Another 1886 Morgan (not cleaned or brushed)

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by 2MuchStuff, Aug 3, 2015.

1. 2MuchStuff

2MuchStuff Member

This one was in a Swank money clip for an unknown # of years. Had to carefully bend the clip prongs to get it out. No brush or anything else on this one. :shame: Comments? DSC01350.JPG DSC01351.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I see signs of life in it. I'd want to see more pictures, though; maybe different lighting, maybe capturing the luster better. On these pictures this could go as high as MS67.

4. 2MuchStuff

2MuchStuff Member

I'll work on getting some better pics. Thanks. Bill

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

MS67 is probably very optimistic. Even though it doesn't look to be damaged by having been in the money clip (is there any damage to the reeding?), my guess is that it's probably AU something (based on the pics, it could be a solid 53 or maybe a 55). But, yeah, better pics would help, and there are, indeed, some "signs of life" here.

6. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

Are those clip/prong marks below the 1 and 8 ? Also looks like rub above the ear. AU. Possible AU details if the clip/prong issue is bad enough

7. 2MuchStuff

2MuchStuff Member

OK. This is the best I can do after many attempts and resizing for the 250 max. Looks like the clip might have caused the marks you referred to. :arghh: OBVERSE-LOW-0-995-SIZE.jpg OBVERSE-LOW-0-865-SIZE.jpg EDGE-89-8901-SIZE.jpg

8. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I agree with chromerunner. Looks like a slider.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah I'm seeing a slider in these pictures now too. The smaller pictures looked like the coin had possibilities to me. These pictures make it look dead as a doornail, lusterless. On whether it would grade, I'd think it would. Just don't tell them it was encased, force them to judge those dings on their merits.

10. 2MuchStuff

2MuchStuff Member

Thank so much to everyone for all the feedback. If not for the money clip, I might not have the coin now. Better to have "something" vs. nothing at all. Side story... I was given an old non-working watch approx. 20 years ago 'cause I love old stuff. Found it last week unpacking a box, and noticed the tiny 14K GOLD stamp. Turns out to be an early 50's Cyma which is worth $350 - $400, or more depending on the gold amount. Like the coin... Ya never know 'till you ask someone who does know. Bill

Draft saved Draft deleted