Another Khudarayaka jital

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Jun 24, 2015.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/bh.html

I hesitate to post yet another Shahi jital but my page above mentioned that there were other variations and this is one I lacked. Khudarayaka is the unusual name found on these jitals in place of the more generic Spalapati Deva and Samanta Deva types well covered on my page if anyone cares. This Khudarayaka is different due to the letters 'adl' in front of the rider over the horse's head making it Tye 23.

os7595fd0761hd.jpg

I have noticed recently a number of relatively well centered Khudarakaka jitals offered making me think this variety might be a little easier to find in this condition than some of the more common ones. Not all of these have both ends of both animals on flan. Even fewer seem to have face detail on the rider. I believe a lot of this is strike rather than wear.

For the record, the legend over the bull reads Sri Khu Da Ra Ya Ka with Sri being the title for honorable (perhaps like DN on late Roman?). It is easy to read since the letters look like variously shaped daggars pointing at the bull. By comparison, Spalapati Deva has what I call a can opener over the hump of the bull.
    os6750bb2553.jpg

...and Samanta Deva has two boxey '4' like letters following the Sri that begins each of the legends. Sure it would be better to learn all the letters found on the coins but opener, 44 and daggar is easier.
    os7034bb2708.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

What a name... nice write up Doug and comparisons, I'll give yer' link a read soon. :)

wmichael likes this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

very cool addition, Doug

Man, I can't remember if I have an example, or not? (uh-oh ... my mind is slipping)

=> what year are these babies?

... looks like 800-ish AD (nope, no thread-additions here)

:(

*want-list*

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice writeup, thank you.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice additions, Doug.

Still like mine alot.
    [​IMG]
    Samanta Deva (800 - 1000 A.D.)
    India, Medieval Shahis
    AR Jital
    O: Recumbent zebu left; star, pellet, and upside-down crescent to left.
    R: Horseman right, holding banner.
    Kabul Mint
    3.3g
    18mm
    Tye 14

Okidoki, Gil-galad, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

'least it ain't a Kardashian........

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

awesome!

i've got a "type 23", i didn't know what it was until DS pointed it out to me....

[​IMG]

i remember you saying you wanted one of the type doug..glad u got one. very nice.... great obverse legend!

Okidoki, Gil-galad, Orfew and 2 others like this.
  9. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Did Picasso design these?

:)

10. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Nice set of these. Thanks for bringing these into attention once in a while !
    One small addition; You say the legend reads "Sri KhuDaRaYaKa". Because of the two dots after the Ka character it should probably be read as "Sri KhuDaRaYaKaH".

Ancientnoob likes this.
  11. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

What is the meaning of the :H?

13. THCoins

The ":" is a "Visarga". It is a vowel modifier. It changes the way the preceeding character sounds. Instead of a short explosive "Ka" it becomes "Kahhh.." where you continue to exhale, so letting the A sound end into a voiceless H.

Okidoki likes this.
  14. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

I love these coins. The art is marvelous. Dang it! Now I have to go buy a camera at WM to show mine.

15. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

OK, went WM. My first attempt at getting photos on here. First is large thin planket, second, small thick. I didn't know there were different types. Now I wish I had bought all the fellow had. He only wanted melt for them. DSC00011.JPG DSC00013.JPG DSC00014.JPG DSC00017.JPG

stevex6, TIF, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  16. THCoins

For a first photo attempt these are great !
    Both of your coins are Samanta Deva types. The first Tye#14, the second Tye#21.
    Coins with this basic design were produced for over 400 years. So indeed there are a lot of types. And usually even the rare ones are quite cheap.

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The first one is Samanta Deva and should be 69% silver and about 3.3g. The second one is missing a lot of detail but is a Tye 21. Unfortunately Type gives the alloy as ?% but most of the ones that look silver are probably close to the 69%. There are later, thicker ones he rates at 18% but I'd buy the bunch at melt if available.

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I might mention that my first exposure to this was a huge box with at least a thousand coins offered at $5 each. I bought nice ones of the common ones and any that seemed different which provided a couple Tye 3. That means that well over 970 struck me as junkers not worth $5. These things were produced with little care. Your first one is very nice.

19. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

These too came from a junk box of ancient coins, but alot of different kinds. I guess I took 30 or so. Silver $2 copper .50. But this was 15 plus years ago, and I'm just now getting to look at them. Is that called an investment?

20. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I haven't seen any decent examples of any of these types for less than $15 apiece, so I would say you did very well paying $2.

21. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

2 bucks a pop? dang that's awesome.

that first one is excellent!

Draft saved Draft deleted