Another Dubious Drachm: Oreo Cookie Coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Macromius, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Macromius

Macromius Well-Known Member

I just received another VCoins Egyptian Drachm with questionable edges that were not mentioned the original description. There is an irregular crack around almost the entire circumference of the coin filled with some unidentifiable white substance like an Oreo cookie. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I'm really starting to lose heart, and I think it might be time to curtail my coin collecting. This is the third Egyptian drachm in a row that I have bought from Vcoins with serious undescribed issues.

IMGP5566.jpg
    IMGP5576.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Marsyas Mike, ominus1 and Deacon Ray like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

It almost looks like the coin is corroding internally but mostly not showing external signs(though there are a few spots that appear to be corrosion poking its head through on the reverse). I've heard about but fortunately not personally experienced such a scenario yet.

ominus1, Alegandron and Macromius like this.
  4. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Don't give up, @Macromius ! I agree that those issues with the coin are too substantial to have been omitted from the description.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  5. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

That definitely should have been disclosed. Can you send it back?

Macromius likes this.
  6. Macromius

Thanks Deacon Ray...
    Yeah Jay, I'm definitely sending it back. I guess I have to make sure to ask about the edges since most sellers are too lazy to describe or photograph them. Vcoins should really institute a feedback system. It's getting to be a joke!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Alegandron likes this.
  7. Jay GT4

That's good. A few times I've asked for additional pictures just to be sure or at least asked some questions. I've rarely bought a coin with out making inquiry first.

One coin I bought looked like it was holed but it was just a strange lighting effect. I picked it up cheap because everyone assumed it was pierced and didn't bother to ask. It was in his inventory forever so he gave me a deal.

Macromius likes this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I'd send it back, that issue should have been disclosed by the seller.

Macromius likes this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I've seen that before. Here's a similar Roman Egypt coin I returned upon receipt. This type of perimeter crack isn't appreciable in obverse and reverse shots. The auction house (Naville) accepted the return, of course. They covered return shipping too.
    FullSizeRender (14).jpg
    FullSizeRender_2 (1).jpg

Your Hadrian drachm doesn't look too bad, but it's hard to tell what might lurk in the coin's interior. Best to return it.

10. Macromius

Well that certainly settles it. Thanks TIF...and thanks for photos. That coin has way more creamy filling than mine.

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yeah, mine was the new Mint Oreo flavor :yack:.

It looked on the verge of becoming two uniface coins!

ominus1, Macromius and Alegandron like this.
  12. Jay GT4

These flans were cast right?

TIF likes this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Right.

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Great, now I want an ancient and an Oreo.

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Here's a Bosporeo for ya :D

Bosporeo2.jpg

[​IMG]
    KINGS OF BOSPORUS, Sauromates I
    CE 93/4-123/4
    AE 48 units (29mm, 10.84 gm, 12h)
    Obv: diademed, draped bust of Sauromates left
    Rev: Nike advancing left, holding wreath, flanked by mark of value M-H, all within wreath
    Ref: MacDonald 397/2

And some time ago I made this "coin" instead of tending to adult responsibilities. It's tooled (like my Sauromates I, apparently :( )

[​IMG]

16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I agree. Send it back.

Macromius likes this.
  17. Macromius

Hey, thanks folks for the advice and for making a depressing post funny! I needed a smile.

18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

+1

Caesar_Augustus likes this.
  19. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

the coins legit(authentic) i think, but yeah that's a real surprise upon receiving i'm sure.. i recently was looking at a coin and requested pics of the edge before bidding on it just because of my Missouri nature..send it back if you're not happy.

Caesar_Augustus likes this.
  20. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..that 1st & last coin does lQQk yummy! :)

TIF likes this.
  21. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Yes, but in open molds, not two-piece, closed molds. Thus, there are no casting seams on Alexandrian bronzes. The open molds are why the bronzes have that characteristic conical shape (wider on one side than the other, sloping edges). The molds were narrower at the bottom so that the hardened flans would pop-out easier - like a cupcake pan. The OP coin is not showing a casting seam, it is a flan/patina crack.

Draft saved Draft deleted