Another A-Pi drachm for The Pile...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Jul 19, 2018.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Given that I just posted a pic of a pile of 40 A-Pi drachms of Alexandria yesterday, I hope I'll be forgiven for showing yet another one of them today...

This one comes from the same recent large group lot purchase which yielded the Scaurus/Hypsaeus denarius I showed the other day, and I felt that it too deserved its own thread. It's a little grungy, but not even close to being bad for a large Alexandrian bronze, and reverse is a very rare and interesting type - I haven't found sale records for any examples online, and it's unique to Antoninus Pius, apparently struck only in his second regnal year.

A similar reverse, featuring a full-length figure of Sarapis between the Dioscuri, was struck in a few of Pius's later regnal years. Some members will remember an ex stevex6 example of this reverse now owned @TIF. That one has always made me jealous, but I feel a little better about not owning it now :D.

Feel free to post anything related... A-Pi drachms, Sarapis and Dioscuri coins, neat group lot finds...

Antoninus Pius - Drachm Sarapis Dioskouroi 2669.jpg ANTONINUS PIUS
    AE Drachm. 23.36g, 34.1mm. EGYPT, Alexandria, RY 2 (AD 138/9). RPC Online Temp #14776 (6 spec.); Emmett 1652 (R5); Geissen 1299 . O: ΑVΤ Κ Τ ΑΙΛ ΑΔΡ ΑΝΤωΝΙΝΟС ƐVСƐΒ, bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: L Β, draped bust of Sarapis wearing kalathos, facing front; on either side, the Dioscuri, each crowned with star, standing, facing, heads turned towards bust, holding spears and whips(?).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a fantastic inclusion in the mixed lot! Here's that ex X6 coin again...

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius
    Regnal year 8, CE 144/5
    AE drachm, 33 mm, 23.2 gm
    Obv: [legend]; laureate draped bust right
    Rev: Serapis, wearing modius, standing facing; flanked by the Dioscuri who are also standing facing, heads turned towards Serapis, and each holding a flagellum ; [L] H in exergue
    Ref: Dattari 2864 (RY2); Dattari-Savio plate 148 coins 2864 and 8724; Emmett 1670.8; Not listed in Milne.
    Ex X6 Collection

I'll refrain from posting all 50+ Antoninus Pius Alexandrian issues plus another dozen or two coins featuring Serapis but here's a sampling :D

Antoninus Pius obol with a sphinx in the pose of the Great Sphinx of Giza:
    [​IMG]
    year 20, CE 156/7
    AE obol, 18 mm, 4.36 gm
    Obv: laureate head right
    Rev: sphinx crouched/reclining left; L K above
    Ref: Emmett 1782.20 (unlisted reverse for year 20); unlisted in Geissen and Dattari

Serapis... dear Serapis... the world's first designer deity?

Serapis is a purposefully constructed syncretic deity dreamed up by Ptolemy I and his priests/advisors. The god was invented to make Greek culture and deities more palatable to Egyptians and so combines attributes of Greek Zeus and Egyptian Osiris and Apis. Their plan was wildly successful and worship of Serapis spread beyond the borders of Egypt. Serapis was depicted on coins for roughly 500 years after his invention.

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Hadrian
    year 4, CE 119/20
    tetradrachm, 25 mm, 13.3 gm
    Obv: AVTKAITPAI AΔPIACEB; laureate bust right
    Rev: draped bust of Serapis right; L - Δ
    Ref: Emmett 889.4, R4; Dattari (Savio) 7462 var. (without crescent); K&G 32.124

After absorbing Zeus Ammon:
    [​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Hadrian
    year 8, CE 123/4
    billion tetradrachm, 23 mm, 13.2 gm
    Obv: ...TPAI AΔ... ; laureate bust right, slight drapery; crescent before
    Rev: draped bust of Serapis-Ammon right; L-H across fields
    Ref: Emmett 895.8, R5; Köln 858; Dattari (Savio) 1481; K&G 32.258
    From a Hungarian Collection formed primarily in the 1930’s

Serapis-ZeusAmmon-Helios-Poseidon:
    [​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Lucius Verus
    year 4, CE 163/4
    tetradrachm, 24 mm, 13.51 gm
    Obv: ΛAVPHΛI OVHPOCCEB; bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust left
    Rev: Radiate and draped bust of Serapis-Pantheos right, wearing calathus and horn of Ammon; trident behind shoulder; ∆/L in right field
    Ref: Emmett 2360 (4), R1; Köln 2148; Dattari (Savio) 9420; K&G 39.77

Serapis-ZeusAmmon-Helios-Poseidon-Nilus-Asklepios
    [​IMG]
    year 5, CE 141/2
    AE drachm, 20 gm
    Obv: Laureate draped bust of Antoninus Pius right
    Rev: Radiate and draped bust of Serapis-Pantheos right, wearing calathus and horn of Ammon; trident and cornucopia behind; L-Є in right field
    Ref: Emmett 1676.5, R1

Serapis head on a snake-god:
    [​IMG]
    Regnal year 17
    AE drachm, 33mm
    Obv: laureate bust right
    Rev: Serapis-Agathodaemon standing erect right
    Ref: Dattari 2829; Emmett 1678.17
    Ex Robert L. Grover Collection of Roman Egyptian Coinage, previously held by the Art Institute of Chicago (1982.1988, G.781)

Serapis head on a snake-god, on a horse:
    [​IMG]
    Æ drachm (32mm, 23.0 g, 12h); RY 23 (CE 159/60)
    Obv: Laureate bust right, slight drapery
    Rev: Serapis-Agathodaemon serpent erect right on horseback advancing right; L K Γ (date) across field. Only the K is visible on this coin but this is the only year of issue for the type
    Ref: Cf. Köln 1852-3; Dattari (Savio) 8939; K&G 35.820; Emmett 1679
    Ex X6 Collection.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    dlhill132, NLL, Andres2 and 8 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice @zumbly ! That is a really cool Drachm. The reverse is really different. When I first saw that bust of Sarapis on the reverse, I thought it was the first Roman depiction of The Buddha, just floating up between the Dioscuri! :)

upload_2018-7-19_8-5-18.png IMG_1504 (1).jpg

Since I collect Roman Republic, I have TONS of dioscuri. So, I won't bore you with them. Here is an Ant Pius Tet from Alexandria:

RI Antoninus Pius 138-161 BCE BI Tet Alexandria Egypt Dikaiosyne Scale.jpg
    RI Antoninus Pius 138-161 BCE BI Tet Alexandria Egypt Dikaiosyne Scale

Ok, yeah, :D I will bore you with a few Dioscuri:

upload_2018-7-19_8-19-8.png
    RR Anon AR Quinarius 211-210 BCE Aplulian mint 16.5mm 2.1g Phrygian helmet Dioscuri Craw 102-2b RARE

RR AE Aes Grave Sextans 270 BCE 37mm 55.28g Dioscuri R and L.JPG
    RR AE Aes Grave Sextans 270 BCE 37mm 55.28g Dioscuri R and L

Baktria Greco-Baktrian Kingdom Eukratides I Megas 170-145 BCE Dioscuri AE Quadruple Unit.JPG
    Baktria Greco-Baktrian Kingdom Eukratides I Megas 170-145 BCE Dioscuri AE Quadruple Unit

upload_2018-7-19_8-13-16.png
    RR Anon AR denarius Roma 211-206 BCE ROMA incus Dioscuri single horn-helmet Sear-- Craw 68-1b SICILY ISSUE RARE

RR Servilius 136 BCE Roma Dioscuri galloping S 116 Cr 239-1.jpg
    RR Servilius 136 BCE Roma Dioscuri galloping S 116 Cr 239-1

upload_2018-7-19_8-14-32.png
    RR AR Sestertius After 211 BCE 12mm 1.0g Rome mint Roma r IIS - Dioscuri riding stars in ex ROMA Sear 46 Craw 44-7 RSC 4

This one is for @dougsmit :D
    upload_2018-7-19_8-15-12.png
    RR Anon AE 23 Quincunx 211-200 BCE 6.96g Apollo P behind Dioscuri Luceria 5 pellets Cr 99-4 Syd 309 S 910 Rare

dlhill132, NLL, Andres2 and 5 others like this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Oookay... so I think we've got Serapis covered! :p Seriously, what a fabulous set. I really need to get myself a Serapis-Pantheos.

Also, thanks, @Alegandron, for bringing in the divine cavalry :D.

Alegandron and TIF like this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great @zumbly - really interesting coin and very nice coins as well @TIF

zumbly and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted