ANOTHER LADY OF ROME IN MY HOME...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gregarious, May 9, 2017.

1. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

In keeping good company, Augusta Lucilla makes her appearance here to join the other Empress's that grace my collection at number 5. She was the daughter of Marcus Aurelius, wife of Lucius Verus and elder sister of Commodus

Sestertius: Augusta Lucilla Rome mint 161-165 ad.
    Obverse: draped bust right, hair styled and bunned
    Reverse: Goddess Hilaritas holding palm branch and cornucopia
    this is the heaviest and most thick coin in my collection(so far) and has that peculiar mark on the obverse that will always identify it has being specifically this coin:)

FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR COMMENTS AND PICS PEEPS:) Lucilla Sestertius 001.JPG Lucilla Sestertius 002.JPG Lucilla Sestertius 004.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

There is nothing in the world like a big hunk of Roman bronze!

Here is my Denarius of Lucilla:
    [​IMG]

4. gregarious

it is quiet a feeling:)

Jwt708 likes this.
  5. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

And here is my Sestertius:
    [​IMG]

6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Looks like the obverse has damage from farming implements, a fairly common thing for coins dug by metal detectorists in fields, so I wouldn't be surprised if your coin was a metal detector find in some British farm some time in the last decade. Nice coin! I too like large Roman bronzes.

gregarious likes this.
  7. gregarious

it most likely is, but i wonder what method of execution she had done to her.. that mark looks like a garrote to me.

Alegandron and Sallent like this.
  8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Nice one @gregarious. I also have a sestertius of her.
    Lucilla Sestertius.png

9. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

gregarious and Ajax like this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Good portrait on the OP coin even with the mar. I've read that marks like this are caused many times by the metal detectorist themselves when digging for their find.

Lucilla 2.jpg Lucilla 1.jpg

11. gregarious

thanks Bing, its prudy good. yup, that mark looks to be made by something hitting it steady and hard. fortunately it didn't damage it anymore than it did. it will be called "the garrote coin of Lucilla":D

Orfew likes this.
  12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

13. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Cool! Here's my Lucilla sestertius/denarius combo:
    Lucilla.jpg
    Lucilla denarius.jpg

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

VERY nice and COOL Lucilla @gregarious ! Love the garrote!!!

Surprisingly, I have TWO Lucillas! (I usually only get one per portrait, but sometimes I forget that one or two are en route...)

RI Lucilla AR denarius Juno seated  flower child in swaddling clothes Seaby 36.JPG
    RI Lucilla 164-182 CE AR denarius Juno seated flower child in swaddling clothes Seaby 36

RI Lucilla 164-182 CE AR Denarius 18mm 2.8g Rome mint 166-169 CE Pudicitia RIC III 780.JPG
    RI Lucilla 164-182 CE AR Denarius 18mm 2.8g Rome mint 166-169 CE Pudicitia RIC III 780

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice pick-up, @gregarious. Love that caliper shot!

I bought a Lucilla denarius not long ago. The portrait and Pudicitia were both enchanting :)

[​IMG]
    Lucilla
    Empress CE 163-169, wife of Lucius Verus
    AR denarius, 19 mm, 3.25 gm
    Obv: LVCILLA AVGVSTA; draped bust right
    Rev: PVDICITIA; Pudicitia, veiled, standing left, with right hand preparing to draw a veil across her face (or had she just drawn the veil off her face?), left hand at side
    Ref: RIC III 780

16. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here's my HILARITAS sestertius:

Lucilla Hilaritas Sestertius.jpg

17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

SUCH an innocent looking portrait, representing an intriguing-conniving gal! The whole bunch of them were scheming, killing each other, plotting, lusting for power! LOL

18. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Cool addition @gregarious and some real nice coins posted.
    She seems to escape capture everytime I try to add one of her coins.
    Like she has it out for me for some reason.

gregarious likes this.
  19. gregarious

well, she had escaped me several times too, but patience is a virtue friend, she'll come when its time, just keep looking and bidding.

20. gregarious

well, she just wanted to kill her brother><, not that it turned out everybody purdy much wanted him dead too(and DID kill him). so that kinda makes her the tragic heroine that tried, wouldn't you say friend?:)

21. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

She looks kind of like the actress in the movie Gladiator. Commodus sure doesn't, though, no beard. I have no Lucillas in my collection yet.

gregarious likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted