous posts I showed a Chola error coin which was misattributed as Pandya, but this time, an actual Pandya coin which is much scarcer was being sold as a Chola stater! Pandya.png
    On the left is the standard Raja Raja Chola stater (985-1014 AD), while the obverse is the same with a standing king with a lamp to his left, the reverse is different! with the Chola coin, it reads Raja Raja in Negeri script under his arm, however, in the Pandya coin, there is a fish under the king's arm and the royal scepter to its right! This coin also weighs only 2 grams, while the Chola weighs 4 grams. What's more interesting is these coins are more than 250 years apart with the Pandya coin being minted around 1268-1308 AD under Maravarman Kulasekara Pandyan I, after the Pandyas having beaten the Cholas in 1279 and establishing not only their independence but also the subjugation of Cholas. I ordered this coin on eBay back in May which I only received today! It may not mean much to others, but for me having an interest in the rivalry of Cholas and Pandyas since 300 BCE, it means a lot to come across any of their coins :D
    A good example of the same coin that I came across on worldofcoins.eu fish pandya.jpg
    http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=38043.0

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

That is a lovely coin! I have posted some of my Pandyan coins on WoC before, but not here. I haven't photographed a lot of my coins yet, but here is a few examples:

Medieval Pandyas: Jatavarman Sundara Pandya I (1251-1268) Æ Kasu (MCSI 399)

Obv: Tamil Legend - சுதர பானடி யன (Sundara Pandyan); Crozier? below
    Rev: Chola Style Standing Figure; fish above pellets

upload_2020-8-21_12-20-24.png

The following coin was issued after the Vijayanagar Empire expelled the Madurai Sultanate and sent Visvanatha Nayaka as the regent. Apologies for the crappy image.

Madurai Nayaka: Visvanatha Nayaka (1529-1564) Æ Kasu (MCSI 799)

Obv: Scepter between two fishes; crescent above left; below: Tamil Legend விஸவநாதன (Visvanathan)
    Rev: Standing man in Chola Style

upload_2020-8-21_12-42-6.png

Draft saved Draft deleted