ANOTHER 1972 DDO

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by JakeTheBarber401, Feb 24, 2017.

1. JakeTheBarber401

JakeTheBarber401 Active Member

Not #1 but still another neat find other 3 are in better condition IMG_20170224_232009_213.jpg IMG_20170224_230456_517.jpg IMG_20170224_230638_862.jpg IMG_20170224_230339_404.jpg IMG_20170224_230216_618.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JakeTheBarber401

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Which is it? Have you searched it yet?

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nope, I don't have the reference

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Appears to be MDD, especially in photo #2 from top.

9. JakeTheBarber401

There are notches especially in the I in the word "in"

10. JakeTheBarber401

Looks like 3 or 6 to me im not too sure

11. JakeTheBarber401

Found this 1971 ddo #1 yesterday as well and I lost the 1972 ddo before i could put it in a flip i am so upset but at least i found this gem IMG_20170225_115304_976.jpg IMG_20170225_115340_562.jpg IMG_20170225_115020.jpg IMG_20170225_115027.jpg

12. JakeTheBarber401

13. Pickin and Grinin

The 71' dosent fit into this thread, they may be two different styles of doubling. I am deffering to @desertgem .

14. desertgem

It's just an opinion based on photos. Few classic DDO can be done so except the biggies. 55/55(1), 72/72(1). 36/36(1),60/60, sm/lg, DDO, WRPM, etc. Actually, It seems many people can't do 69-S DDO(1) as on ebay.

Until 3-D photos and screens are common, they are too flat. Under a binoc scope, you can see the height and surface of the coin. Maybe these on the 72 are more rounded than I see them as flattened. The "L" and "I" in liberty on the 71 is rounded, so no doubt for me there.

15. JakeTheBarber401

Sorry about that

16. JakeTheBarber401

So are u saying these arent ddos? Im confused with your comment

17. desertgem

No , I was just saying that mainly only the widely separated DD, such as the ones mentioned, can be seen as such by the average photo, such as cell phone, etc. that are usually posted on the forum or ebay. Now some members do take photos expertly , and with good magnification, so they would be the exception.

When looking straight at a coin photo, you are seeing a flat image, so it is difficult to tell if the secondary 'doubling' is flat or if it is raised also like the primary image. It may not be the same height, but it will be raised a little if it is a DD. When you look at the coin in hand with a loupe, you can tilt the coin as you observe it and see if the secondary image is flat or at least somewhat raised.

I saw the images on the 72 coin you showed as flat rather than as raised, unlike the 1971 coin previously where it was definitely raised.

The comments only apply to the classic hubbing and not in my opinion to the newer single squeeze 'DD'. Jim

18. desertgem

No , I was just saying that mainly only the widely separated DD, such as the ones mentioned, can be seen as such by the average photo, such as cell phone, etc. that are usually posted on the forum or ebay. Now some members do take photos expertly , and with good magnification, so they would be the exception.

When looking straight at a coin photo, you are seeing a flat image, so it is difficult to tell if the secondary 'doubling' is flat or if it is raised also like the primary image. It may not be the same height, but it will be raised a little if it is a DD. When you look at the coin in hand with a loupe, you can tilt the coin as you observe it and see if the secondary image is flat or at least somewhat raised.

I saw the images on the 72 coin you showed as flat rather than as raised, unlike the 1971 coin previously where it was definitely raised.

The comments only apply to the classic hubbing and not in my opinion to the newer single squeeze 'DD'. Jim

19. Pickin and Grinin

MDO-001

Designation:

MD-1-O-I-CW+II-C (P, D, S, PR)

Description:

Light spread on LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST and 2 of date

Grade:

MS63

Population:

Markers:

This doubling is now considered to be engraving doubling rather than master die doubling.

Formerly listed as MD-5-O-I-CW+II-C
    UVC-2282

DMR-001

MS

Reported by:

Gerald Landry

This is from the Coneca Master Listings.
    @Johndoe2000$ I was probably Pickin when I said that.
    The two different types of doubling are very relevant.

Draft saved Draft deleted