Another Cartwheel

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, May 29, 2016.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Not too long ago I got a Cartwheel 2 pence. Needless to say I wanted a 1 pence also and recently picked one one pretty cheap.

[​IMG]
    George III (1760 - 1820 A.D.)
    Æ "Cartwheel" 1 Pence
    O: GEORGIUS III D G REX, Laureate, draped, and armored bust right.
    R: BRITANNIA, Britannia seated left on rocks, holding branch and trident; shield to right; in background, ship under sail right upon waves.
    Soho (Birmingham) mint, 1797.
    36mm
    28.34g
    6h
    KM 618.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

For threads sake, my 2 pence.

[​IMG]
    George III (1760 - 1820 A.D.)
    Æ "Cartwheel" 1 Pence
    O: GEORGIUS III D G REX, Laureate, draped, and armored bust right.
    R: BRITANNIA, Britannia seated left on rocks, holding branch and trident; shield to right; in background, ship under sail right upon waves.
    Soho (Birmingham) mint, 1797.
    41mm
    54.73g
    6h
    Peck 1077; SCBC 3776; KM 619.

randygeki, stevex6, Cucumbor and 7 others like this.
  4. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Never took you for a collector of "modern" coins, Mat.
    Nice lot you have there.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i have a little collection of modern coin "on the side" as well. i bump into mat on the modern coin forum every now and again. here's a contemporary conder token...

[​IMG]

randygeki, Mikey Zee, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Oh yes, got plenty. I collect world moderns on a regular basis. I especially like die clashes.

But I focus alot on French, Italian, Mexican and Canadian. Queen Vicky coinage is major too.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I think these cartwheels are pretty cool for modern coins, but why are you posting them on the Ancients board instead of the World Coins board?

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Doug tends to like them and has posted them here too. Plus the world section isn't too busy ;)

Cucumbor and stevex6 like this.
  9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice coins Mat. Britannia also occurred on the revise of Roman coins. Hadrian for example had reverses featuring Brittannia. Does anyone have one of these?

10. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Ok, now I'm curious. I know this is colonial but that's about all I know. Only 1 I have in that era. What can you tell me about it? 1775 colonial. Rev..jpg 1775 colonial obv..jpg

chrsmat71, randygeki, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Whats the weight? Looks to be a Milled George III - 1777 Halfpenny

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

8.3-8.4g 1775. Is a half penny your right remembered that as soon as saw your reply.

13. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Can't locate my caliper, it's somewhere in this mess

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yeah, blame Doug. The fact is many of us post things on Pink Floyd which are only slightly closer to ancient numismatic topics than are the cartwheels. I suppose we could discuss whether we should be hardcore on what we discuss and what we should not. I'm OK with the current state but admit that I probably miss significant on topic posts that come after a thread has gone chasing rabbits. For the record, I do not collect modern British. I just have a few dozen of them. When I see a coin that is blamed for a plague in 1849, I see extra interest that transcends the fact that mine is neither ancient nor MS and would not be appreciated here or anywhere else.

stevex6 likes this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

DarkSideOfTheCartwheel_edited-1.jpg

You raise a good point about where a given coin will be appreciated. Coins such as these cartwheels, with their interesting historical background, will probably receive more appreciation on the Ancients board-- especially when point of the post isn't to discuss condition or whether the coin would "grade".

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It doesn't help the world forum is a fairly quiet forum. Other then the "Need help identifying", Whats it worth", its a dead forum. Especially when you compare it to here or the u.s. section, which is constantly active.

Plus we ancient collectors are a tight knit group on here and value/enjoy everyones comments here.

Offline no one cares about my coins other then what are they worth if I die.

18. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Huh interesting. I had been considering posting my Battle of Prague medal over on the world forum since it was somewhat ignored over here. Recently bought something from the 1780s but I might not end up posting it because of this.

19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Post it here anyway. Better than somewhere where no one is looking. I for one appreciate anything historical.

20. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I really wish the world coins forum was more active. I collect more world coins than US. Thanks for sharing this Mat!

21. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Did you just use the words "Doug" and "Like" in the same sentence?

BTW, a cartwheel twopence is one of the few world coins I'm interested in.
    Can someone cure me of this US obsession and open me to the world of world coins?

rzage and stevex6 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted