Another dumb question (sorry)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lrubin28, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Ian,
    Here is the Hugh V coin.Not in the best condition but it looks a lot better than these photos would suggest.A bit blurry too,call me Mikjo the unsteady.

Attached Files:

4. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

It looks interesting. Sadly, I just can't make out enough of the detail from the image to make a positive ID of the type. Ian the Shortsighted.

5. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I think this is the same coin as mine,except I believe mine is a better grade.
    oin: Bl denier, 17mm. Obv: +VGO DVX BVRG: DIE, quarter anchor cross. Rev: +DIVIONENSIS, central cross. Mint is Dijon. R4534, Boud 1211.

Life: He is the son of Robert II of Bourgogne, duc of Burgundy (~1245 - 9/10/1305) and Agnes Princess of France (1260 - 1327), youngest daughter of Louis IX and Marguerite Berenger, born in Paris, died at Abbeye de Citeaux. His parents had 9 children and Hugues was the second son (his older brother died 1283). Hugues was born 1282 in Of and died 9 May 1315 in Argilly. He married Catherine de Valois (born 1275) on 24/3/1302. He was involved in a crusade and was king of Thessalonica. Calmette notes that this title was more impressive than the reality, and that adventures in the East did not become a substitute for the nurturing of the duchy in France. Sources: Calmette, various online genealogies, including Benjamin.

Attached Files:

6. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Well there is no doubting that point, that's for sure. :)

He's one i've still got to cross off my hit list. There wasn't that many coins issued for him (afaik).

7. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I'll keep my eye out for one Ian.
    I tried an experiment on a print I made of those scans to determine if the legend in my last post fit my coin.Here is the result...I think it's a match..LOL

Attached Files:

8. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Gosh...that makes reading these legends much easier ;)

I've found three for sale, all of which are currently in France. One is priced right for me. One is like the second example you showed....not so good condition wise, and the third is just over the top price wise. Hopefully i'll soon have another one chalked off my hit list.

I also have a very nice early Carolingian in my sights :D.

Ian

9. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Question whilst we're on these continental issues; Did Geoffrey of Anjou ever have any coins issued in his name?

10. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Ah... Geoffrey The Handsome? aka Geoffrey V of Anjou, Maine and later Duke of Normandy who died in 1151?......There is no coin that I know of issued in his name. Maybe there is, but I just haven't seen reference to one(?).

I have however (courtesy of Jim Roberts `Silver Coins of Medieval France') since seen a denier and an obol issued for Eleanor of Aquitaine in 1131 (not bearing her name however). Now that is something to bring out the hunter in me. The quest is on.:)

11. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

If there had been a coin of Geoffrey V,it would probably be on this page.
    http://home.eckerd.edu/~oberhot/feud-home.htm go to Anjou.
    There is a Geoffrey II of Gien from the exact same period but not our guy.
    Incidently,as I was scrolling down the page,I found out a little bit more about another coin I have:Abbey of St Martin of Tours (12th C).This is not my coin but it looks to be about the same condition.Anyway,it's a good site.
    P.S. Geoffrey Plantagenet died in 1151 and there is a coin of his (sort of,it's actually listed as Fulk V continuing with Geoffroi P.) on the page.Could that be him?

Attached Files:

12. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Can't comment one way or the other. Looks like it. If coinage was issued for Anjou, Maine during his lifetime, it would be his coinage....but would it be `in his name'? ;)

13. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Perhaps i should have said, 'issued under his authority'. I really should have been more cautious since i know French coinage of the period is often static namewise.

But it sounds like the right guy to me, i believe his father was called Fulk. And yes he died in 1151.

Draft saved Draft deleted