Another Gordian III and Tranquillina marriage commemorative!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Post anything you feel is relevant!

I can't get enough of these Gordy and Tranquillina marriage issues. This one was a steal! It's got Nemesis, too. I've developed an interest in that goddess lately. I like how the celator ran out of room for the reverse inscription and continued it vertically in the right field:

Gordian III and Tranquillina Marcianopolis Nemesis.jpg
    Gordian III, AD 238-244, and Tranquillina, AD 241-244
    Roman provincial Æ pentassarion, 12.34 g, 26.2 mm, 2 h
    Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis, legate Tertullius, AD 243-244
    Obv: ΑVΤ Κ Μ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC ΑVΓ CЄΒ ΤΡΑΝΚVΛ-ΛЄΙΝΑ, confronted busts
    Rev: VΠ ΤΕΡΤVΛΛΙΑΝΟC ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛI-ΤΩΝ, Nemesis-Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae; wheel at feet; E in field, left
    Refs: Varbanov 2052; Moushmov 834; AMNG (Pick) 1185; SNG Cop 260.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice one @Roman Collector

Gordian III 8 a.jpg
    GORDIAN III
    AE26
    OBVERSE: ΑΥΤ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡ∆ΙΑΝΟC ΑΥΓ ΤΡΑΝΚΥΛ/ΛΙΝΑ, confronted busts of Gordian III and Tranquillina
    REVERSE: ΟΥΛΠΙΑΝΩΝ ΓΧΙΑΛΕ/ΩΝ, Tyche or Homonoia standing left wearing modius, patera in right, cornucopia in left
    Struck at Anchialus, Thrace, 238-244 AD
    12.44g, 26mm
    AMNG II 675
    Gordian III 2.jpg
    GORDIAN III
    AE 25/26
    OBVERSE: AVT K M ANT GORDIANOC AVG CAB CEB TPANKVLEINA, draped busts face to face
    REVERSE: OVLPIANWN AGCIALEWN, Zeus standing left, naked to waist, holding thunderbolt and sceptre
    Struck at THRACE , Anchialos, 238-244AD
    9.7g, 25mm
    Moushmov 2945; Varbanov 740-741

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin Roman Collector, with fantastic detail especially the reverse, good catch.

6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Very neat... that has to be the earliest depiction of bubblegum blowing on a coin :p.

00Bubble.jpg

00bubblegum blowing.jpg

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's a winner!! The syncretic Nemesis is a nice bonus :)

Roman Collector likes this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I really like that new one. The various ways they fit in the long legends fascinates me. My similar coin ran out of space one letter sooner and had to use omega nu as a ligate pair to finish in the space available. My Nemesis carries different attributes so the space available was different. I do not own the catalog on these so I do not know what he had to say or the numbers.
    po2160bb1881.jpg

9. Roman Collector

That's a lovely coin, @dougsmit . My favorite catalog for these issues is Behrendt Pick's Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands, Vol. 1: Dacien und Moesien (a.k.a. AMNG), available as an inexpensive reprint at amazon or online here (part a) and here (part b). It lists three different reverse dies for yours which divide up the reverse inscription in various ways so as to fit it all on the coin:

Capture.JPG

The common device on three reverses is described in the listing for 1181 as (my translation): "Nemesis standing left; in the outstretched right hand, a short rod; in the lowered left hand, a bridle; on the ground, a wheel; in left field, E." Two variants of the obverse are used between these three reverse dies: for 1181 and 1182, the obverse as described in the listing for 1173; for 1183, the obverse as described in the listing for 1177.

Yours is 1182. Three specimens are cited for this one: one in the museum in Bucharest, one in Imhoof's collection measuring 28 mm and weighing 10.10 g, and one in the Paris collection. Imhoof was Pick's co-author.

Capture 2.JPG

This is the listing for 1173, which describes the obverse die used for your coin:

Capture 3.JPG

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    TIF, zumbly and Alegandron like this.
  10. Roman Collector

For the majority of issues in AMNG, the obverse type described probably corresponds to a single die, as this examination of the listing for my coin demonstrates:

Capture.JPG

Note how the catalog describes the block-like C in ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC and the V-Γ tie which follows. Note how it demonstrates the curved epsilons in CЄΒ and ΛЄΙΝΑ and how it notes the break in the empress's name as ΤΡΑΝΚVΛ-ΛЄΙΝΑ. On the reverse, it describes the vertically oriented ΤΩΝ in the right field. The description of the reverse reads (again, my translation): "Nemesis-Aequitas standing left; in the right hand, a scale; in left arm, a cornucopiae; on the ground, a wheel; in left field, E." It cites the specimen in Berlin, a bronze 28 mm in diameter and weighing 11.21 g.

Here's my coin again for easy comparison to the catalog listing:

Gordian III and Tranquillina Marcianopolis Nemesis.jpg
    Pick's reference is a MUST for collectors of provincial cities from the Balkans.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    TIF, zumbly, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted