Another interesting auction result...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Mar 8, 2019.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

This 1925 Peace Dollar was discussed in the AT/NT thread. The majority of those who opined went with AT (5-2).

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/th...ial-questionable-toning-thread.326881/page-30

It was originally an MS 64 and sold in June 2018 for $4,331.25 with the buyer’s fee.
    Later (January 2019) it appeared at Legend in an MS 64+ holder with a green sticker. There it realized $9,106.25 with the buyer’s fee.

The person who sold it as a 64 mentioned that it failed to sticker in the 64 holder.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/581700/1925-Peace-Silver-Dollar-PCGS-MS-64-Toned

https://legendauctions.hibid.com/lot/47238222/-1-1925-pcgs-ms64--cac?q=1925

BC134F2E-A8CE-40B3-89A8-E9C8F00B6C20.jpeg DA9025EB-CF31-40A0-80C2-2D20A6827FFF.jpeg 125E82CA-2C47-4569-A3BB-8F2867FB1F61.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Personally, I don't see the draw on that coin at all, to me the toning is ugly. :phantom: Why did it sell for so much money? :D

5. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

No, but it does change my opinion about CAC. The coin is blatant AT.

dwhiz, Cheech9712, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  6. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I'm often reminded of one of my favorite sayings " Some people have more money than brains. "

dwhiz, Cheech9712 and Bob Evancho like this.
  7. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Has this been posted on the PCGS forum? I hear those guys love a good CAC discussion:troll:

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

I recently received some silver dollars similar to this one that were in a flood and soaked in CLR and other chemicals. They look much like the reverse of this coin including the black environmental or chemical issue. I enlarged the photos and notice that this toning ?????, if you want to call it that, is hiding a multitude of problems, bag marks, scratches and other issues. I talked to dealers who do their own toning to cover up issues. I viewed an 1893-S Morgan Saturday in a PCGS holder VF-35, purchased at the Baltimore coin show, that was toned to hide deep scratch marks adjacent to the neck. In my opinion the grade should never have been VF-35 either. I'm sure someone said "a sucker is born every second" or "some people have more money than brains". I rate the obverse and reverse of this coin one of the ugliest toned coins I have seen. Just my opinion. Buy a coin for eye appeal, not the holder.

dwhiz, Hookman and Paul M. like this.
  9. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

This is what I said about it then and I'll stick with it.

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

AT or not, somebody sure paid a lot of money for a really ugly coin.

11. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Let me get this straight. CAC wouldn't sticker this coin in MS64, but did when it went to MS64+.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  12. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Don't understand the grade. Perhaps I need to re-evaluate my collection of Peaces.

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Considering the lousy strikes of the Peace series, good luck!

14. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm gathering that.

15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

You got that right! Not only does it look AT but it's also ugly to boot! :D My guess is it was a rich man's buy! Sometimes, you'll see them at coin shows showing the world that they have money and tossing it around like it ain't nuttin! :D th_4.gif

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Peace dollar toning usually is considered ugly by Morgan toning standards. They tone in a different way and much less frequently

Paul M. and CamaroDMD like this.
  17. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

My, that is a nasty looking coin!

18. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

That is butt ugly! Wonder who applied the bean,...I mean,...you know....:smuggrin::(:eek:

19. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

The toning patterns tend to be different, and Peace Dollars tone less frequently to be sure. I don't agree that Peace Dollar toning is usually considered ugly by Morgan standards. There are plenty of ugly Morgans out there too, and there are also very, very attractive Peace Dollars too. (This one is ugly - I can agree on that.)

Paul M. likes this.
  20. ddddd

ddddd Member

One other development courtesy of a poster from the CU forum.

This coin spent some time in a QC holder as well.

For those following, the path was:
    QC->64 (failed CAC)->64+ (CAC Green)

6D20238E-8005-4E9A-A7B0-2CAF7175CBF2.jpeg

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/34974191

21. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

Bob do you have some pictures of these coins we can see?

Draft saved Draft deleted