Another hut

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Mar 27, 2015.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Being realistic about my addiction, I seem to buy any FEL TEMP that I don't have and that is in reasonably attractive condition and reasonably priced for the grade. I wish I could have a more high minded game plan but that just isn't the case. This one has a bit thick patina in the center of the reverse which could be smoothed out at the risk of making an ugly spot so I'll leave it alone. I don't have as many Aquileia mint coins as some mints but that is just a rationalization. I would have bought any mint I did not have. The chart on page 47 of Bruck says this is Aquileia just in case you can't read the AQS. mintmark. Bruck lists 20 coins as a 'mint' set (13 Constans, 7 ConstantiusII). I now have 10 and 3. I also like the globe and hand on the obverse here.
    rx6038bb3235.jpg

dlhill132, Bojan, Aidan_() and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I would gladly add this to my collection. A lot of good detail on both sides.

I have one from Antioch in rather poor condition:
    Constans15.jpg
    CONSTANS AE2
    OBVERSE: D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand
    REVERSE: FEL TEMP REPA-RATIO,
    Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points downwards, between the soldier's legs. ANGamma in ex
    Struck at Antioch 348-350 AD
    3.5g, 21mm
    RIC VIII 126

dlhill132, Bojan, Gil-galad and 9 others like this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Fantastic examples, fellas (sweet OP coin, Doug)

I don't have one of those creepy hut-coins, "yet" (wish list)

Ancientnoob likes this.
  5. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Hi Doug,

Exellent coin love the patina
    Keep em comming.

Cheers,

Eric

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's a lovely coin, and I've never seen a bolder Aquileia mint mark. I like this type very much, and I'd like to acquire a few varieties from various mints. For the time being I can only add my Antioch example, which everyone has seen too often...

constans.jpg

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I'm missing any example of that reverse as well....Dang, another item to add to my 'want' list and I'm already blowing through April budget and it's only March 27th!!

I really LIKE that reverse!!! Like Bings; Love Dougs coin; and I'm head over heels in love with the one JA posted!!

Okidoki and John Anthony like this.
  8. Bing

Hey! I only get a like. Once again, only the brides maid, never the bride. An also ran example. Bummer (only kidding Mikey)

Okidoki, stevex6 and Mikey Zee like this.
  9. Mikey Zee

:DI have reached my 'quota' for LOVING the vast amount of coins you have been posting...I don't want you to get big-headed on me Bing LOL

stevex6 and Bing like this.
  10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Here's a random selection of my Constans types, just because I have nothing better to do.

constans typeset.jpg

dlhill132, Bojan, Aidan_() and 10 others like this.
  11. Mikey Zee

Terrific selections!!!! ...all so attractive and full of eye appeal with all the varied reverses and assorted patinas.

John Anthony likes this.
  12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice hut! the hut type is on my list.

neat how on DS coin the "captive" or whatever he is appears to be an adult hunched over, and on bings and JAs, it appear to be a kid.

Bojan likes this.
  13. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Failmezger's book says different mints have different types of trees overhanging the hut. Here is one from Constantinople:

ConstansHutCONSH.jpg
    22 mm. 4.71 grams. RIC VIII Constantinople 86.

14. Mikey Zee

Valentinian, that's about as perfect a coin as I've ever seen!! It has everything you could want or hope for!!

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Bruck offers a drawing of each type but shows two for Constantinople. My coin is not nearly as nice but it is the other tree which lacks the fork and stubby branch by the TE of TEMP as shown on Valentinian's coin. My leaves are more narrow. My coin is the specimen used in Failmezger plate 35 #410iCS which was a typo since the coin is of Constans.
    rx6180bb2218.jpg

Bruck's drawing for Valentinian's type is labeled HER/CONS suggesting the style was used also at Heraclea. These three Heraclea coins show more variation in the leaves than I would like but all do show the stubby extra branch. Some are less stubby than others. Forcing various dies into the drawings was not always easy. He shows 15 drawings for the 13 mints. Many Heraclea coins have rather less clear leaves than some mints. That explains why I felt the need to have three of these.
    rx6160bb2185.jpg rx6170bb2268.jpg rx6175bb0643.jpg
    The middle (brown) coin above is Failmezger plate 35 #410hCN. The other 410hCN was Tory's coin and shows thinner and more separate leaves more like Valentinian's Constantinople. In his notes 92 and 224, Failmezger says that each of the 15 mints used a different tree but he only lists and illustrates the 13 from Bruck. Between us, we had a full set. He lists more mints for Constantius than Bruck did but I have not researched this to be sure that I agree with the extras. Amiens and Sirmium were not open when huts were issued so 13 should be the correct count of mints. I'm sure I'd like to spend today researching this but I think I'll go to the coin show in Baltimore instead. An opportunity to buy coins outranks education for shallow people like me. :bookworm:

16. Mikey Zee

Fantastic coins Doug---and, as usual, a terrific narrative!!!

if you pick up 'bargains' at Baltimore, I know of at least one old guy in New York
    who is not too proud to take charity LOL

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Doug => good luck coin-hunting at the Baltimore show (I love seeing your slick purchases ... can't wait)

18. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

This "hut" type was issued by Constantius II as well as Constans, but so far all the examples we have seen have been Constans. Will anyone show us a Constantius II hut?

19. Bing

I don't have one.

20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great addition Doug. I Have only one, I only have a few temps oth r than FHs

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I only have three of the seven mints for Constantius II. The type was favored for Constans. Constantius II used other reverses more frequently for the middle denomination coins. Below are Aquileia, two Romes and a Thessalonika.

rx6375bb2997.jpg 0bb3244.jpg rx6405bb3231.jpg rx6580bb2124.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted