Another domed commemorative coming in 2020 (Basketball)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LakeEffect, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Was that domed or doomed?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

This one just doesn't do it for me. The design is just way too busy.

4. Jeff M.

Jeff M. New Member

Check out the colorized versions on the mint's web site. It looks like they are not touching the obverse. The reverse of the clad half dollar is decent and what I expected. But, is the silver coin worth it? All they did was add black to the basketball channels, colored the rim orange and the net white. That's it. Somewhat disappointing, especially since they did not add any color to the obverse.

5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

6. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Somewhat related to this post - U.S. Mint is coming out with colored basketball coins, although the coloring will be post-mint, farmed out to a private vendor. And only one side will be colored. Why didn't the Mint go with both sides being colored? No imagination, just another gimmick coin.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Usually colorized coins are just one side, that said the dollar looks atrocious while the half does actually look nice

8. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

Available for purchase in about seven minutes. I like the half better, but don't like $55 for a clad coin of any type.

9. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I quit buying commemoratives a few years ago. They cost more than they will ever be worth. And, in this case, I don't patronize associations that are clearly unpatriotic.

10. Virginian

Well, it IS a basketball coin - not an NBA coin. Basketball HOF covers amateur basketball, college basketball, international basketball. It's the sport, not the league.

However . . . I passed, too. Silver has been soaring and is still less than $28. $95 is just way too much for me. Maybe at $55 (although ridiculously they are selling garden variety ASEs for $54).

Yurz.

Guess we'll know soon how popular they are.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  11. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I see college players mimicking the pro players in the act of being unpatriotic. To me there is no difference.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Move over. I'm with you.

Inspector43 likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

It's a sport, not a place for a political protest.

Garlicus and Inspector43 like this.
  14. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Virginian likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

16. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Obviously this isn't the forum for the most in depth discussion of it but I see it as a protest against injustice. Clearly not everyone does though. I'm sure there were many people at the time who saw the events on the posted link as a "political protest" as well instead of a fight against injustice. Invariably it seems that there isn't a real "consensus" on it until some years have passed and the protests are seen in hindsight with context. That's all I'll say on the subject as I realize this isn't even in "general discussion"...:rolleyes:

To stay on topic, I do agree with some of the posts that posit these coins as "gimmicky"...personally I've never had an interest in convex/concave commemoratives but to each their own

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

o_O

18. Virginian

Still available despite the mint limit of 75000. Household order limit lifted. Ridiculous prices. I think the Mint screwed up with these coins.

A real shame that they did not handle their first colorized coins any better than this. IMO, it would have been MUCH better to do a colorized ASE with a low mintage limit as the first colorized coin, and gin up some real excitement.

19. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

I don't know ... I mean, I see your point, but if they had done a good job and it sold well, we'd just be that much further along toward becoming the Royal Canadian Mint with cubic zirconia coins, and triangle coins, and glow in the dark coins, and...

Garlicus, markr and Oldhoopster like this.
  20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Blinking coins! Coins that play a little tune! Wind-up coins that flip themselves!

Garlicus and LakeEffect like this.
  21. Virginian

I'm in for a glow-in-the-dark New Mexico state coin with Trinity on the reverse.

-jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted