Another fake FTR

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Feb 25, 2019.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

This one just popped up again:

s-l1600.jpg

I contacted the seller with related info and he pulled it immediately.

It's one that pops up a lot and worth remembering (as well as the phoenix ftr)
    Project2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

You're the one who would know Randy!

randygeki likes this.
  5. alde

alde Always Learning

Thanks for helping to keep the coin world honest @randygeki.

randygeki likes this.
  6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

7. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Randy, this is one area that you obviously have expertise, thanks for posting these duds ;). Where are these fakes being offered for sale ? Do you know where they are being made & what they are selling for ? It seems improbable that the people hustling these fakes would be selling them one at a time to make any money o_O. Are contrived hoards of these coins being offered to dealers ?

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I guess they are Serbian fakes. This last one was listed from a UK dealer that ships from eastern Europe. I see a lot from German sellers, also from a certain vcoins dealer (took a lot of effort to get them removed)

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/fakes2009.htm

Alegandron likes this.
  9. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Back in 2009 there appears to have been a set of dies created to manufacture a whole range of fakes. The route for these into the market was various. Several were offered to dealers as "hoards". Large numbers were being sold in batches as "uncleaned from a hoard". Many others were sold in small numbers as "uncleaned" individual coins. Yet more were seeded into uncleaned coin batches to flesh them out and make them appear more appealing.

Here is an image of some "premium uncleaned" from the time

[​IMG]
    more uncleaned
    [​IMG]
    These dies were used to create impossible combinations too. I created a montage showing some of the die links apparent from the offerings of a single seller.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted