Another day, another Provincial I can't figure out

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Brian Bucklan, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

I'm normally pretty decent with provincials but this is the second one in the last few weeks that has me baffled even though there's quite a bit of legible obverse and reverse legends. Here it is:

Unknown Provincial Seated Reverse.jpg
    Obverse clearly reads (from top left) CEBACTOC - EVN ....
    Reverse is: .. AΛEPI - ANOY .. ; Seated Figure left

I thought the last one I posted with the stag looking back would be easy but no one can figure it out. I hope this one will be easier. Any ideas @TIF ?

BB

Andres2, Curtisimo, dadams and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

First impression is Augstus (or other Julio-Claudian)/ Zeus seated left, holding eagle (or Nike or Palladium) and sceptre.

Perhaps Sebaste in Phrygia? The style of yours looks more refined though, and the reverse legend follows the curve rather than being vertical. Hmm, probably not.

I'm seeing other somewhat similar coins from other cities in Phrygia (Synnada, for instance-- like this one of Claudius)

4. Brian Bucklan

That is very similar type and the reverse design (not legend) is an exact match. I'm going to do some searches in other cities of Phrygia. Thanks for taking the time to look at the coin! BTW, this coin came from my friend who bought a large portion of the BCD collection and he said that it had never been properly identified.

dadams likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That would make identifying it even more satisfying :)

I'm digging through more sources now.

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. Brian Bucklan

TIF: You were absolutely correct! I haven't found a pic but I did find this description for an Augustus coin from Synnada:

Ox. Bust right; CEBACTOC CYNNAΔEΩN
    Rx: Zeus enthroned left holding Nike and scepter; OYAΛEPIANOY around

That is it! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Andres2, dadams and TIF like this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

@TIF you have some amazing coining (and funny-awesome post) skills!

TIF and Roman Collector like this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oh, yay!! Good job tracking it down. This morning I'm looking for an online example. First I used @Ed Snible's front end for ISEGRIM to locate more examples, since that interface lists references. Using that, I looked for public domain reference books. So far I've only gone through Barclay Head's Catalog of the Greek Coins of Phrygia, 1906. The listing is there but unfortunately it isn't plated. Looks like there may be other public domain books which might contain a plate image of the type.

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 5.13.32 AM.png

:) Thanks!! I really enjoy trying to identify coins, particularly provincials.

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Roman Collector, Orfew and Curtisimo like this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The British Museum has some examples. Their website is frustrating because the coin images are often not well lit and surprisingly they don't give full descriptions for the coins! The magistrate's name doesn't look like a match for the first coin and the other two are too worn (and too poorly photographed) to say.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...Id=1306256&partId=1&searchText=synnada&page=1

[​IMG]

http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...Id=1314853&partId=1&searchText=synnada&page=1
    [​IMG]

http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...Id=1314847&partId=1&searchText=synnada&page=1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  11. Brian Bucklan

I tried to go through the British Museum website but it isn't easy. Also, I would think that the British Museum could take better pics than me with my cheap Sony camera. I would be wrong.

Thanks once again and unfortunately I'm sure there's going to be a few more I can't figure out. It's nice to have online friends who are willing to help me out at these times.

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted