Another Daniel Carr token for me

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I think that every Court of Appeals in the USA would disagree with you that it is black and white--either legal or illegal. It is clearly a matter of interpretation, and intent. Sorry that you see that differently, but that is clearly the way laws regarding said merchandise have been interpreted. See, this isn't a murder case, where the person was either killed intentionally or not--it is a commerce issue that has many facets to it. The biggest of these are intent--did the person creating said article do so as a token/hobby curio of interest to a specific market only OR, did said person intent to deceive. I think the intent here is extremely clear--Mr. Carr's tokens and medals (as they are designated by ANACS, and I tend to agree) are hobby tokens, not fraudulent reproductions.

Bigpoppa likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Why isn't it legal tender if it was made from a real U.S. coin?

4. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Because his over strikes are dates that never existed for that particular coin.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Every_single_day Ebay does more damage - in direct violation of HPA - to numismatics than Dan Carr could in an entire lifetime, yet he gets 13 pages and nobody worries about Counterfeit Central. It'd be funny if it weren't saddening.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Oh I wouldn't say that nobody worries Dave. There have been thousands of threads, countless pages all told, that talk about counterfeits on ebay.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Well that's because he keeps insisting he's legal because nobody goes after him. It's like the traffic going 65 in a 55 zone insisting therefore it's legal to go 65 in a 55 zone.

8. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Thanks for making my point!, So in other words...Counterfeit!:rolleyes: Every coin that was made by the mint for circulation is still legal tender today.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  9. Bigpoppa

Bigpoppa Active Member

Time to get back on to the TITLE OF THE THREAD !!

Here is a ONE OF A KIND, which means a total mintage of ONE (1) :)

You can call it a trade token , medal, bullion or whatever, but I call it a rare badge of honor token ..

The infamous:
    2015 $100 Joseph Lesher .999 Silver Octagonal token

POKER DONKEY
    LAS VEGAS

Too earn this title it requires many hours of tremendous skills, playing multiple poker hands as badly as possible

Enjoy !!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Morgandude11 likes this.
  10. Silverhouse

But the dates do not exist, so the coin as a whole is not counterfeit, it's not legal tender if it never existed. Just as those silly gold leaf layered 2.00 bills. They may be "real" but try spending one, I doubt anyone would take it. They would be afraid it was fake. Heck some people nowadays think even real 2 dollar bills are fake! What about elongated pennies? Still legal tender. Ever try spending one? Why not? it's still "legal tender."

I for one am tired of this conversation about his over strikes going in circles. If it's that much a big deal to you, make a formal complaint. If not, I think most of us have stated our position on Carr's pieces.

Bigpoppa likes this.
  11. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

To be fair, try spending a Kennedy half or an Ike, see how many clerks give you a questionable look lol

12. Silverhouse

Oh I have. Never any problems spending them.

13. Numismat

I've gotten weird looks from younger clerks when using Kennedy halves to pay for things and have had to explain that they are real US coinage.

$ignofthedollar likes this.
  14. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

When I was in high school I would get Ikes, sbas and Kennedy halfs and spend them at McDonald's. Every single time the manager would have to come over and authorize the sale. They never know what we gave them.

15. SuperDave

And your hate is as impotent as the FTC. They, on the other hand, actually matter and can do some good if we can motivate them. You, not so much.

16. $ignofthedollar

$ignofthedollar Well-Known Member

LoL! This is true. I purposely keep our current dollar coins, Ike's, two dollar bills,worn buffalo's and Indian cents for when I go to any of the fast food chains just to see the ruckus it causes when I pay with them.
    I'm mean that way! :)

Numismat likes this.
  17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

"Hate?" "Impotent?" How is that responsive to what I just said?

I'll be just as non-responsive. You're another moron just trying to pick a fight.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And I'll tell both you to just put a stop to it.

You can disagree all you want, but that's where it ends.

19. SuperDave

If I am being perceived as attacking people and not ideas, I will back the heck off.

It just bothers me to see such intelligence and energy being wasted here (on all sides) on what can never be anything but a sideline issue, when the energy expended in just this thread directed at any one specific FTC member might have been enough to finally get them to pay attention to large-scale violations costing us (as numismatists) money and reputation.

We have bigger fish to fry, to my mind, if we want to be seen as protective of the hobby and its' future.

Bigpoppa likes this.
  20. Numismat

It may be mean, but it's probably good for the hobby. You never know, one of those youngins might get interested and become the next big thing in numismatics because you mind-screwed them with a buffalo or indian lol

21. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Bear Mountain Trading Post.....007

2014-12-24 01.11-horz.jpg

jester3681 and Bigpoppa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted