Another cut coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clonecommanderavgvsvs, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Clonecommanderavgvsvs

Clonecommanderavgvsvs Well-Known Member

This time a cut farthing of Henry II. Famous for having Thomas Becket killed and invading Ireland. 199A4F3E-4E1D-454E-976E-FB27F7F13AC9.jpeg 177792C8-D5E1-4D36-B068-7BECE00A98D7.jpeg

midas1, galba68, DonnaML and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Nice coin. I am a fan of cut coins. Seems like someone took extra care to make them the right size. Most of mine are struck bronze, a few are struck silver and some are cast bronze.
    DSCN0768.JPG DSCN0767.JPG
    Aug child cut coin.JPG Aug child cut coin rev.JPG
    20190311_153201.jpg
    DSCN4686.JPG

Johndakerftw, DonnaML and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of cut coins, this RR half As is the only one in my collection:

As half as.jpg

5. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Cool example, @Clonecommanderavgvsvs. @TheRed just gifted me with a Class 5 of John, from the cool mint of Lynn, in Norfolk. (Between available hardware and aptitude, it would take a second life to take my own pics.)
    But I would swear that someone here, not that long ago, mentioned that the English fractions were often (at least) made at the mint itself. Tried to find the thread without initial success.
    But here's a Samanid dirham, from Central Asia /mostly Afghanistan, c. earlier 10th c., with a provenance from Estonia. By way of the Viking trade with the region, truckloads of these (in whole and in part) have been found from Russia to Scandinavia to England, along with the occasional example from (Norse) Dublin.
    It's another variant of the phenomenon, known as 'hacksilv[/-b]er.' The truly amazing thing is that the Vikings were conducting long-distance trade on this scale, via rivers and literally overland, before they themselves had a monetary economy. ...Yup, take out the scales; now we're happy. The relative unevennes of the cuts serves to emphasize that the sole criterion was weight, rather than fractions of an effectively irrelevant denomination.
    COINS, VIKING, SAMANID HALF DIRHAM, 'OBV.'.jpg
    COINS, VIKING, SAMANID HALF DIRHAM, 'REV.'.jpg

midas1, finny, rrdenarius and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted