Another head scratcher

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by archicard, May 26, 2015.

1. archicard

archicard Member

So once again I seem to have reached a dead end in my research, but I know that someone here will get me on track to attributing this humble Roman provincial coin. We got it because my daughter liked the miniature bust at the right of the larger bust. It was labeled as Severus Alexander, but I suspect that it may be earlier. My hunch is Augustus or Nero.

The coin is 21mm and weighs 6.8g. (My photography does not do this coin justice, it is much better looking in hand). Any ideas would be appreciated. jugate.jpg

chrsmat71 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I have a somewhat similar coin from Arados but the large deity head + small emperor head but all of these Arados examples have bulls on the reverse, as far as I can tell.

[​IMG]
    PHOENICIA, Arados
    Trajan. CE 98-117

CY 375 (CE 116/7)
    Æ22, 9.65 g
    Obv: draped bust of Astarte-Europa right; before, small laureate and draped bust of Trajan
    Rev: bull charging left
    Reference: SNG Copenhagen 81; BMC 374

I agree that the portraits look earlier, perhaps Augustus, Tiberius, Nero, or Trajan.

A very quick pass through those emperors' provincials on Wildwinds didn't show a match. I'll continue looking through other databases tonight if no one else has identified it.

archicard and chrsmat71 like this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

It should be Kingdom of Thrace, Rhoemetalces I with head of the King on obverse and head of Augustus on reverse. The small bust on the obverse is described as a bust of Kotys IV (Cotys IV).

Like this or similar to it:
    http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=14531

beef1020, archicard and TIF like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice job, Z!

archicard likes this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

archicard and TIF like this.
  7. archicard

archicard Member

Thanks Zumbly, that certainly looks close. It's interesting to learn that the "micro bust" is the former ruler Kotys IV. I was thinking that it might be a nod to a child that had yet to attain full bust status.

:) (Did I really just type "full bust"?)

zumbly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted