Another medieval Byzantine

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Mar 15, 2015.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Picked up another Byzantine from the 10th century, this time its of Leo VI "the Wise".

Either the son of emperor Michael III or his successor Basil I, Leo VI was born in 866 at Constantinople, and became co-emperor alongside Basil I. The two had a rough relationship; at one point Basil almost had young Leo blinded. In 886, Basil went to his grave believing Leo had something to do with his fatal hunting accident.

Leo succeeded Basil, and the new emperor quickly consolidated his rule and appointed allies to positions close to him, and sought to bring certain groups under control, such as the aristocratic families and the Orthodox Church. He also did not tolerate injustice or corruption of any kind; legend says he sometimes roamed around the capital disguised, and would weed out corrupt guards by attempting to bribe them with money.

Leo's wars were a mixed bag. He successfully put the heat on the Arabs on the eastern borders, invaded Armenia, and had the Magyars attack the Bulgarians in the north. But his attempt to take back Cyprus failed, and Constantinople and Thessalonika were attacked by the Rus and Muslim forces respectively.

Leo VI died in 912 and was succeeded by his brother Alexander.

Leo VI, Byzantine Empire
    AE follis
    Obv: LEON bASILEVS ROM, crowned, bust facing with short beard, wearing chlamys and holding akakia
    Rev: +LEON EN QEO BA-SILEVS R-OMEON legend in four lines
    Mint: Constantinople (struck 886-912)
    Ref: SB 1729

[​IMG]

Eng, dlhill132, chrsmat71 and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

At this point in history one can appreciate anything with a face an legend. Wonderful write up.

ValiantKnight likes this.
  4. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Thanks Anoob. Yeah, this was one type I really sought and absolutely needed to have one with a face on it, since I very much like the frontal busts of these later Byzantine folles.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Another winner, Jango => sweet, sweet addition!!

Ummm, hopefully I'm allowed/invited to toss-in my two cents? (or my follis in this case)

:woot:

Leo VI the Wise.jpg

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Seeking clarification of the history you relate, I looked at the attribution (dates) of my relevant Byzantine coins and am more confused. Googling for more information has so far only raised more questions.

For instance, I recorded the date of this follis of Basil I with Constantine VII as 867-876. Basil I ruled until 886 and Leo VI took over.
    [​IMG]

Thinking I'd just made a typo (and I found many on my website while writing this), I rechecked Wildwinds. Nope, that's what is recorded. Thinking Wildwinds made a typo or that the date reflects when Constantine VII died, I looked at other sources. The Buerger Collection writeup had this to say about a Basil I + Constantine VII AV solidus:

Hmm. So, I'm still unsure of the correct dates for this coin. Unless it is known that production of the type stopped three years before the death of Constantine VII, it seems that the date range should be 867-879. Either Wildwinds is wrong, the Buerger Collection info is wrong, production of the type was stopped three years before Constantine VII's death, or there is some other explanation I haven't though of.

As for Leo The Wise, I have examples of each of his folles:

SB 1728
    [​IMG]

SB 1729
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SB 1730, with Alexander, Leo's younger brother and successor
    [​IMG]

Eng, dlhill132, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  7. Ancientnoob

Jeeze, TIF I forgot you were so big on The Wise. All of these are lovely coins.

TIF likes this.
  8. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I don't collect Byzantine but I would probably make an exception for any of the coins on this thread.

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

welcome to the club VK!

it looks like TIF is the club president.

[​IMG]

stevex6, ValiantKnight and TIF like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Curiosity question: What factor of Byzantines attracts or repels members of this list? Somewhere along the time they cover in one metal or another they span a wide range of beauty, interest or workmanship. I know people attracted to the super crude bronzes where making an ID can be a challenge. I know people fond of the formal late Christian art. I know people who collect according to the interesting stories of the reigns (plagues, blinding your relatives etc.). What is your take on Byzantine?
    Justinian I large module follis
    rz0090bb0544.jpg
    Heraclius overstrike
    rz0340bb1171.jpg
    Anonymous Christ type follis
    rz0500bb2288.jpg
    Michael VII electrum
    rz0525bb3150.jpg
    Alexius III cup shaped trachy
    rz0640bb0615.jpg
    John VIII silver (latest reasonable Byzantine - the last emperor Constantine XI is super rare)
    rz0660bb1974.jpg

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I just noticed that all my examples have facing portraits so maybe that is what attracted me. There are profile portrait Byzantines but facing is more common.

Ancientnoob and stevex6 like this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hmmm, you're correct ... I only have a half-dozen Byzantine examples, yet all of them are front-facing (oh, and all of the portraits are kinda crude looking ... ummm, kinda like the adults decided to let their kids mint the coins during this era?!!)

... but as you also stated, the coins have cool back-stories and whether you like the style or not, they are certainly recognizable, eh? (yah, all coins are cool and I merely try to pick a few from each of the coin eras)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    TIF and Ancientnoob like this.
  13. Ancientnoob

Ok, I'll bite.

Answer:
    First what repels me from Byzantine Bronze coins is general lack of completeness of the intended design and condition of the great majority of available specimens of most types.
    Second what repels me from Byzantine Silver is price. Many of the gem specimens are pretty expensive, but if you can make conditional exceptions than a nice one can be had a few hundred dollars.
    Third what repels me from Byzantine Gold. Price. The general obscurity of emperors after the demise of the ancient empires. I would have a tough time rattling off Byzantine emperors after say AD 1000.

What I do love and what draws me to a particular Byzantine piece is a combination of factors.

Price: I have to be able to afford it.
    Assuming a can afford whatever Byzantine piece available to me...

Emperor: If them emperors has an exceptional and noteworthy reign or somehow contributed to human history then I would love a coin of the ruler.

Condition:The coin has to be at least what I would consider VF- for Bronze, F + for silver and EF for Gold. (Notice I have no Gold, but if I am going for gold I will go for the gusto.)

Style: The coin I select would ideally be a coin of the time in the reign of said emperor that reflect highest artistic style available. For example the super big Justinian Follis. Not the piddly late ones. Now If I found a year XXX or equivalent in high grade, I would buy it, but not before the giant early 40 piece.

Mint: I like Nikomedia and favor the style and seemingly better condition of the mint products. I would accept a coin from any mint. I would only make conditional sacrifices if the mint were Italian or African.

Andronicus III Paleologus 20130630_AndronicusIIPaleologus_opt2.jpg
    Andronicus I Comnenus

AndronicusIComnenus1183-1185ADS1985_opt.jpg
    Justinian I
    20141027_JustinianIFollis541AD_opt.jpg
    Anastasius
    20141126_AnaFollis498-507AD_opt.jpg
    Khusro II
    KhusroII12Nummi_opt.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    chrsmat71, Eng, TIF and 2 others like this.
  14. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Awesome new coin Jeff..;)

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i collect a little bit of everything, so byzantine coins are in my collection for the same reason as anything else...a combination of aesthetics, cost, and timing (when i can spend the cash).

in general though, i like the art style ...not high greek stuff i now, but it's ...quaint? plus all the weirdness is cool, messed up flans, crazy overstrikes, schyphate coins.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I agree with Anoob, at least on the reasons for not buying Byzantine coinage. I just can't get interested.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  17. Ancientnoob

I am really surprised Bing! You can't get interested in Byzantine coinage? Your not one of those people who thinks Rome died in AD 476? Or you just don't want busted coins made from dies carved by preschoolers.

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm with Bing. Most of my Byzantines were from a large mixed lot. I'd hoped to become interested while sifting through them but I remain lukewarm and have been debating whether to sell most of them.

If I sell them I'll probably become interested in Byzantine history a week later :rolleyes:.

stevex6 likes this.
  19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> wow Jango, you're one lucky-pup!! ... it sounds like nobody else wants to bid on your coin-targets!! (that's awesome, my parrot-lovin' friend!! ... go get 'em!!)

;)

Again => I love your new Wise Leo pickup!!

Cheers

20. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I know the Roman Empire continued after the fall of Rome, but, in my mind, it wasn't the same thing. And you are right. The Byzantine coinage lacks the artistic qualities of the early Roman and the Ancient Greek coins. It's just not my collecting niche.

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted