Another dumb old poot question.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GUNNER63736, Dec 7, 2020.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

OK folks, I may have asked this before. Dang if I can remember. Old age stinks sometimes. LOL. Here is my question. I collect post 1992-s DCAM bright shiny proof silver coins, no toners. Just happen to prefer them shiny. Am I better off buying certified or raw. I have read the expression "Buy the coin, not the holder". Would this apply to these coins? Just can't afford to waste money these days but I still enjoy my coin collecting. Grandkids will be happy I did one of these days. Yep, I realize they are not high dollar coins like many folks collect.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I would say buy raw. I personally don't see the modern proofs in ultra high grade holding the kind of premium people are paying long term.

If it was me, I would buy them in original government packaging and enjoy them as is.

4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I believe that there is very little significant difference in grade of coins that come from the mint in the capsules. So little difference that in 20 or 30 years no one will care about if it is a 68 or 69; or, even if it is in a special holder.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Personally I would buy them raw, but if you have a chance to pick up certified pieces for little or no premium over the raw prices I wouldn't pass them up.

Garlicus, Inspector43 and CamaroDMD like this.
  6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I think that your best buy is to purchase Proof sets in the original government holder. Look for sets that are not toned. The coins should all be high quality.

Proof singles are usually bad buys IMO. The only reason to buy them is if you need to fill a hole in a registry set, or, in the case of much older Proofs from the '50s and '60s, cameo Proof coins, which are often scarce from the era.

1992-S Silver O.jpg 1992-S Silver R.jpg

There two types of government holders. One had glass windows and the other, this one, was in plastic. They now sell for about the same price.

If you buy a set, make sure you get everything, the coins, outside box and Certificate of Authenticity. If the COA is not there, it's worth less money.

1992-S Silver All.jpg

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Johnmilton has a point there. Singles often sell for more than what the whole set would sell for due to dealer nuisance charge

Garlicus and Inspector43 like this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Especially for everything but the cent and half dollar. Those two seem to have the highest demand from set collectors. I have a pile of nickels, dimes and quarter proof singles I bought from a dealer one time, (seriously, it was a bucket worth), at face value. Almost no demand. He told me he breaks up the set if he can do better selling the cent and half for the same as the set, since he knows the others have no demand. Heck, I don't even really care for them, considering spending them at times.

Garlicus likes this.
  9. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

You’re probably losing money on them due to inflation.
    Spend them and it may spark someone else’s interest in collecting.

Another fun thing to do, is get halves from the bank and spend them. It’s fun/sad watching someone trying to figure out what it is, lol. I’ve even received extra change back because they think they are dollars, even though it says ‘half dollar’ on the coin.
    Sometimes, you even get to make someone’s day, or at least a part of it.

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

When I was a kid collector and was looking to maintain a set of Kennedy Half Dollars, dealers wanted more for a Proof single Kennedy than the whole set. Breaking sets seemed like a sin.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  11. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Well, remember the 1970-D Kennedy half was ONLY available in the Uncirculated set, thus the dilemma:
    1. collect the set unbroken and/or
    2. break up the set and complete the Kennedy set
    3. Buy two sets.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you forget sir I am a hoarder. A coin with me is a lifetime commitment. I can give away though. Maybe I should donate them to the Boy Scouts...

Garlicus likes this.
  13. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

I am somewhat the same way, unless I have multiples or it is junk silver that I don’t want (40% halves and maybe some Morgan’s, sacrilege, I know, lol).

That being said, I haven’t really sold any coins, but am thinking about selling a few things, like a ‘55 proof set in ogh, and maybe a couple others that I also have multiples of.

14. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I have a boat load of UNC Presidential Dollars. They are worth nothing but $1. I use them when I am going someplace where you might tip. For example, I use them at the golf course to tip the girls at the snack counter. They were somewhat surprised at first. Then one of them saw that there were several different ones. I think she might be interested in collecting.

The lesson here is - don't buy from the mint with intentions of making a profit.

mark943 and Garlicus like this.
  15. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input folks.

Draft saved Draft deleted