Another interesting auction result...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Mar 8, 2019.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

BeCauSe tONeD PeaCE DollARs aRe RArE!!!!

(For those that do not know, this is the millennial version of expressing sarcasm via text)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robec

robec Junior Member

CAC disregards + grades. They grade a 64+ as a 64. They also have 3 graders. It’s quite possible a different grader saw the dollar the second time through.

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

I have heard that the plus is disregarded and the different graders seeing it is quite possible.

Still it’s interesting that it was a QC coin-and one that many still think is AT.

Also, if different people at CAC have different standards, isn’t that a potential issue? I hear a lot of people praise JA and associate the sticker with his approval. If someone else at CAC has a different opinion than JA and that influences whether or not a coin gets a sticker, then what?

EyeAppealingCoins likes this.
  5. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

I'd say yes, that is definitely an issue!

ddddd likes this.
  6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Well even PCGS thought it was AT...until they didn't.

7. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

It sounds like a fun experiment. If you can replicate it, post a video of the coin with a distinct mark to identify it and submit it until it stickers/straight grades at PCGS. Post it in a thread here. I'm sure someone from the PCGS Forums will pick up on it and disseminate it over there.

8. GoldBug999

This might be off-topic, but, does anyone know if there is technology either being used or could be used to take precise photos/measurements of coins and be able to track them or recognize them as a specific coin, assuming it wasn't altered?

That would be a way for PCGS, NGC, CAC, et al to possibly prevent the merry-go-round this Peace Dollar has been on.

9. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Man, that coin has seen a lot of plastic.
    Next up, MS65 and CAC Gold lol.

10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

As many mistakes and inconsistencies that get through PCGS, I really doubt that 3 graders actually look at each coin.

I was under the impression that JA looked at all of the coins himself. The 3 graders is in reference to PCGS/NGC

11. robec

robec Junior Member

Just repeating what I was told about a month ago concerning CAC. Bill Shamhart was one of the graders named.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  12. ddddd

ddddd Member

While it might be possible, the TPGs would not really want to use that technology. It would eliminate resubmissions (revenue) and anger the dealers that make money on upgrades (which would again lower revenue for the TPGs).

13. GoldBug999

Great point! No incentive whatsoever!

ddddd likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

While the technology wasn't quite ready, the idea for consistent grading (no resubmissions) was already in place in the early 1990s when Compugrade came onto the scene.

Take a look at the ad below, especially the part about the fingerprinting system.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12253413
    [​IMG]

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Last time I checked, the patents of such comparison, grading devices were owned or controlled by various TPG companies. They tend to buy or sue any similar patent that has found something new for accuracy in grading and future recognition including color. IMO. Jim

16. GoldBug999

That's fascinating - thanks for bringing up to speed on that!

17. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

18. ddddd

ddddd Member

Succinct and to the point! :D

Razz and ron_c like this.
  19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

PCGS has had that capability since 1991, but they didn't use it. They reintroduced it when they started the Secure Shield. So in theory they SHOULD have identified that Peace dollar as having been submitted and graded as an AU details before and not have been given the 64 or 64+ grades. So either their "digital fingerprinting" of the coins doesn't work, or for some reason they overrode it.

Hookman likes this.
  20. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

There were over 600 silver dollars in the group that were all flood damaged in some way. All were soaked for days in CLR, many were dipped and/or soaked in Tarn-X, many soaked in acetone, all soaked in a pine sol type cleaner, and other chemicals. I was hoping the dealer knew what he used in what order. He did say that he had some copper coins in the CLR at times 20190315_180338.jpg 20190315_180355_001.jpg 20190315_180408_001.jpg 20190315_180441.jpg 20190315_180450.jpg 20190315_180738.jpg 20190315_180742.jpg 20190315_180723.jpg 20190315_180714.jpg 20190315_180746.jpg which may account for the golden toning. There was paint, rust, chemical corrosion, vehicle oils and grease and batteries acid and other material that settled on the coins. Oh, and plenty of mud. Many of the coins were in albums during the flood and the paper was still stuck to them. Most of the coins were sold to a Northeastern PA bullion dealer at the February coin show in Pittston, PA. I do know the golden toned ones were in CLR with copper pennies. I kept about 2 dozen to use in talks at our local coin club meetings about artificial toning. If you go to the Legend Coin auction for the 1924 MS-64 and right click on the obverse image and open in a new tab and then enlarge the image, you will see many problems with the coin. Do the same with the reverse and enlarge and you will see the chemical damage near the words United States Of America. Enlarge "States Of" and the damage is more prevalent. Just think PCGS got it right with Questionable Toning. Then they changed their mind. Hmm, buy the coin, not the Holder. I would enjoy doing a forensic diagnostic analysis on this coin in hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted