Another good example of MD...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jeff Callahan, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Jeff Callahan

Jeff Callahan Active Member

I had a really hard time learning this one. I posted another example of this before and I really feel like it may help others to see this. So, here are a few shots of some Machine Doubling, from a 1995 P Lincoln Cent this time. I hope they can help someone.

Also... @SensibleSal66 sent me this link once and it really helped me. Thank you Sal!!!

Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties (doubleddie.com)

It is a somewhat lengthy article, which put me off at first because it was late and I was tired, however, it is very informative. I recommend to anyone who is just starting out in Numismatics and interested in variety coins read this article! It really is worth your time!

Here some other very helpful links that other members have sent me...

https://www.money.org/basics-coin-collectors-should-know
    http://www.error-ref.com/
    https://en.numista.com/
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts

There are many more resources out there for you. Just use your search engine to find them.

I have to say that I was stubborn about doing the research and that fact is probably the most detrimental thing I did when first starting this hobby.

Anyway, if there is anything I can do to help, it is to point you to the other members who know their stuff. The ones from CoinTalk that have really helped me! Just ask and ye shall receive. I know that any one of them would be happy to help you in this new adventure. Thanks and good luck to you all!

Still001.jpg Still002.jpg Still003.jpg Still004.jpg Still005.jpg Still006.jpg Still007.jpg

expat, SensibleSal66 and Sley like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Very dramatic

Jeff Callahan likes this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

We've an old saying in this joint, first buy the book, then buy the coin...

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Nice job Jeff. ;)

6. Jeff Callahan

Yes @Kentucky, I worked hard on this post. I find myself becoming more and more passionate about Numismatics as each day passes. I only hope I am fortunate enough to continue to learn about it for many more years.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Jeff Callahan

I can't remember who it was, but another member sent me this link too. It is a really good video showing how coins are made at the Philadelphia Mint. It really helped me to think about what process each coin I am viewing went through to become an official US Coin, as well as the other things that have to happen to strike the once blank, worthless planchet, turning it into a work of art to be held and viewed by people many years later. Knowing that process seemed to help me to more quickly understand an error and how it may have happened during the manufacturing of the coin and to associate what I was seeing with either Mechanical Doubling, Die Deterioration Doubling, or Abrasion Doubling. It does take some real interest on your part, not just a way of selling some coins for a profit, but to really appreciate the history of something that was meant to withstand time and the elements... yeah, most who read this will automatically think of the Zincoln, anyway, if you are interested, here is a link to the video. I hope it helps someone else like it did me. Sorry about the length of this post. It is the passion I guess.

US Quarter Minting Process

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You are correct and that's a nice example

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

That meant I liked it.

Draft saved Draft deleted