Another Bad Half Cent for Sale

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jack D. Young, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

I have written several articles about “families” of counterfeits where the obverse die is from a known variety with different dates and the reverse a known variety as well. Initially the source coin variety could be identified and many times the actual coin found through common markers.

From there the counterfeits seen have progressed to examples with the same obverse “variety” but a different but still identifiable reverse…

In the case of half cents one of my articles documented a family of middle date fakes: https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/s...nother-all-in-the-family-half-cent-1835-1826/

These were based on an 1835 obverse and an 1826 C-1 reverse and readily identifiable as fake.

This latest example appears to be an 1828 C-1 obverse from the star positions. The reverse looks to be from an 1835 C-2, possibly. Comparing this to the known varieties for the date results in no obverse match (only one obverse for the date):

combo.jpg
    1832 o comp.jpg
    1828 o comp.jpg

The counterfeiters continue to switch things up, making it harder to label a group as fake; again in my opinion taking the time to attribute an example before you pull the “buy” trigger is always the safest 1st step!

EDIT: I added a reverse comparison to an 1835 C-2:

1835 r comp.jpg

Are these deceptive? I call them intermediate counterfeits and certainly deceptive to some; this one had 17 bids at 2 hours left before being removed…

Best, Jack.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    tommyc03, wxcoin, Publius2 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

It truly amazes me as to how many people buy items as such with no background knowledge of what they are buying. And yeah I understand totally about fixing stupid... you can't...and not that I know it all ...as I do not....but.... what I do know is ...what I don't know ...I need to research and educate myself before I step in it with both feet.
    I truely wish in my area there were more coin clubs for YN's to be taught by us older collectors about what we have learned over our years in the hobby.
    It sort of like buying a car that is a Lemmon....once burned twice shy...and leaves one with no interest any longer. And thats a real shame!

Jack D. Young likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Thanks for the education.

5. Jack D. Young

WOW, we are on the same page:D!!! Education is the only way to help, but folks need to be willing to learn.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    Paddy54 likes this.
  6. Paddy54

It only makes sense...I spent almost 55 years in the food business, I so enjoyed sharing my experience with others. To me it wasn't work it was fun esspecially when you could capture their interests.
    And the same thing with coins...to share ones passion and enstill it in another just is so rewarding.
    I place it on the same level as a great cherry pick or discovery...what a rush!

7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Before calling people stupid, consider the entire picture. A large majority of folks buying coins on Ebay have no clue what they are doing. They are not numismatists, they don't join coin forums or read publications. They don't go to shows or have access to coin dealers either. They just like coins. If they won that C/F it would go into their collection and stay there - just as if it were genuine. Other pieces in their collection possibly have "Copy" stamped into their edge; yet they never looked!

Many older collectors grew up at a time when there was a very limited number of fakes around. For example, if you were not building a high grade collection of Half cents where deceptive electrotypes existed, you would be perfectly safe buying virtually any Half cent you came upon.

People like you are an exception when it comes to collecting coins so does that make you smart? Well, I guess it does. :D:p

EDIT: It appears that the three of us have expressed both sides.

Mainebill likes this.
  8. Jack D. Young

Unfortunately "fixing stupid" may be a poor slang for the situation; being naive does not make one stupid but not taking the initiative to learn about your series before spending $ on it produces a similar result...

9. Paddy54

Most but not all are willing to learn when its fun! I was very fortunate..I should say blessed with instructors who made learning fun.
    Anyone one can teach something....but it takes a true educators or showman or woman to capture the students minds.
    When you can enstill your passion into another both teaching as well learning becomes fun....not just something that need be done.
    I compare it to riding a horse...the horse knows as soon as you mount it... if you do or don't know how to ride. Yeah anyone can get on the horse..but can they become one with the steed and both enjoy the time spent ?
    I really think that here on this forum there could be a class like thread taught by senior members to help newbies to not only learn but to have the building blocks for a good foundation to build their interests in the hobby.
    It not only be a learning experience for them ...but us as well... and that what makes learning fun....;) Sharing a common ground interest without the fear of failure. When you enstill confidence in them your are more than half way there....

10. Paddy54

My apologies for hijacking your post... it wasn't my intent...I'm just passionate about our hobby as well learning.

11. Jack D. Young

I am as well!

12. Jack D. Young

Not a total student of half cents like a couple of my friends are, this gets a little confusing, which is why I purchased both Ed’s and William’s books!

This example has a similar obverse to the "1832" but the 1826 C-1 reverse like my 1st article:

new-1825.jpg

This one the head of '33-35 like my article but attributed as the 1835 C-1 reverse like the "1832"...

1825 combo 2.jpg

13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Thanks Jack. Date on the 1832 looks wonky too. Not like any genuine example I’ve seen. Unless is a variety I’m not familiar with I’m no half cent expert. But pay attention to coin details as a whole

14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Jack I tried to private message you but it wouldn’t let me. All if a sudden I’m seeing higher grade 1803 half cents turning up at local estate auctions everywhere. 3 in a month. Something we should worry about?

15. Jack D. Young

@Mainebill , it let me start a conversation with you,

Mainebill likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted