Another eBay Scammer

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by vintagemintage, May 3, 2016.

1. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Based on this person's previous and current items for sale, I don't think this is a scam listing so much as someone who's ignorant about coins. I did report the "MS70" listing though because I wouldn't want anyone to get stuck with it.

slackaction1 likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I don't see what the scam is here. He said INB graded it as a MS 70, they're a joke but they did. He's not trying to pass it off as anything but what it is

5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

INB is not a authorized grading service, so it must be raw and per eBay rules you can't quote or show the grade.

vintagemintage and Santinidollar like this.
  6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

At $40 open with no bidders and only 8hrs to go it's not fooling anybody. Heck, that knife fight cut on ikes face is so large it needs stitches!

7. vintagemintage

Check out the logo on the lower left corner of the holder, it's a Coin Word holder available to anyone online. Either he's scamming or he's already been scammed

Paul M. likes this.
  8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That's why INB is a joke. They use Coin World slabs, just like all the other kitchen-table TPG's.

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Well, no one fell for it -- at least on that round.

10. baseball21

Yea its a nonsense basement slabber, but that is what the seller is selling it as. There is a difference between scamming and selling overpriced junk.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. vintagemintage

Mis-representing overpriced junk is scamming

12. baseball21

He represented it as exactly as it is. INB doesn't mean anything, but it IS an INB 70. Its a listing for junk, not a scam

Paul M. likes this.
  13. vintagemintage

In my opinion anyone who buys that thinking the're getting an "MS 70" has been scammed

14. baseball21

A scam would be saying its a PCGS one, or taking the money and not delivering the coin or sending a different coin intentionally ect. Scam implies dishonesty. He said its a INB MS 70 it is a INB MS 70 nothing dishonest about that listing and just another in the long list of reasons why no one cares what INB thinks

Paul M. likes this.
  15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

....aside the fact that Ebay specifically prohibits the language he's using in the auction, because it's considered scamming....

vintagemintage likes this.
  16. baseball21

I thought it was you just couldn't list a numerical grade in the title but haven't checked it in a while. Either way I wouldn't call a listing violation for spamming keywords a scam either

17. Paul M.

You can't state a numerical grade or show a picture of the grade on the holder.

from http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/currstamps.html

I agree with you, however, that this listing, while against eBay rules, isn't a scam. If you want an INB MS70 Ike, here's your chance to buy one.

18. vintagemintage

OK, perhaps the seller isn't the one scamming as my thread title implied, but somebody put a beat-up Ike in a Coinworld holder and called it "certified" and "MS70". A PCGS MS70 specimen doesn't even exist in any date Eisenhower, and to do that is nothing but dishonest. I'm just glad that an unknowing novice didn't pay $40 for it, and I'm sure on that we can agree.

Paul M. likes this.
  19. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Why?

(would I want one?) I can get better garbage cleaning the gum from under the city bus seat...

vintagemintage likes this.
  20. Paul M.

I have no idea. :) I bought a really cheap, problem Ike in an overgraded basement slab on purpose just to show new collectors as an educational tool. I think of it kind of like an exonumia item. At least the slab on mine is sealed though!

21. vintagemintage

And a lot cheaper too!

Draft saved Draft deleted