Another fake on Ebay

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Smojo, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ancient-Roman-Bronze-AE3-Coin-Constantinus-Chlorus/282116233170?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=333008&algo=RIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140122152441&meid=01ffe26ec47341a6a2a9a4adba2d4c90&pid=100011&rk=6&rkt=10&sd=401156780069
    s-l400 (7).jpg
    Saw this on Ebay. A fake so obvious. I've never tried to copy a link to post on another post so if this goes wrong I apologize up front.
    With all the fakes going around thought I'd share this. When I saw the the photo I thought how rediculous. The long neck & cartoon looking bust made me look at the listing.

stevex6 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Looks ok to me, except that it Constantius Gallus not Chlorus.

4. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

This is definitely Gallus, who lived around five decades after Chlorus.

5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Really, never saw one quite so cartoonish as this is.
    My bad then. I showed pic to an associate that's been collecting way longer than me. Thought he was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard. I assumed he was laughing at the coin but could've been laughing at me, just didn't have the heart to tell me I was being a dumb butt.

OK I asked to pull the post.
    Now gonna call my friend & ask him why he didn't just tell me I was wrong.

coin_nut likes this.
  6. Pishpash

I wouldn't have pulled the post. It is educational. I have mistaken many coins and I still do! There are a lot of cartoonish portraits out there. Don't worry about it. You are new to this, you have a long way to go, but most of it will be fun :D

7. Pishpash

And there are some REALLY long necks out there....... Some portraits of Claudius make him look like a giraffe....

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Yeah I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong. I think I've been doing ancients around 2 or 3 months now but not new to coins.
    Sure I'll be wrong about something else before I go to sleep tonight.

9. Pishpash

I have been doing it for just over 3 years, I am still a baby in this hobby. You learn more from your mistakes, so don't worry about it. You will learn loads from this forum. We have all been where you are now.

Smojo and stevex6 like this.
  10. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Authentic or fake, I'm not sure I could stand looking at that piece in my collection.
    Steve

Ancientnoob likes this.
  11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

IKR, I like some off the wall stuff but not sure I'd add something quite like this to my want list. I broke into some of my world coins earlier this week, had one upside down didn't realize it looking under a loupe could've swore I saw an elephant on a U.S. coin. Man its been a long week.

12. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Yeah, common LRBs in the shape of that in the OP aren't very appealing in general. But when you find them in very nice condition its a different story:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

These can be quite cartoonish.

Constantius Gallus - AE3

Obv:– DN CONSTANTIVS IVN NOB C, Bare, bust draped and cuirassed right
    Rev:– FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Soldier spearing fallen horseman, who is wearing Phrygian helmet, reading backwards
    Minted in Siscia (// GSIS), A.D. 351-355
    Reference:– RIC VIII Sisica 351

[​IMG]

stevex6, dlhill132, icerain and 7 others like this.
  14. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Ironically Constantius Gallus was described as looking very handsome with his flowing blond hair and piercing blue eyes. Though I agree, save your money on a better looking coin.
    He is a copy of a contemporary image of him.
    From the Chronography of 354
    Chronography_354_gallus_caesar.png

Smojo and Pishpash like this.
  15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

You get to the second half of the fourth century and a lot of the portraits look cartoonish.

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I actually love the cartoony-types ... but my favs are when they venture into the barbarous types (Mentor/dougsmit has some very cool/funny examples)

... I only have one average lookin' example ...

Constantius-II

Barbarous Constantius II.jpg

Oh, but I also have this fairly amusing example ... I call this coin "NANCY" from the comics

Magnentius
    Magnentius AE Centenionalis Large Chi-Rho.jpg

Nancy.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Steve, it took me awhile to figure out what your Magnentius was missing. I hope you don't mind me fixing it for you :D.

upload_2016-7-29_22-6-22.jpeg

[​IMG]

dlhill132, Theodosius, TIF and 6 others like this.
  18. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

Why fake a $5 coin.

stevex6 likes this.
  19. Stevearino

Tourist shop outlet?

Steve

20. Stevearino

At $5 it would still be a hell of a markup.

Steve

21. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

The coin appears to me to have been overly cleaned, perhaps with a sand blaster?

I saw it on ebay yesterday and did not add it to my watch list nor make a bid...

Draft saved Draft deleted