Another List : Favorite Coins from $1 - $100

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Dec 13, 2016.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

This format was started by Doug in a post last year, and I really enjoyed playing along. The idea is that we show ten coins bought this year costing between $1-$100, with each coin representing your favorite in its own ten dollar price category (ie., your favorite coin between $1-$10, then $11-$20, and so on, all the way up to $91-$100).

None of my coins below duplicate coins in my Top 10 list as the cheapest one in that list, at $125, slightly misses the $100 cutoff here. My hardest choices came in the $61-$70 and $71-$80 brackets, which is probably not surprising since my average per-coin spend for the year was just a bit north of $70.

Please feel free to play along even if you have coins missing in some of the price brackets... post your own threads (better) or post in this one if you prefer. Here's my list, from cheapest to most expensive (prices inclusive of any auction and shipping fees)...

$1 - $10
    GALLIENUS. AE Antoninianus ($6)

01 Gallienus - Deo Marti.jpg
    There may be a halfway decent coin lurking beneath the dirt and mineral deposits here, but I'm not much of a coin cleaner and in any case quite like how this one looks in all its grungy glory. I have about thirty Gallienus coins, but didn't have one with this DEO MARTI reverse. $6 shipped? I'm in!

$11 - $20
    GALLIENUS. ALEXANDRIA, Troas. AE20 ($14)

02 Gallienus - Alexandria Troas Eagle.jpg
    Another Gallienus, but this time a provincial from Alexandria Troas. I really like the coins of this city and didn't have one of this type. It's a little raggedy but quite well-centered, and still sports a strong bust and nice detail on the eagle.

$21 - $30
    KINGDOM OF AXUM. Anonymous. AE16 ($24)

03 Axum Kingdom - AE16.jpg
    $24 bought me this pretty AE from Axum, the Ethiopian kingdom that adopted Christianity in the 4th century AD. The central depression on the reverse was once inlaid with gold, but on mine just a few flecks (in the lower right quadrant) remain. Still, how cool is this coin!

$31 - $40
    PISIDIA, Termessus Major. Pseudo-autonomous. AE30 ($36)

04 Pisdia Termessus Major - temp gallienus AE30.jpg
    Brian Buckland of Bargain Bin Ancients showed this colourful and impressive 30mm bronze from Termessus Major in a post here a couple of months ago. To me, it looked like a double striking accident at the mint compressed the figure of Tyche on the reverse into an oddity with just a head, robed legs and no torso. Naturally, I contacted him soon after to ask if it was for sale :D.

$41 - $50
    CONSTANTIUS CHLORUS. AE Antoninianus ($43)
    05 Constantius I - Antoninianus Trophy.jpg

Antoninianii of Constantius and Galerius are scarce, having been struck for a short period prior to Diocletian's comprehensive monetary reforms, which killed off the old workhorse denomination of the 3rd century for good. I had a Galerius but no Constantius, and this one made up for its worn reverse die with a great hook-nosed portrait that was struck nice and deep.

$51 - $60
    TRAJAN DECIUS. AR Antoninianus ($51)

06 Trajan Decius - Dacia new.jpg
    Yet another one with one side better than the other, and if the reverse was as good as the obverse, I don't think the coin would qualify for inclusion on this list. The portrait here looks almost living to me, and at the same time stately in its toned silver and black.

$61 - $70
    ILLYRIA, Apollonia. AR Drachm ($68)
    07 Illyria Apollonia Drachm Fire Lagobolon.jpg

I bought at least half a dozen coins in this price bracket this year that I really love, but the rules are that there can only be one winner... this, a rare drachm of Apollonia showing the Fires of its famed Nymphaeum as part of the design on the reverse. I had to have it to pair with an equally rare hemidrachm, which was the first coin I posted here this year. As much as this was a coin I wanted to win, nobody else seemed to want it, which was just fine by me :).

$71 - $80
    GORDIAN III. AR Antoninianus ($71)

08 Gordian - Hercules.jpg
    Another price bracket in which I had many favorites, and I waffled alot of which to choose. In the end, it was this common-as-cockroaches antoninianus of Gordian III, with its excellent strike, minty luster, and wonderfully detailed face of Jupiter. I know many here would probably balk at paying $71 for an ant of Gordian III, but this one called out, and my wallet duly answered. Sometimes, you don't hate when that happens.

$81 - $90
    JULIAN THE APOSTATE. AR Siliqua ($88)
    09 Julian II - Siliqua.jpg

It's a tad worn and nicked (....and cracked... and pitted...), but for me, this siliqua of Julian still has the goods. Decent strike, details, nice old cabinet toning, and a hammer price that says, "it's too late now, you bought me!" :D. The reverse has black ink markings placed on it by a previous collector... some don't like their coins to have any physical vestiges of prior ownership, but I don't mind this one here at all.

$91 - $100
    BYZANTINE EMPIRE. Heraclius. AR Hexagram ($99)
    10 Byzantine - Heraclius Hexagram.jpg

I hardly ever go down as far as the Byzantine Empire with my collecting, but when I learnt that Heraclius had appropriated the silverware of the church to get enough metal to mint these hexagrams, I just really needed to get one of them. The art on it still looks cartoony to me, but this is a coin with actual historical coolness to its very fabric, and just for that, it beat out all the other coins in its category.

So, I hope you've not all suffered end-of-the-year-list fatigue by now, and that some of you will go ahead and post your $1-$100 coins... I look forward to seeing them!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Curtisimo, seth77, stevex6 and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Excellent group. I really like the siliqua.

4. Orfew

I only have a few that fall into these categories.

51-60
    I really liked the depiction of Romulus and Remus on this denarius of Domitian
    Domitian rom and rem denarius NN.jpg

61-70
    It is not ancient, but I love this coin anyway. It is a Napoleonic 5 Franc piece in nice condition.

Napoleon combined.jpg

81-90
    A gold Napoleon 5 Franc piece. I know it has a cut on the edge but I still love it.
    Napoleon III 5 francs.jpg

91-100
    This nice and rare Trajan Didrachm
    trajan provincial.jpg

5. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

@zumbly good thread idea and coins. I like the previous owner's marks on a few of my coins. I would not want the marks on all of them. I will have to do some work for one of each group, but the first group is easy. I bought 20 mites for $20 = $1 per coin. They make great give-aways to young collectors.
    IMG_3420[1].JPG
    The smiles are much better than the coin pics.

Pishpash, stevex6, dlhill132 and 9 others like this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great idea for a list! You guys are killing me with your lists - every time I log in there are dozen new ones. I can't keep up!!

zumbly, Jwt708, randygeki and 2 others like this.
  7. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

My favorite bang-for-the-buck pieces are the Aksum (Axum) piece ($21-30), Constantius ant ($41-50) and the Gallienus ($1-10). Nice job!

zumbly likes this.
  8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Cool thread!! I really like your series of posts!!!

I'll start with a couple of my least expensive:

AE15 of Demetrios I Poliorketes 306-283 BC., King of Macedonia
    - Macedonian shield with DHR monogram of Demetrios at centre / BA - SI, Macedonian helmet (3.21 grams, 15/14 mm) 294-288 BC., Pella mint, SNG Alpha Bank 969 Newell 132 SNG Cop. 1224, Fine, green patina.
    My cheapest at $14.89;
    MACEDONIAN BRONZE DEMETRIOS.JPG

And the second cheapest at $24.50:
    Billon-Tetradrachm of Nero, year 10 63/64 AD., Alexandria mint in Egypt. Av. rad. head right Rv. bust of Poppaea right quality is very fine weight is 13,33gr. Dattari 196, Milne 217
    nero pop tet alexandria 13.33 grams yr 1- 63-64 ad milne 217.JPG nero pop bil tet dattari 196.JPG

And, my third cheapest at $23.50 and probably my favorite of this price range is:
    Danubian Celtic AR tetradrachm - imitating Philip II of Macedon/ Second-first century BC./ Laureate head of Zeus right / Horse trotting left, wheel above. 8.7grams,/ 24mm/
    celtic tet imitation.JPG celtic tet imitation.JPG reverse.JPG

Curtisimo, Pishpash, stevex6 and 12 others like this.
  9. Valentinian

A Nero/Poppaea at $24.50 is a super deal. What history!

zumbly and Mikey Zee like this.
  10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Two middle range examples:

Denar of Roman Republic T. CARISIVS III VIR, 46 BC., Rome mint. Av. bust of Victory right Rv. Victory in quadriga right quality is about very fine Cr.464/5 weight is 3,79gr. $48.00
    rr carisius victory with a bun.JPG rr carisius victory on both sides.JPG

Silver-Antoninian of Volusianus, 251-253 AD., Rome mint. Av. drap. bust with rad. head right Rv. Salus standing right, feeding snake over patera quality is very fine+ weight is 3,39gr. RIC 184 $57.00
    Volusion Ant, Salus.JPG Volusian Ant, Salus reverse.JPG

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I wanted to post a cheapskate ten favorites this year but my purchases seem to have clustered to the point that I did not buy anything worth having in some brackets and a fistfull in others (lots of $30-39 this year). Of Zumbly's group, I'd say the bargains are the Aksum at $24 and the Apollonia at $68 which is what some pay for the common reverse of these. Excellent group.

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

$1-$10
    Lydia Tralleis 2.jpg
    TRALLES, LYDIA CITY COINAGE
    AE14
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Zeus
    REVERSE: TΡAΛΛIANΩN, humped bull walking left, head facing, ΩΡΠΛT monogram in left field
    Struck at Tralles 200-1 BC
    3.1g, 16 mm
    BMC 63; SNG Munich 702; SNG Tuebingen 3866-3867

$11-$20
    NUMERIUS FABIUS PICTOR.jpg
    NUMERIUS FABIUS PICTOR
    AR DENARIUS
    OBVERSE: Head of Roma right in winged helmet, G below chin, mark of value behind
    REVERSE: N•FABI / PICTOR; The Flamen Quirinalis, Q. Fabius Pictor, seated left; shield at side inscribed QVI/RIN in two lines, ROMA in ex
    Rome, 126 BC
    3.7g, 17mm
    Cr268/1; 1b; Fabia 11; Sydenham 517a

$21-$30
    Larissa.jpg
    THESSALY, LARISSA
    AR Trihemiobol
    OBVERSE: Head of the nymph Larissa right, wearing pendant earring
    REVERSE: ΛAPI above, ΠΛE in exergue, horse right, about to roll
    Struck at Larissa 370-360 BC
    1.4g, 12mm
    BCD Thessaly II 274; Hoover, Volume 4 under "trihemiobols (c. 1.5g)" on page 146, number 474. R2 = Very Rare...3-24 extant examples

$31-$40
    EUBOIA, HISTIAIA.jpg
    EUBOIA, HISTIAIA
    AR Tetrobol
    OBVERSE: Wreathed head of Histiaia right
    REVERSE: ΙΣΤ−ΑΙΕΩΝ (partially retrograde), Nymph seated on galley right; SI below
    Struck at Histiaea, 369-146 BC
    2.23g, 15mm
    BCD 379

$41-$50
    M SERGIUS SILUS.jpg
    M SERGIUS SILUS ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: EX S C ROMA *, head of Roma right
    REVERSE: horseman galloping left with sword & severed head held aloft, Q below horses leg, M SERGI below, SILVS in ex.
    Struck at Rome 116 BC
    3.66g, 18mm
    Syd 534, Cr286/1, Sergia 1

$51-$60
    L JULIUS CAESAR.jpg
    L JULIUS CAESAR ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS JULIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: CAESAR Head of Mars left in crested helmet
    REVERSE: Venus Genettris with scepter, in chariot drawn by two Cupids left, lyre in field, contolmark above, L IVLI L F in ex.
    Struck at Rome, 103BC
    3.85g, 17mm
    Cr320/1, Syd 593a.

$61-$70
    Marcus Aurelius.jpg
    MARCUS ANTHONY RESTITUTION
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: ANTONIVS AVGVR III VIR R P C, Galley left.
    REVERSE: ANTONINVS ET VERVS AVG REST, legionary eagle between two standards, LEG VI between
    Struck at Rome, 168AD
    3.81g, 20mm
    RIC III 443 (Marcus Aurelius) ; BMCRE 500

$71-$80
    Titus 6.jpg
    TITUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M Laureate head of Titus to right
    REVERSE: TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P Wreath on curule chair
    Struck at Rome, January-June 80AD
    3.41g, 19mm
    RIC 108
    Ex JAZ Numismatics

$81-$90
    marcus antonius 12.jpg
    MARCUS ANTONIUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: ANT AVG III VIR R P C, Praetorian galley, thyrsos behind prow
    REVERSE: LEG IX, eagle between standards
    Patrae 32-31 BC
    3.44g, 18.39mm
    RSC 27
    Ex Agora Auctions, Sale 62, Lot 156

$91-above
    Laughing.gif

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Oh, MAN, JW... I am gonna have YOU buy my coins! Awesome coins for AWESOME deals!!! Those are KILLER!

Bing likes this.
  14. zumbly

Way to go with the Nero/Poppaea, @Mikey Zee. I also like the Carisius denarius a lot.

As expected, @Bing is a master at this game. Even more jealous of the L.J. Caesar denarius now! And well, just about everything else on your list.

Bing likes this.
  15. Valentinian

@Bing, the Mark Antony restitution piece was a real steal. Also the Caesar from 103 BC is excellent.

Bing likes this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree with Valentinian's picks.

Bing likes this.
  17. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I'll refrain from making my own thread since I don't have enough to fill each category, but here goes:

$0-$9
    01-JU-Alex' Janaeus-AE-PR-01.jpg
    Judea
    Alexander Janaeus, r. 103-76 B.C.
    AE Prutah, 12.3mm x 0.8 grams
    Obv.: Upside down anchor within circle
    Rev.: Star of eight rays surrounded by a border

Had to make the category start at $0 since this was a gift...

$10-$19
    02-CrLuc-Henry III-AR-D-01.jpg
    Crusader Issue of Lucca
    Henry III-V, r. 1035-1125
    Crude AR Denier, 15.27mm x 1.1 grams
    Obv.: H center, IMPERATOR around
    Rev.: LVCA forming cross, ENRICVS around

Cheapo extra from a coin show

$20-$29
    02-GCaf-Anon-AE-Pul-01.jpg
    Italian States, Genoese Caffa
    1360s?
    AE Pul, 17.29mm x 1.3 grams
    Obv.: Christogram countermark, from Genoese Caffa
    Rev.: ?
    Note: countermarked. Ex Andy Singer

Part of a lot, the way I figured the value of the others, this would fit in the $20 range. If it actually was from the 1360s Caffa (and thus connected to the Black Death as I hope), then this was a steal at the price!

$30-$39
    02-ChNS-Hui Zong-AE-Z10-01.jpg
    Northern Song China
    Hui Zong, r. 1101-1125 (1102-1106)
    AE 10 Cash, 35mm x 10.5 grams
    Obv.: 崇宁重宝 (Chong Ning Zhong Bao)
    Rev.: Blank

A JA special!

$40-$49
    01-R3-Caracalla-AR-DE-03.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Caracalla, r. 198-217 A.D. (203 A.D.)
    Rome Mint, AR Denarius, 20.4mm x 3.21 grams
    Obv.: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right
    Rev.: INDVLGENTIA AVGG, IN CARTH in ex, Dea Caelestis seated facing on lion galloping right over rushing waters, holding thunderbolt and scepter
    Ref.: RIC IV-1 Caracalla 130a, p. 231.

So... I neglected to keep a record of the total amount I paid in this coin. The auction record says I paid $45, but that doesn't account for fees and shipping. It's likely in the 50s or 60s. Well, this can fill in those categories since I don't have anything else there!

$50-$59
    See above

$60-$69
    See above

$70-$79
    05a-FAqu-1152-Henry II-BL-D-2-1a.jpg
    French Feudal, Aquitaine
    Henry II, r. 1152-1168
    BL Denier, 16.57mm x 0.8 grams
    Obv.: +hENRICVS REX, cross pattée
    Rev.: º+º / AQVI / TANI / ºEº, in four lines
    Ref.: AGC 2 (1/a), Duplessy 1030, Roberts 3881, SCBC 8001,
    Ex. R.D. Frederick Collection. Ex. A.H. Baldwin

Had quite a number fit in this range, but this was at the top of my top ten list, so it naturally grabbed this spot.

$80-$89
    Nope

$90-$99
    Nada

Honorable Mention:
    02-IVen-Pietro Ziani-AR-G-01.jpg
    Italian States, Venice
    Pietro Zani, r. 1205-1229
    AR Grosso, 19.79 mm, 1.9 grams
    Obv.: [·+·]P·ZIANI· ·S·M.VENETI outside (Z retrograde), D/U/X down banner held between doge and St. Mark facing
    Rev.: [I¯C] X¯C across field, Christ enthroned facing.

I had several coins I purchased for about 90€ each, including shipping, which pushed the cost up to about $105. This would be the top of the bunch, but was nearly in the $90-99 range

18. Orfew

FitzNigel likes this.
  19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice idea Z...i wouldn't have got into ancients if you couldn't find cool stuff for cheap! there are all sorts of cool coins on this thread aren't there? still kind of shocks me you can find such interesting stuff for so little money. in some ways, i'm kind of glad there aren't many people interested in ancients!

6 out of my top 10 were under 100 dollars, all were under 150...so, i'll just post a few cheapie honorable mentions.

4 bucks...

[​IMG]

under 10 bucks....

[​IMG]

i bought this from JA, i think it was about 20 bucks?

[​IMG]

30 bucks...

[​IMG]

40 something...

[​IMG]

20. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Love the Siliqua; the ones with Julian as Caesar are always scarce.

zumbly likes this.
  21. zumbly

Nice! That Constans Fel Temp for under $10? Sweet!

Draft saved Draft deleted