Another EBay grading expert

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by satootoko, May 1, 2007.

1. satootoko

satootoko Retired

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Roy:
    Picky, picky, picky!
    What are three grades and an extra 200% of the price between friends.

4. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Looks like the date is 1884. I'd pay a couple bucks (including shipping) for it at that grade. L@@@@K, LOL.

5. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Yep, same date I came up with (Meiji 17).

6. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Like I said, he's 2 years off.
    The only early Meiji sen I'm missing is the somewhat rare 1881, which I've never found in better than AG. :(

7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Funny enough, I actually got a complete type set of Meiji era Japanese 1 sen from a bulk lot that I bought. I must say that I am ridiciously lucky. I don't really care too much of the grades as long as it's identifiable. :) The only thing that bothered me is the Meiji 14 varient which I can't still tell easily. Roy, if you have any examples from your collection, please show me :)

That reminds me to photograph the Meiji coins when I have time.

8. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Unfortunately, I only have the "normal" 4 version, which is really a little off from the standard character itself, but the JNDA catalog does show the difference well enough for me to describe it.

The representation of the more valuable one is very tiny, and I can't upload a picture. :(

In a completely normal "yon" character, the upper corners of the box have arcs going from the top to slightly above the middle of each side. On the common "yon" of Meiji 14 (1881) 1 sen coins, the right side arc extends almost to the bottom of the box, and angles down. On the rare version there is a little bit of a hook on that arc, which is going up at the end.

I hope that helps.

(My scanner is on the blink, but if I remember, I'll scan drawings of both versions of the character and post them when I get it working again. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted