Another eBay Change

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by baseball21, Mar 19, 2019.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Another eBay change has started that was in the last seller update. Be careful timing your BIN listings now as the only option for fixed price listings is now the Good Till Canceled option. No more 30 days or other options. Another poor change by eBay in my opinion

If you mistime the starting days for your listings so that they overlap to much you'll automatically get charged listing fees when they relist if your free ones have run out.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

eBay and its payment-processing subsidiary Paypal are so greedy it makes me sick. Check out what the seller says in this auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/192854698493. $65 in fees on a $425 item is abhorrently excessive!

Legomaster1 likes this.
  4. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  5. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I've been dreading this change since I saw it announced. I didn't know when it was going into effect though. There's absolutely no good reason for this change except that it tricks people into paying fees. There's no way to sell this as somehow helping sellers out since this was already an option among many, not the only option. Now I need to be sure to cancel my listings early, which is bad because the last day or two before the listing ends is one of the times they sell best.

Seattlite86 and baseball21 like this.
  6. baseball21

Completely agree that it's just a creative way to try and get extra listing fees. Today was the first day that I noticed all other time options were gone. I don't believe they applied it to the currently active ones but everything upon relist is getting locked into that which I really don't like.

The other thing is it almost nullifies the free extra listings offers now. You either have to make sure everything sells or remember to cancel the extra listings before getting hit with the hefty listing fee the next month

Hiddendragon likes this.
  7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Thanks for the heads up. This is why I have hundreds of feedback on eBay but only one of them are for sold items. After paying all the fees, I called it quits.

8. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I only sell when there are free listings promos and I have a lot of coins that can take months to sell, so this is a big problem for someone like me. Since I hadn't heard anything more I was hoping maybe they got a lot of complaints and quietly decided not to do it.

baseball21 likes this.
  9. baseball21

Maybe with enough complaints and canceled listings they’ll at least bring back the 30 day option.

Hiddendragon likes this.
  10. Tokens

Tokens Member

I wish the coin market would carve out a respected and well trafficked niche fixed price online marketplace like Reverb.com did for musical instruments or Discogs did for vinyl records.

eBay has become so, so awful, such a minefield but the inescapable problem is that everyone's there, meaning that nobody wants to sell anyplace else.

NOS and Hiddendragon like this.
  11. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

These are all worth browsing:

http://www.collectorscorner.com/

https://www.vcoins.com/en/Default.aspx

https://www.ma-shops.com/

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I'm not too happy about this change, but I will be listing the same amount of coins for cheaper, actually. For the better part of a year, I have had an upgraded eBay store ($59.95/month) which allowed me 1000 free listings per month. However, I have been running 3 day buy-it-now listings that entire time... purely because I get more sales when my buy-it-now listings are just starting or just ending.

Now, this meant that I was paying $59.95/month, plus roughly $90/month in listing fees because I would run out of my 1000 free listings after about the 1st 10-14 days of the month. (Yes, it was worth it in my eyes due to the notable increase in sales as the listings expired and got relisted [because many buyers search newly listed or ending soonest listings rather than Ebay's default "best match" option]). However, with this change, I downgraded my store to basic for only $21.95/month, and I get 250 free listings per month, meaning I really only have $10-$15 in additional listing fees per month for my 300-350 coins. So now, I'll pay eBay $32-$37/month instead of $150/month. Way to go me! In the meantime, we shall see if my sales drop off.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    jafo50 and LakeEffect like this.
  13. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

14. baseball21

That's a crazy amount of fees. Between their promoted listings and their search manipulation I refuse to pay them a single penny for listings aside from what the store provides. Once they started the Cassini search engine a while back sales seemed to slow down and I know a lot of people that happened to, then again slowed with the promoted listings.

What isn't clear is how Cassini is going to treat the good til canceled. Will the relist be treated as a new listing for the algorithm or just assumed to be an old one? I strongly suspect the level of store plays a role is how their algorithm ranks results so you might see them fade with the lower level store.

To me this is nothing more than another example of something that makes sense in some categories but not all being implemented site wide. If you're selling clothes, or shoes, or DVDs etc it makes sense. They never seem to be able to figure out that they need to treat the collectables differently than normal every day items

Hiddendragon and C-B-D like this.
  15. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Another nail in a once excellent enterprise...

Draft saved Draft deleted