Another Family of Counterfeits- 1818 B-10 Source

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jack D. Young, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

The 1818 B-10 capped bust quarter is another of the varieties picked by the counterfeiters to spawn a family of fakes.

The 1st image is of a genuine example courtesy PCGS; the die scratch from the 2nd star aids in identifying this obverse.

30581584_99283250_Max_B-10.jpg
    The next images are of a genuine example and a Chinese counterfeit (guess which one is which?); I highlighted some "dings" and marks on the reverse that are clues going forward (images courtesy TypeCoin971793)!

1818-obvs.jpg
    1818-revs.jpg
    From there the counterfeiters made an accurate die and created another "family of fakes" adding different dates to the obverse dies (and some matching reverse marks).

1821.jpg
    1824-combo.jpg
    And today I found my 1st "1825" example on the "Bay"; listing was removed after being reported. Seller did mark "COPY" on the reverse but is still against listing policy there.

1825.jpg
    I can't look at a B-10 the same going forward!

Best, Jack.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Ouch

4. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Jack D. Young likes this.
  5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Thanks for your post, Jack. I am starting to collect busted half (have 3 slabbed pieces), and it's good to know what counterfeit types are out there.

6. Jack D. Young

Thanks for a previous post by TypeCoin971793 there is an 1823 version to add to the family...

1823-combo.jpg

Johndoe2000$ and longshot like this.
  7. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Very good post! I am thankful that this is all the better the counterfeiters have managed to produce so far (at least that we know of), because if you are very familiar with the series, you can pick these out almost instantly. As you mentioned, that spike on star 2 only appears on 1818 B-8, B-9, and B-10, so if that spike appears on any other date, it’s a fake. They also failed to use correct numerals in the date, which seems par for the course for this type of fake.

ripple, CircCam and Jack D. Young like this.
  8. Jack D. Young

Thanks for the note NSP; I still think it takes one well versed in the series to pick these out. New collectors may not pick them up as readily as experienced collectors. I consider these and the other "family" counterfeits (1804 "C-6 half cent" and 1833 "N-5 large cent" included) a middle level of deceptive fakes but we know there is a higher level out there that also test experts.

ripple, furham and NSP like this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Something else to watch for will be the counterfeit rev paired with an obverse NOT made from the 18 B-10 hub. I don't know if they exist but it is possible.

Mainebill and Jack D. Young like this.
  10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Thanks for posting. Yet another scary one to watch for

11. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Thanks for another great post Jack. People like you are helping save this hobby.

12. Jack D. Young

Thanks for all of the responses to this post!

Best, Jack.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. Jim Robinson

Jim Robinson Member

Great work Jack! Thanks

14. I say we boycott ALL Chinese products completely. They constantly steal our jobs, products, and technology then make cheap replicas and sell them back to us as originals! I bet 90% of the stuff in the average American home says "made in China" somewhere on it. Our coinage is a huge part of our heritage and pride and these Chinese fakes makes me want to burn that country to the ground

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Calm down

16. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Whats your opinion on Chinese food

17. Jack D. Young

Thank you- just trying to get the word out as we document these.

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

In a restaurant, great. As groceries, I avoid it...although I often buy Vietnamese and Turkish made foodstuffs

Draft saved Draft deleted